Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New member from NW Ontario
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 18 Aug 2017 19:26

Hello everyone. I've been browsing a while so figured I'd join and pop up an introduction.
After 20 years of looking, my wife and I purchased property East of Atikokan Ontario, just North of Quetico Provincial Park.
We're in the process of building a 8x13.5 foot bunkie on our property. The bunkie is nestled under a canopy of white/red pine and red maple. Our little lot is covered with mature pines on a sheltered bay of a fair sized lake. I'll post some updates as we continue. We're hoping to finish the gable ends tomorrow, as well as install the door and windows. The metal roofing will be here next week.
P8160451.JPG
P8160451.JPG
P8160452.JPG
P8160452.JPG

razmichael
# Posted: 18 Aug 2017 19:39

Sounds like a great place! Welcome. What are you plans for water, septic and power?

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 18 Aug 2017 19:45

Thanks!
Nothing concrete yet. We're looking at the natures head composting toilet, but are currently using a portable toilet for camping. Water will likely be from the lake and filtered. For power, we just bought two 40 watt solar panels on sale. We're going to play around with it for the bunkie. All we're looking to power is three LED lights, and a couple of outlets for charging phones.
We are eventually building a 20x30 timber frame cabin on the property, that will become our main camp and retirement home.

Just
# Posted: 18 Aug 2017 21:11

I have a ctc 40 watt panel and a 12 volt boat battery and a 200 watt
inverter runs my little camp very well.Nice job on the 10 sq. M bunky..

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 20 Aug 2017 17:15

Do you happen to have a picture of your battery Just? I'm a bit stumped on what to choose for our system, as 12V covers a large array of batteries.

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 20 Aug 2017 17:18

We had a productive day yesterday. The exterior is fully covered and tyveked. Windows and doors are in, and our front door is even keyed the same as our house. The roofing will go up sometime this week, then we just need to foam the doors and windows and we can start thinking about finishing options.
P8190545.JPG
P8190545.JPG
P8190549.JPG
P8190549.JPG
P8190550.JPG
P8190550.JPG
P8190551.JPG
P8190551.JPG

bushbunkie
# Posted: 20 Aug 2017 18:39

Looking good...this is the fun part....the dreaming and building the bunkie😀 We are up on the Bruce Penninsula near lions head...made the leap from bunkie to cabin three years ago....have fun and enjoy the journey.

Just
# Posted: 20 Aug 2017 21:08 - Edited by: Just

this is the battery and inverter we have wallmart battery 31 frame size 149.00 this week ..the inverter is from ctc 200 watt 39$ it runs our small tv ,radio, chargers ,and a small fan one at a time .. we have a mix of lights some led 12 volt and some floresent 110s.
You can buy much better stuff then this and others will say its junk but it has worked for us for the last 9 years with one battery swap out .. good luck. ps install a automotive fuse in each 12 volt line you run I think there is a 110 fuse in the inverter.

Just
# Posted: 20 Aug 2017 21:09

my junk
battery
battery
inverter 200 watt
inverter 200 watt

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 06:25

Thanks for the info Just. Turns out my sisters boyfriend has installed solar systems before. I may be getting a helping hand in that.

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 06:31

We've been making steady progress on the bunkie. The roofing sheets are up. We just need to install the gable ends and cap. Siding is purchased. We got 2x8 log siding. Stain should be picked up today..
Insulation has begun to go in as well. The roof is done, the walls are next.
Now we're trying to figure out what stove to get for thus little cabin.
21458185_10155819169.jpg
21458185_10155819169.jpg

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 08:20

Welcome Whiskey Jack... good to see another Ontario Cabineer Family working at it... I'm near Petawawa / Pembroke area.

I was just in the local Home Hardware and they have a beauty of a wood stove on sale for $699 by SBI/Drolet ? - The Pyropak is $799 which has the "Bump Top" but the one on sale (not in the current flyer) has a Flat Top and a touch smaller... May have been an instore deal though. Reason I mention Flat Top is because you can get a Griddle for the top of it, see link below.

Just something to note... an Iron Woodstove in an unused cabin which get's humid will surface rust fairly quickly and as your building a bunky, occupation will be random / inconsistent. Had that experience with my Jotul 3TD but good coat of Stove Black (post cleaning) solved that...

Griddle Top
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.cast-iron-cooking-griddle-for-wood-stove.100076212 8.html

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 15:33

Thanks for the welcome Steve.
I'll have a look at the SBI locally if they carry it. I already went to their site. Most seem a bit large for our tiny space.
We're currently leaning towards the Cubic Mini Grizzly, or the 3KW Lite.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for rusting on the stove we end up with. Thanks for the tip! I have a lot of cast iron and was planning to leave some there. I'll have to keep a close eye on that as well.

Just
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 17:13

we have 2 of these both in bunkys .T.S.C. LESS THAN 2OO$ cement board surround with air space necessary , they do a good job .
045.JPG
045.JPG
051.JPG
051.JPG
047.JPG
047.JPG

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 21:15

Indeed keep an eye out, many sales in the next 3 weeks and certainly something to grab you.

SBI is the Parent Company for Drolet, Century and others.... quite a few actually, I was surprised...

IF the stove starts to rust, clean it properly with a abrasive stripper (not wire brush) and apply a good quality Stove Black paint... it will stink on first fire (wait at least 24-36 hours before firing, 48 = better) but will be fine afterwards.

Cement Board / Fireboard = old tech & $$$
Use Mag-O Boards which not only surpass cement fibre boards, it's far more environmentally friendly, no off-gassing and can be used as tile backer (wall or floor)... MOST Importantly, HALF THE PRICE of equivalent Cement Boards. I have been using this for a couple of years and absolutely think it's the Cats Meow ! OHHH not Easy to cut forget the score & snap trick... Use a Circ Saw set to 1/2", cut outside (very dusty) and if dust is a bother, a simple face mask is worth it's weight in gold.

REF:
http://magobp.ca/benefits/

FYI: If insuring the place, you have to use CSA approved stove, pipes... everything.... Even Gas (Propane) has just gotten a major Code Update with venting and more... Goodness Gracious the cost of certifying LPG appliances for insurance has also gone nutz... $150-$200 per appliance ! IF you can get someone out...

KabinKat
# Posted: 17 Sep 2017 12:32

Welcome Whiskey!

Very nice project!

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 17 Sep 2017 22:07

Thanks for the welcome Kat!
We got the metal roof done this weekend. I managed to dislocate a rib while leaning against the roof peak. Didn't let it slow me down though (although it did slow me down today).
The stove info is off to the insurance company. I'm hoping to get an answer tomorrow on whether we can use the non certified stove or not. We've been looking at the Drolet Spark, which is probably the smallest certified stove we're going to find, but it will be incredibly tight with a stove that large. We're keeping our fingers crossed that being recreational they'll let it slide.

Just
# Posted: 17 Sep 2017 23:18

Back wall space saving option.
images.jpg
images.jpg

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 18 Sep 2017 06:15

While that would no doubt look amazing, I think that would cost more than our entire bunkie. That's a very cool idea though.

Steve_S
# Posted: 18 Sep 2017 07:07 - Edited by: Steve_S

LOL... Indeed, Bunkie - tight quarters and a very small stove, preferably multi-use is about the only thing top work in there...

BTW The Cubic is on sale right now for $499
And the The Grizzly for $599

Shipped by Canada Post Freight and at your door 4-7 Business Days.

Honestly, either of those is likely your best bet for space, ability to heat quickly but at least with the Grizzly you could do limited cooking (ok, very limited but you'll get your coffee and toast done alright, maybe a bit more if your really inclined). Hopefully your Bunkie is safe & secure, they would be an item someone would trod off with potentially.

Insurance may be tricky - really depends on your existing policy as this would be an add on and some companies will NOT insure a Bunkie (if no actual residence on lot) or even hunt camp out in the bush... That circus hasn't improved over the past couple of years.

Potentially another idea, which I mentioned in other threads... Using a recycled RV Furnace. For my Pump/Power house I used an old Direct Vent RV Propane furnace (RV was being trashed, so) which uses 12V Battery (that I charge independent of everything with a 40W panel) and two propane bottles. My Pumphouse is 12'x6' but hyper insulated. Mine is a Duo-Therm 6500 series but if you poke around RV places & other "Camper Suppliers" or repair shops for RV's you'll likely score one cheap. OR Kijiji ! The only thing I had to do was to make extensions for the intake & exhaust pipes to go through 6" of wall (due to size, I got away with using automotive exhaust pipe, which was a perfect, tight fit). Know anyone tearing down an old trailer - heck even seen entire trailers being sold for < $500 with all their stuff... recycle what you can, rip the old "shack" off it and build a light haul trailer deck on it - OR another Bunkie ::: No permits required as it could be a Tiny House ish thing... Moveable Chicken Coop platform ?

Just
# Posted: 18 Sep 2017 08:18

You might be surprise, if there is local stone avalable and all you have to buy is flue tile and morter then it may be a option next to triple wall stainless. It would be a amazing addition to the little cabin ....

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 18 Sep 2017 21:54

The bunkie itself is already insured on our existing plan. It's just a question of whether or not they will insure with a non certified stove.
We talked to our broker today and he said any decision will take awhile, as it is new ground for the insurance company.
Now we have to decide whether or not to risk the Grizzly, which is our preferred stove.
image4.JPG
image4.JPG

bushbunkie
# Posted: 22 Sep 2017 14:53

Hi Whisky,
As much as folks like the ambience of a wood stove - you may also find that you get overheated quickly and space (storage) becomes a premium when you have to provide safe clearance, etc. There are a number of vented gravity propane furnaces (no electrical required) out there that others have used. You can also, as Steve indicated, use an RV furnace......but I agree....love the woodstove. I waited till we built the bigger place after the Bunkie and put in an Elmira woodstove....luv Kijiji!!

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 22 Sep 2017 20:06

That's our conundrum. I despise RV stoves and love wood. I think we're going to end up with the Grizzly and skip fire insurance if it comes down to that.
The main cabin will eventually have a wood cook stove. I've wanted one for decades.
I'm actually in the bunkie now. Working on exterior trim this weekend.
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Sep 2017 06:11 - Edited by: Steve_S

The Grizzly isn't that big, only 12 x 11 x 15 and should have no problem with insurance although they may now ask to have it WETT Certified (my local Building Inspector said they (Ins. Co's) are requiring it now, so it depends on your insurance co. The Wall Mount kit for it may also work in favour for you...

RV'ers & Boaters have created a huge industry on small & efficient stoves & more.... the default factory stuff can be crud to really nice but the after market in their worlds are chocked full of goodies which can be used for Tiny Homes, Bunkies & Cabins... Don't discount what you can find in their after market.

BTW: For Sheddies, Bunkies, Tiny Houses and even small cabins, RV & Marine folks have created a whole world for Solar Kits & Bundles with some darn good pricing for what they are.

This is one such place (Yves focusses on sail boats) but does RV & Sm cabin kits too) and he has good deals available although prices just jumped a bit.. His site is French (just outside of Montreal) but you can bing translate it & he does speak very good English. http://www.energie-abordable.com/Ensemble_pour_chalet.htm
NOTE fridge conversion kits, DIY your own fridge, 12/24 volt kits (not easy to find stuff) It's a little zekret eh...

The local BMR & Home Hardware just put out this falls line up of Wood fired Cookstoves from J.A. Roby Ohh My ! have a look at JA's site and do a little gawking like I did... LOL
http://www.jaroby.com/en/produits.php?cat=15&sec=1

Here's BMR's pricing for a couple of the JA models:
https://www.bmr.co/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=cook+stove BTW: the Big One went up $300 from last year, and we all know prices never go down, just up & up & up.

I've been busy siding my place, what a chore doing it with Live Edge Cedar but the effect is as I wanted... so well worth the extra fiddly time and detailing... below is a pic of my Porch Area (WIP photo, incomplete and still needs porch roof and trimmings) Well if you consider 5 days effort on that wall, from strapping to finish... Most fiddly due to porch prep.

FYI: The item at the top of the Gable is apparently only available in limited quantities this year only due to the 150th, so I just Had To ! perfect detail IMO.... What every Canadian Cabineer should have... hehehe
East, Porch side
East, Porch side

Just
# Posted: 23 Sep 2017 08:36

Your place looks great Steve congrats!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Sep 2017 09:54

I remember those days.
Please savor
enjoy

and welcome
(love the handle)

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 24 Sep 2017 21:23

Thanks for the info Steve. I'll start looking more towards the RV and boat area.
I'm pretty sure we're going to go with the Grizzly. The wall mount and possibly the fresh air intake will also be part of the order. Now I just need to figure out all the stove pipe.
I've been researching wood cookstoves for several years now. There is an issue with the JA Robys that turned me off of them, but I can't remember what it was. Might have been the lack of a water jacket. We stop to look at their display model in Home Hardware every time we're there. I'm pretty set on a Pioneer Princess at the moment. With our main cabin being only 600 square feet, most of the stoves will overheat it in a hurry.
Your siding looks amazing! We just started staining ours. 2x8 Norway Hewn log siding. It should look pretty nice when it's up.
Where did you get the compass at the top? That's a pretty sweet accent.

Gary, thanks for the welcome!

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 24 Sep 2017 21:29

Here's our progress from the weekend. The insulation is almost completed as well. Just the peak sections left to finish.
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG

Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Sep 2017 06:31

There Whiskey ! Yep, those stoves always catch my eye too, almost magnetic if you know what I mean... My shack is only 500 square feet, so overheating in a hurry I totally understand. I also put in single zone Radiant Floor Heat into my FPSF Slab with a kit I bought from The Radiant Company

I got the "Compass" from Castle Building Supply, the local Home Hardware also carried them. There is the large version which I have and a small one about 2/3's the size, I paid $89 for it. A Quick Search popped this up https://www.berryhill.ca/Canada-Wall-Art-p/14617474.htm BUT @ $139 ugh...

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.