Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 10 x 12 Glulam cabin in Cali
sloweather
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 01:08 - Edited by: sloweather

Hi all,

I found this forum whilst looking for info on our glulam logs.

We built this little cabin down in our woods back in 2003. It's made of Glulam logs we ordered from Montana. They are 3 lam pine 2x8 t&g top and bottom, curved log profile outside, t&g profile on the inside.

The floor is slate pattern stamped colored concrete, and the fireplace is a solid masonry Rumford design, pink sandstone inside, random ashlar outside.

We installed Aluminum Lock shingles on the roof.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 01:44

Welcome, slo

great lookin' place

looking forward to more pics

....and

your story (we do love a good story)

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 12:23

Welcome from a fellow tiny cabin dweller! Looks great and as Gary says, bring on the pics. Cheers!

sloweather
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 14:46

Originally, I was going to knock some little rustic thing out of fence posts, peeler cores or lodge poles. I grew up in Illinois where Lincoln and log cabins are famous. Out here along the central California Coast, historically, it's all adobe. The local native trees, like the coast live oak and sycamores on our 10 acres, are way not straight enough for a log cabin.

Then, as most of my projects do, it grew into something more extensive and really cool. I found the Glulam log place and talked with them about it. I sent them a sketch, they sent me a quote, I sent them a check, and a gooseneck trailer showed up from Montana a few weeks later with my logs and some other stuff on it lumber for the posted corners,
log cabin trim for around the outside of the windows and door, and some t&g 2x 8s for the door.

The floor was done by our concrete contractor as an experiment for color and stamping for our driveway up at the house.

I'll find a pic of the log profile later. I put a bead of acrylic caulk along the front of the outside tongue of the top of the bottom log, and then they are pilot drilled and lagged every 18 inches. I drove the lags in with an impact wrench.

The veranda posts are pressure treated fence posts I planed down to look hand peeled and then stained.

My dad, who was 77 or 78 at the time built the fireplace and chimney. I had to put a web cam down there so Mom or I could watch him remotely when he was working alone.

We researched masonry fireplaces and I bought the clay throat, damper, and firebricks to make a legit Rumford style fireplace. It's the smallest one we could make, and if you fire it up too much, will make it really warm in there.

sloweather
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 14:49

The coincidental thing is, I found this forum while searching for the glulam log place. Either they went out of business or lost their domain to a squatter.

And the post that Google found here was regarding making your own glu-lam logs with 3 2 xs, offsetting the center one to form the tongue (top), and groove (bottom. Had I seen that or thought of that back in '03, I might have built it that way instead.

sloweather
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 15:05

Here is a pic of a couple of spare logs, They are laying flat and not quite mated up. I rotated the image so they look vertical and you can see how the milling works. Note the mating ts&gs, and the drip edge milled on the bottom outside of the upper log.

sloweather
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 15:18

Here's a cypress footbridge I built over the seasonal creek last year. The cypress is from trees we planted 20 years ago. The cabin is off frame to the left.

hattie
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 21:54

Love your cabin and love that foot bridge! More photos please!!!

brooksm29
# Posted: 12 Jul 2016 05:07

More pics of inside? More pics period? Great building and the way I wanted to go. I had to keep the shed look to a point as to not draw any unwanted attention...lol.

sloweather
# Posted: 13 Jul 2016 18:05

OK. I'll work on pics and stuff. I'm a little under the weather, 3.5 weeks in to the seasonal virus that's going around.

Hey, y'all wanna know about my 12' satellite dish mortise and tenon gazebo project?

T'aint a cabin, but...

sloweather
# Posted: 15 Jul 2016 16:04

OK, here are some pics...

The cabin and veranda:

The ends of the logs are lapped alternately, and the cheeks rabbetted off. 2 2x8 form the "posted corner", to cover the ends.

Hand cut and laid stone chimney:

Inside and futon:

Surplus windows:

T&G ceiling and ridge beam

sloweather
# Posted: 16 Jul 2016 18:56

BTW, here's a game cam shot from a few years ago when we had foxes living under the slab.

Gary O
# Posted: 18 Jul 2016 23:00

Well

Your cabin

Your cabin is the epitome of the term 'cabin'

It could be the picture page, intro, logo, you name it, of this or any cabin site

Thank
You, slo

For giving us a glimpse

(luv the pic of the porch kits)

sloweather
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 10:40

Thanks Gary O!

RE: the foxes. Yeah, they were cute for a while. We abandonded the woods for a couple of months to let them be. Then it started to stink from all the dead stuff they dragged under the cabin.

And, unbeknownst to us, during that time, yellow jackets made not 1 but 2 huge underground nests down there. The largest has 3 entrances and was the size of a refrigerator, once the exterminators dug it out.

I tried the ol' redneck thing of setting up a shop vac by one of the entrances, sucking up anyone trying to leave or enter.

Over 4 or 5 days, we harvested 15 lbs(!) of them, and didn't really dent their numbers.

abby
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 08:31

LOVE your cabin to the max!!

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 05:50

Quoting: sloweather
Tell ya what, Gary O. Rather than clutter up this forum with stuff I've posted elsewhere, I'll put up a couple of links and you can let me know if they're OK.

Well, I looked (lurked?)
Too many wiggly ads (eats gigs, costs me money).
When you get a moment, please copy/paste here.

cheers

GO'

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.