Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Cabin - Eastern Ontario
. 1 . 2 . >>
Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 16:40

Hi

Long time lurker. First time poster. I have been using this site as help/motivation to help fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a small cabin getaway in the woods. I've wanted to do this since I was 11 or 12 years old. We purchased a small piece of land (Half acre, but on a beautiful creek and surrounded by crown land) about 45 minutes outside of Bancroft about 2 1/2 years ago and I have been biding my time.

Finally, this summer, while planning a canoe trip (and realizing how damned expensive it was going to be) I decided to go for it. I took the money allotted to our trip and decided to plan and build a cabin on my property. I had spent the previous two years debating about what type of structure I wanted to build anyways, so I knew that a small cabin was what I wanted. I had researched Yurts (and in fact have a friend here in Ontario who lives in one year round!), tiny homes on trailers, shipping containers, straw bail structures, and everything you can imagine. I kept coming back to my simple cabin in the woods. Then began the fun part.... I have little to no experience with building.

After many sleepless nights stressing about materials (scouring Kijiji and Restore), construction principles (up at night learning on youtube how to properly cut a birdsmouth, lay down tin roof, framing codes and everything else) and I was ready to begin. I had drawn up framing plans and decided on an 8x12 structure with a mono slope roof (12 feet in the front of building and 8 feet at the back) and a loft hung inside at about 7 feet. I purchased windows from Kijiji and had the rest of my basic materials picked out from Home Depot. I decided to build the 8x12 decking for the structure with 2x8 PT wood and used 4x4 PT wood posts at 8 points on deck blocks that were set on gravel that was dug about 18 inches down into the hill.

We framed all of the decking, walls and the loft structure (everything but the roof) in Peterborough the weekend before we decided to actually build. The weekend came and we loaded a trailer with our framed pieces and all the extra lumber needed and went up to the property. Friday was spent digging our post holes and setting and levelling the decking, as well as attaching diamond lathe to the bottom of the floor to prevent mice and other creatures from living down in the floor insulation. The next day we put all the walls up, hung the loft and sheathed the outside. Day after that I had to do the roof. We measured and cut all of our birds-mouths, laid them up there and framed, sheathed and tar papered the roof. The weekend ended with sealing up the place with house wrap and tarping the roof.

A few days throughout the summer were also spent on construction thus far, and that was putting the tin roof on, installing windows and door, as well as hand bending our flashing into soffit and fascia (I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this yourself as it can look terrible). I will be redoing my soffit and fascia next spring, but for now it is sealed at least.

I have had the house wrap exposed for about 8 weeks now and no leaks or anything, but I am now ready to do my siding (I need 400 sq feet essentially, so have to purchase about 450 sq ft). I know there are some mills and lumber yards around the Bancroft area. Does anyone have any suggestions on type of wood (cost is an issue as I don't want to spend more than about $500 on siding)? types of siding? vertical vs horizontal? And does anyone have places in my region that you would recommend using?

Any help would be appreciated immensely. As a first timer doing this I love getting to see this dream come alive, as well as being able to learn so much along the way.

Cheers
some of my land
some of my land
view down to creek
view down to creek
decking
decking
walls up
walls up

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 16:43

More pictures of the progress so far.
Walls and Loft up
Walls and Loft up
Early side view
Early side view
Roof Sheathing
Roof Sheathing
Day two progress
Day two progress

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 16:46

And a third set.
Loft
Loft
Tarped
Tarped
Tin roof on
Tin roof on
window in, crappy fascia job
window in, crappy fascia job

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 16:47

Last for now
Front
Front

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 16:57

Coming along very nicely! Congrats We aren't that far from you. Beautiful part of the province. Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers!

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 17:04

Thanks very much. Beautiful part of the province for sure. I really love the area.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 15:58

So here's the next question... What do you guys out there recommend for heating in the winter? I have insulated. My building, as I've said above, is 8x12, with an 8 foot rear wall and a 12 foot front wall. I think that wood heating will be too hot for the small space, and am worried about how much floor space a fireplace will take up. Suggestions???

groingo
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 16:21

After countless years of using wood last season I made the move to Propane mainly because it was much more controllable and in the end very cost effective and oh yah, no mess!
In your case because propane is very compact that is a bonus and a good vented propane system is like money in the bank and your trees will love you for it, just set and forget!

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 16:46

Are you familiar with any decent indoor propane units? I am trying to be economical. Oh, and no access to power yet.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 17:21

http://www.nuwaystove.com/model2000.php

This one? Anyone familiar?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 17:36

In our 10x10 we have a small woodstove. A few small logs is all it takes to keep us warm and comfy for hours. Not insulated however and haven't tried it yet in the dead of winter.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 27 Sep 2014 12:44

I am going to try a Nu Way stove I believe. Buying, staining and installing siding over 3 days next weekend. Then its time to figure out my heating issue.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 11:49

I don't know how often you'll be up at the cabin. but a propane unit that has self venting is a good thing. the nu way requires a 6" hole in the side of your house to bring cold, er, combustion air in.

the self venting units are more expensive, but my homecomfort have no required clearance behind and only 2" to each side. they were around 4-450 when I bought them (I have 3 ... for various buildings).

are you insulating? or is this just for cool fall nights.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 13:04

Yes insulating fully. I will look into those types of stoves. I thought this was going to be an easy quick search, but it seems more options means I need to take some more time to decide what I want to do.

lost in the woods
# Posted: 13 Oct 2014 20:45 - Edited by: lost in the woods

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 13 Oct 2014 21:19

Well siding went on last week. Decided to go with channel pine from a local mill. Also built a little shelf for inside while I was up there. Was a sloppy weekend of bad weather but got it up. Staining this week as long as it's warm and dry. Recommendations for stain?
20141006_121414.jpg
20141006_121414.jpg
20141006_121348.jpg
20141006_121348.jpg
20141003_131106.jpg
20141003_131106.jpg
20141004_153933.jpg
20141004_153933.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 18:49 - Edited by: creeky

nice looking build, btw. i've heard thompsons water seal (clear) doesn't change the colour of the wood.

i used bear stain opaque in a blue. but i'd let my building age for a few years and needed something to cover the staining.

and like the tarp. sometimes I think using plain old tarps are a lost art.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 23:05

If you dont mind me asking, where did you get the siding and what was the price? We are east of Peterborough and I'm looking for a good source for siding.
Thnaks

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 03:25

Ontario Lakeside, how east of Peterborough are you? There is a sawmill in Madoc about a mile north of highway 7 on highway 62. It's called Wilson's. I just purchased a bunch of 1x6 spruce sheathing there which was $.30 a foot. They have a variety of things and I was impressed with the quality of what I bought. They have pine etc and will do any size order.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 15:07

Ontario LAkeside - I bought the siding at Freymond Lumber, just off hwy 62 a few km south of Bancroft. It was around $700 including my strapping, siding and about 500 sq feet of coverage worth of that pine channel siding. They were fantastic to deal with, and I will be going back once I am ready to cover and finish the wall inside... still have to finish insulation and install my NuWay Stove then I will be covering the walls next spring.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 15:07

Oh, and the quality of the strapping was so nice that I also used their strapping grade pine to do all of my trim!

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 15:10

Creeky - Thanks for the stain advice. I will see if Behr has a clear stain. I always can appreciate another who appreciates a good tarp execution. Made the weekend not only bearable, but downright comfortable to be under there next to a fire in the rain, all the while still able to cook, clean, etc.

creeky
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 17:17

ya. being dry is number three on my list of camp essentials. and part of number one (comfortable place to sleep). i think you can guess number two.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 24 Oct 2014 23:01

Anyone have suggestions on how to build a bench that can be used as a bed?

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 25 Oct 2014 06:24

I plan to make a futon similar to the picture for my cabin. The bottom slides out to make the bed. There is no lifting or having to pull away from the wall. I am also thinking of incorporating the idea into my bunkie I am building. I thought I'd build a bench that could be pulled out to be used as a double or queen sized bed with an air matress on top. The bench would not require the arms and back of the futon so it would take up less space. When I want to use it as a bed, just slide it out.
Futon
Futon
Futon closed
Futon closed
Futon open
Futon open

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 25 Oct 2014 21:13

That's a great idea! Thanks! Think I'll be trying to make one of these this coming spring. I agree that without arms and with a minimal back, if any, it could be slimmed down much more to make it suit a small cabin better.

neb
# Posted: 27 Oct 2014 21:48

I like it a lot. You have done a great job not having done much building prior to building your dream.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 27 Oct 2014 22:48

Thanks very much! It is coming together... I've learned that one of the greatest parts of starting this journey is that it will never be done. Now that the building is complete on the outside, I now have the Inside to focus on as well as the decking and many other things on the property. Has been a very fulfilling venture with many more milestones to reach yet.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 13 Dec 2014 19:24

All insulated last weekend! Now I have a tiny wood stove I have decided to install. Basically just have the stove. Completely new to installing wood stoves. Where should I start and what will I need?

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 13 Dec 2014 19:25

It takes a 6 inch pipe.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.