Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Rustic track lighting
skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 19:37

I wanted to install a light over my couch in my cabin to make it a little brighter for reading. The propane lighting isn't quite bright enough for me anymore as I get older. I have been using some 12v LED lighting to supplement other areas in the cabin. I like to keep things rustic looking and do not want modern light fixtures inside. I also wanted the light above the couch to be more functional than a direct light down. Ultimately I wanted to make some sort of track lighting that did not look modern. What I came up with was two 3.5 watt bulbs each in a short piece of log. The logs are joined together with hollow threaded log used for most lights. They are then held by a frame made from small branches. The entire light can turn left and right as well as each log with the light can swivel front to back. The light runs off my 12 v system and I have a light switch installed on the wall for it. I am quite pleased with the amount of light it throws and I am able to brighten up my table for card playing etc. its definitely different but I like it.
Light
Light
Light #2
Light #2

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 19:39

Not sure why my pics are coming up sideways. But it is attached to the ceiling above

FishHog
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 08:44

very creative. I might just have to make some of those if I show your pic's to Mrs Fishie.

nice job, thanks for sharing.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 11:53 - Edited by: skootamattaschmidty

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback! I love the LED lighting because of the light output versus the drain on the battery. Also in the summer the propane lights give off a ton of heat that the LED's do not! I have incorporated lights into logs in my loft, outhouse and another room. Like I said above, I like to keep things rustic and these are inexpensive to make versus the $100 or so for the Falks propane lights. I plan to use LED lighting exclusively in the log bunkie I am working on.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 18:27

Great idea.
We wanted more light over the kitchen table so I made a pendant light with an LED bulb with a burlap barrel shade from Lowes. Goes better with the cabin decor and it's quiet.
The hissing noise from the propane lanterns kind of bothers me after a while.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.