Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Island/Cabin
. 1 . 2 . >>
Stein
# Posted: 3 Dec 2010 16:19

Hello, first post.

My name is John and I live in Nebraska. I just achieved my dream last week and acquired my own island. It has a cabin on it that was built in 1939.

The island is about 3-4 acres. The cabin structurally is in pretty good condition but has been vacant for 10-15 years so I have a lot of work in front of me. It had new electrical service run to the island 6-7 years ago but the previous owner never hooked it up. It has a well and septic, plus a brick fireplace.

Fortunately, it's only a 30 minute drive from home so it's easy to get out there for even a few hours to work on it.

It needs a lot of work. New roof, windows, update the electrical, new sandpoint and jet pump, all plumbing, water heater, cabinets. Pretty much everything. But, it was cheap.

I've been working on it but will be in limbo soon from the time it goes from open water to enough ice to walk over there so I'm trying to get as much done as I can before it freezes. Windows should be delivered in 2-3 weeks.

Sorry, this is the only picture that I have right now, but will get some interior and exterior shots this weekend.
island.jpg
island.jpg

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 3 Dec 2010 16:53

Welcome to the forum, Stein.

Nice little island you have!
Looking forward to more info.

dk1393
# Posted: 3 Dec 2010 17:06

Sounds pretty nice. Looking foward to some pictures

hattie
# Posted: 3 Dec 2010 20:42

Can't wait until we see more photos :-)

Stein
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 00:14 - Edited by: Stein

Got some pics today. It looks pretty rough in pictures. Got the electrical almost done, should finish tomorrow and then the power company can fire it up and I'll be off generator.

Exterior shots. Don't mind the junk outside. I'm waiting for the lake to freeze to sled everything back to the main shore.

I THINK the log siding is cedar. I don't know what to do to it to treat it. I want to preserve the patina that it has. I don't want to try to clean it or restore the original wood color. I like the grey weathered look. I was going to just linseed oil, but I have since read that it might not be the best solution.

A lot of elbow grease and all of the dark wood will clean up nicely.

There were never any windows, only screens. New windows are on order, custom fit. Should be in by Christmas.

It was 20* today, had to start a fire.

View from the front. Yes, we have a lighthouse on our little lake. It was built in the 1930's as the ticket booth for the public beach. It's 107 feet tall and on the national register of historic places.

bugs
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 11:13

Hi Stein

Lovely (?) cabin. Lots of potential there. Looks like it is reasonably solid and a good starting point. Love the fireplace. The island is super but adds some logistical issues as you have been mentioning.

We were told to use a product called Sikken to preserve the cedar siding on our little shed. We used it inside and out. We went with transparent.

Good luck with your project I am sure you will find it very rewarding.
Bugs

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 11:34

What a fun looking project!
Looks like all rough cut, true dimension, timbers.
What a find!

And a lighthouse (!?)
Will the national register let you have your way with it?
I'd consider maybe a sleeping loft, or writer's escape, if there's room, or maybe an observatory.
What's your plans?

What kind of wildlife, fish?

Stein
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 21:09

Well, this will probably be the last update until it freezes solid for the winter. Had to break ice with the boat today. Got the electrical work done and ready for OPPD to hook up a new meter. Hooked the generator into the main power of the new panel and tested and fixed all of the lights and outlets. Everything works now except one light switch. I ran out. Several of the old ones were hosed, along with some of the light sockets. I didn't bring enough spare ones. Disconnected the generator and reinstalled the new main line that I installed yesterday. It will be nice to have full power everywhere. It worked OK with the generator but dragging around extension cords slowed things down.

Stein
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 21:13 - Edited by: Stein

Quoting: bugs
The island is super but adds some logistical issues as you have been mentioning.

We were told to use a product called Sikken to preserve the cedar siding on our little shed. We used it inside and out. We went with transparent.

Some logistical issues, but nothing that can't be overcome. Most of the heavy stuff like cabinets, shingles, etc will be taken in this winter over the ice via sled and then stored inside. I'm building a floating dock this winter, 8' x 12' that I will be able to disconnect and motor along like a barge next summer when needed. I'm planning to be able to haul my home built loader on it. Don't have a pic with the 48" bucket on it, but here's one with the grapple I built for haling firewood. The loader is 4WD, articulates and weighs about 1800 lbs so I should be able to haul it easily. If I use 9 plastic barrels, it should hold about 3000 lbs. Each barrel is good for 400 lbs, minus the dock itself.

Thanks for the idea on the Sikkens. I'll look into it.

Stein
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 21:18

Quoting: Gary O
Looks like all rough cut, true dimension, timbers.
What a find!

And a lighthouse (!?)
Will the national register let you have your way with it?
I'd consider maybe a sleeping loft, or writer's escape, if there's room, or maybe an observatory.
What's your plans?

What kind of wildlife, fish?

Yes, all true dimension timbers.

As far as the register, the lighthouse is the designated landmark, the cabin is a "contributing structure". I'm doing everything possible to restore it instead of update it where feasible. I am going to add windows, but the original shutters are staying.

It does have two full length lofts, I assume just for sleeping as they are low clearance.

Fishing is good. I fished it last year. It has a nice concrete boat ramp so I can launch my 18' bass boat. There is largemouth bass, crappie and flathead catfish. Tons of geese now. Might have to actually get a stamp.

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 22:38

Quoting: Stein
my home built loader

Not to get off subject, but WOW!
Got details on that intriguing little device?
What keeps the rear wheels on the ground when hauling?

Stein
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 23:34

Quoting: Gary O
Not to get off subject, but WOW!
Got details on that intriguing little device?
What keeps the rear wheels on the ground when hauling?

Weight of the engine over the back plus I added a solid chunk of 5" round steel bar about 18" long bolted to the lower rear. You can see it in the pic. I can lift about 600-700 lbs with the grapple. Designed for 500 bucket limit, but the additional weight added some capacity. Plans to build one here:http://www.cadplans.com/cadtrac.htm

Rob_O
# Posted: 7 Dec 2010 00:16

The cabin and the loader are both too cool for words.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Dec 2010 19:56

wow.your own island.i wonder how much something like that would cost.how wonderful.sorry not being rude.just wondering.u did a good job in getting an island.pretty cool.the cabins in pretty good shape for being so old.and a lite house! can u live in the lite house?? is it liveable?? why a litehouse there i wonder? thats interesting.i am dumb.i always thought litehouses were on the ocean so i learn something new everyday.answer only what u wish.i know some of this is nosey but i am so interested.thanks.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Dec 2010 19:58

i see where u are restoring the litehouse and it has 2 lofts.is there a kitchen in it and a source of heat?? man that is all kinds of fun explorings there.

Stein
# Posted: 8 Dec 2010 20:39 - Edited by: Stein

Sorry, no, not in the lighthouse. The lighthouse was built as the ticket booth for the public beach. Back in the 30's when the beach was developed, it was the train stop on the railway from Lincoln and Omaha. Thus, the beach's name was Linoma. The lighthouse has 10 floors in it. Back in the day you could climb it and there were souvenir shops on each floor to buy trinkets, etc. An early version of a tourist trap. The new owners of the property plan to restore the lighthouse to it's original glory.

When it was built in 1926, the beach was a "destination" stop where people would come out from the city and spend the day. There was an outdoor dance hall, concessions, beach and a restaurant. Remember, this was in the 30's, 40's and 50's. Things were a bit different (slower paced) then.

I remember even in the 70's that it was a treat to go to Linoma Beach when I was growing up. You have to realize that in Nebraska there are very few lakes and virtually all lakes are man made lakes, all mud bottom lakes in farm country so the water quality is very poor. These sandpit lakes on the contrary are all sand bottom so they are pretty clean.

Here is a bit of history on the property.

Linoma Beach was opened in 1926 by co-founders Lawrence Simpson and Harry Shellberg. Simpson was in the lumber business and Schellberg owned Lyman-Richey Sand Company.

They created the "pleasure resort" as one of the main projects of their development company, Linoma Realty.

The lake began as a sand and gravel pit more than 100 years ago. Lyman Richey bought the land in 1907 and quarried there for eight years, creating small lakes fed by underground springs.

When Simpson and Schellberg bought the land in 1924, they came up with the name "Linoma" to indicate the proximity to the area's major cities. They invested $10,000 each into the project, moving 30,000 cubic yards of sand to create a crescent-shaped beach 100 feet wide and 600 feet long around the lake. They soon added picnic and camping areas and recreational buildings.

In 1924, the Gazette described the bathhouse as follows: "A model sanitary bath house was constructed. Plate glass mirrors, electric lights and many conveniences furnish the bathhouse.

An existing farmhouse was converted into a restaurant. A veranda that surrounded the structure became the dance floor. Chicken dinners were offered for 25 cents.

The area was easily accessible by car or train. The Detroit-Lincoln-Denver Highway (now Highway 6) brought visitors by the carload. Simpson felt train access was necessary and he convinced the railroad to stop at Linoma. A platform was built and as many as three trains stopped on Saturdays and Sundays.

The lighthouse was not built until 1939. Its original function was as a filling station and landmark for travelers.

In the May 24, 1939 Gazette, the lighthouse was described as a building "octagonal in shape" built of steel lattice and stucco and illuminated by flood lights.

"The building will boast a tower which will rise 100 feet above the parking area," the article stated. "This tower will have a circular stairway and present plans are that it will be open to the public as an observation tower from which may be seen fine views of the Platte valley."

In 2003, the property was named to the National Register of Historic Places, an honor reserved for properties deemed worthy of preservation in order to preserve our nation's heritage.

As far as "how much would something like that cost" I'm almost embarrassed to say. I have a 10 year lease, $1,600 per year for the whole island and cabin, plus they are letting me spend the first three years' worth of payments, or $4800 for materials to fix the cabin. I've done an estimate and I can do it for that. After the 10 years, I'm on a year-to-year lease with first right of refusal, so basically it's mine until I decide to let it go and the contract is transferable so I'm protected if the property is ever sold.

People have asked me why I would fix something that I don't own. Bear in mind, even if I did own it, the property taxes and insurance would cost that much around here, probably more, and that doesn't even take into consideration the mortgage payments on a type of property that really isn't even available on the open market around here. So, I feel that I got a very good deal.

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Dec 2010 08:01

Quoting: Stein
As far as "how much would something like that cost" I'm almost embarrassed to say. I have a 10 year lease, $1,600 per year for the whole island and cabin, plus they are letting me spend the first three years' worth of payments, or $4800 for materials to fix the cabin. I've done an estimate and I can do it for that. After the 10 years, I'm on a year-to-year lease with first right of refusal, so basically it's mine until I decide to let it go and the contract is transferable so I'm protected if the property is ever sold.

well i think this is a pretty cool way to do something.thats a pretty good deal.cheap and in alot of nature and sounds like u do own it pretty much anyway.who cares.u get what u want all the way around.thats pretty cool.thanks for all the history.i did wonder about Nebraska and how the water/lake situations were there and i did not know any of this.those 25 cent chicken dinners sound pretty good.hee hee.way back when.thank u for this info.

Cabin Covet-er
# Posted: 15 Jun 2011 21:41

Please update us, this is such a cool project!!

Stein
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 10:37

I've never updated this thread but I thought you might like to see how it came out.

Roof and windows installed

Stein
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 10:43

Hauling my little loader over to the island for some site work. Drove it onto my floating dock, barged it over and backed off of the bridge planks onto the island. I cleared a lot of underbrush to prepare the yard..

Rough site prep.

Hauled sod over and sodded the yard. Had my other little loader that I made myself with a forklift attachment.

Stein
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 10:45

How it looks now.

Stein
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 10:47

Stein
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 10:48 - Edited by: Stein

Stein
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 10:52

I re-wired the whole thing, painted and stained the inside, sanded and refinished the floors. I don't have any pics of that currently but will get some and update this thread.

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 10:56

Beautiful landscaping! Unique project!

If you can, get some pics of the cabin from a distance showing it in the landscaping, and interior shots

Thanks for posting

hattie
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 12:02

Beautiful!!! Those lilies are lovely! Can't wait to see some pictures of the inside! Congratulations!! You did a great job!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 15:04

Your a hard working guy!! I'm impressed with your equipment.

Salty Craig

Pookie129
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 19:56

Wow across the board - great job, innovative way to have a cabin, island and nature retreat all to yourself!

I sincerely hope you are taking some time to enjoy the fruits of your labour - well deserved for sure.

Stein
# Posted: 28 Sep 2014 22:01 - Edited by: Stein

Thanks for all of the praise. It was a fun project. I actually forgot about this thread but stumbled upon the small cabin forum when doing some research. We are looking at buying some land in the Canadian Shield around Minaki for a cottage for summers in our upcoming retirement. Hoping to retire at 55 so buy the land now, pay it off and start building in a couple of years.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 06:43

AMAZING camp and remodel/landscaping etc!!!! looks GREAT!!! like the loader as well.
You said the lake has flathead's...I caught one this summer on rod and reel that was 23 lbs...fine eating too!!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.