Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Another 16 x 24
oldhouselights
# Posted: 8 Sep 2010 21:36

A 16 x 24 guest cabin in process.

Photo album at the link below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/oldhouselights/16X24Cabin?authkey=Gv1sRgCKvG__G3qv2f6gE#

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 8 Sep 2010 22:50

Very Impressive, the stone veneer is a great touch!

Kithera
# Posted: 9 Sep 2010 09:00

It's really nice. I'm envious.

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 13:19

oldhouselights
Greetings,

My name is John and I live in west plains Missouri. Am using wife's IPad for this text, so please bare with incorrect spellings or punctuation.

I haven' t read your narrative completely, but did gather that you did this single handed. Is this correct and how many man hours did you invest. I am attempting a 16 x 20 cabin with a 6 ft covered front porch. Already have a concrete slab poured and plumbing roughed in.

How did you come up with the roof truss specs? Of all the cabins I've seen, yours looks most like what I am after. My hat is off to you. Looks great!

Are you comfortable sharing approximate materials cost? I am at a temporary stoppage until I am confident I will have suffucient finds to build it to the "dry" stage I.e. Roof complete.

Looking forward to your words of wisdom and will continue studying your project.
John

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 13:22

Just posted on your site. Inadvertently omitted my email, I am hercatmydog@hotmail.com
John

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 15:06

Welcome and wonderful place!
Any words of wisdom you can pass along for the stone work installation?

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 22:26

Did you do anything to rough up the backsides of your stones? Are they just the way you found them from the beach? We are going to do this and I have a bunch of stones I've collected from the lake but I was too worried they may be too smooth on the backside to bite into the mortar. We also have some stone veneer we picked up at a reuse center. The stone veneer has cut groves on the backsides. Could they be mixed together I wonder?

oldhouselights
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 19:26

The rocks were used as found. I used rock mortar to attach them to the scratch coat. Note that the scratch coat is what is rough. Butter them up about a 1/2", press them on the wall. hold them in place while you use your finger to push the mortar back in around the edges. They will rest on the rocks below them. Some need to held in place for a minute, some need to be held in place with a shovel handle for a little longer. The stones I used were all less then 2" thick.

oldhouselights
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 00:18

I added photos from last season's work to the photo album. It is not finished, but people have stayed in it.

dfosson
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 05:37

Beautiful cabin. Having built my own 16x24 I could follow your construction pictures and understand exactly what you were encountering along the way. Thanks for sharing.

oldhouselights
# Posted: 31 Aug 2017 15:27 - Edited by: oldhouselights

Picasa photo hosting was discontinued by google.
Here is a new link to the photos :
https://tinyurl.com/y78zchzv

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.