Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / We're Expanding!
. 1 . 2 . >>
rmak
# Posted: 15 Sep 2013 17:16 - Edited by: rmak

Last year I spent the summer rebuilding the roof on the cabin my eldest son and I built about 18 years ago.

This year we decided to knock the wall out between the one small room and the porch.

To do this, we needed windows and an outside door.

We hope to build a deck and side the cabin with log siding. We are also planning a pond a planting a lot more trees.

With some good advice from here we will also be installing a small woodstove, solar power for lights and maybe a propane heater to take the chill off when we don't want to have a fire.

We will keep you all posted. Here's a photo with my number one inside and number three son out as we're fitting the door. The middle son is somewhere playing golf.

brokeneck
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 13:27

Looks like some great father son time --cherish it !!

rmak
# Posted: 28 Sep 2013 16:59

Progress! The porch area is enclosed. Replacements for the two side windows on order. As soon as all windows are caulked, sealed and insulated We will be tearing out the interior wall and closing in all of the walls that made up the porch area.

rmak
# Posted: 19 Oct 2013 15:02

What's there to do on a chilly, rainy Ohio day? Tear out walls, of course! This really opens things up.

Purplerules
# Posted: 8 Nov 2013 18:44

Looking good!

rmak
# Posted: 9 Nov 2013 23:11

Thanks Purplerules! We spent the sunny afternoon setting one more window.

Lots more space on the inside. That's for sure!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 07:33

Congrats on the progress! We too hope to expand our Ohio cabin (someday). Hard part is finalizing our expansion design.

My 3 sons will be old enough to help me in a few years (and I'm discouraging golf).

rmak
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 08:51

Limit video game times too!

old old buddy
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 06:32

Reminds of when my son and I built on to our 12X16 two years ago with an additional 8X16. Not only did it open it up but it gave us a "sleeping room" that did not interfere with the original design!

It made it "easier" to control the amount of heat the woodstove puts out also....but it's still not "easy." I don't know if this makes any sense but....the colder it is outside, the easier it is to stay comfortable outside??? Our build-on is a 10" step-down room so that always keeps the sleeping room approximately 6-8 degrees cooler than the cabin...which I like.

Good luck on the rest of your build and sleep-overs

Old Old Buddy

rmak
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 19:45 - Edited by: rmak

Took out the center post and installed a support beam today in a surprisingly warm November Saturday. I got good advice on the Cabin Construction forum about what size would hold the load. Beam is two 2 X 10s, one 2 X 12 and I'm going to attach to what's left of the wall made out of 2 X 6 tongue and groove. I used 4 X 6 vertical supports on the side.

rmak
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 08:47 - Edited by: rmak

Metal roof and log siding delivered. Now we just need a delivery of spring so we can work outside.
However, we've been busy putting up the tongue and groove interior siding. I think it's looking kind of nice.
In other news, we are getting test holes dug for out pond by the cabin. We are praying for lots of clay!

BaconCreek
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 08:52

How difficult is it to install the siding? It looks great.

rmak
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 09:08

I had cheap T-111 paneling on the walls already, so I just screwed the new stuff on. If going over new walls I'd imagine you'd need to screw or nail into studs or nailing strips.

The tongue and groove itself is a breeze. One slips right into the last. Expensive, though. I caught a sale at Menards and saved around $4.00 a board.

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 23:55

Coming together nice! Great pics.

-Brian

rmak
# Posted: 6 Apr 2014 19:01

Made some progress on exterior today. With help from MtnDon and other great people on the Cabin Construction forum I got some direction on how to install the siding.
Here is my version of the "rain wall" approach to siding:

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 10:41

Quoting: rmak
With help from MtnDon and other great people on the Cabin Construction forum I got some direction on how to install the siding.

Good progress, rmak. Keep us posted.
Yes, MtnDon and others had helped many on this forum - we are glad they are willing to share their knowledge.

rmak
# Posted: 12 Apr 2014 19:25

Thanks, Cabinbuilder.
Here's an update. We started the log siding today. I'm thinking it looks real good. Our dream took one more step to becoming real.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 12 Apr 2014 23:04

Looks great, I love the interior pine.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 13 Apr 2014 07:09

It looks really good. Since opening up your space, what is your sq footage?

rmak
# Posted: 13 Apr 2014 08:07

Hi lakeside and ErinsMom!
I now have all of 192 spacious square feet. This is the "Small Cabin" form after all. I'm hoping to have a futon, chair, small desk, woodstove, breakfast nook/kitchen island and still have enough room for my painting easel.

rmak
# Posted: 13 Apr 2014 16:47

One more update for the weekend. Three sides of siding are done. Time for a nap.

rmak
# Posted: 21 Apr 2014 22:21 - Edited by: rmak

Things are happening fast now! We just had test holes dug for our pond. We have plenty of clay, so the pond by our cabin is a go.

An electrician friend of mine helped me with a circuit breaker box that will accept our Honda generator as well as batteries/solar hookup when we can afford that step. He used a pull out switch from an air conditioner unit so we can switch from one power source to another. I can take a photo of the inside if anyone is interested.

We had the steel roof installed.

And we built the raised hearth for our Jotul 602. You can see our wiring job started as well.

MarkG
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 22:38

Looks great! Who/What is the log siding? I like it.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 22:49

Yes, the completed job looks nice.

rmak
# Posted: 24 Apr 2014 23:05

Hi Mark G!
It's 8" spruce with a hand hued appearance. I like it too. Bought at Menards. Thanks for the kind comment.

rmak
# Posted: 27 Apr 2014 22:02 - Edited by: rmak

Sorry for the quality of the photo, but I've been wiring over my head all day and I was a little shaky.
We're pretty excited that we got our woodstove in and electricity. We run off the generator only, but looking at getting batteries soon.
Oh yeah. Got a ceiling fan too.
We can start finishing everything now. I was waiting around until the wiring was done to finalize.

rmak
# Posted: 24 Jun 2014 16:31 - Edited by: rmak

My son and I just got done with the attached box that will house our batteries and store our generator under lock and key.

I will be able to charge the batteries with the generator until we can afford solar panel.

I bought a length of wire to temporarily run the generator 35-40 feet away Thanks to the folks who told me to move it well away from the cabin. I'm also going to get a CO detector next pay to insure no fumes leak into the cabin. When I decide on a spot, I'll run heavier wire underground and build a small shelter for the generator.

I have to stain the box to match, but it doesn't look too bad considering it's circular saw cabinetry.

bukhntr
# Posted: 27 Jun 2014 20:37

I really like the idea for generator storage, I have seen some boxes built free standing, but they seemed to attract more attention. That really blends in well

rmak
# Posted: 29 Jun 2014 20:20

Thanks, bukhntr! Much appreciated. It's also away from the entrance and path people take to get the cabin. This helps make it less noticeable.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jun 2014 22:31 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

place is looking good!!! really like the log siding/metal roof combo

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.