Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Meloj bunk Cabin
meloj
# Posted: 14 May 2018 11:28

Now that the snow has finally cleared in Ontario I was able to get my dad and brother for 3 full days of work.

We bought a 5 acre property last fall which has some water access on a channel on two larger lakes.

We are up in North Frontenac and really happy to finally get going.

Our goal was to build a small bunk cabin. We used the Cottage life bunkie as our guide for the build.

Our land is mostly rock and we found a nice spot tucked into a section of bush which had a pretty flat spot. Because we cant dig in most spots we chose to sit the bunk on blocks, as well I chose that in the event we ever need to attempt to move it.

We managed to get most of the build done as well as the outhouse. I had gone up a month earlier to get the outhouse done but there was just too much snow, so we left the materials wrapped up which ended up nearly in a swamp after all the snow melted. Getting to that ended up being an adventure, it was saved by an ice pad still under the material pile....
Firepit
Firepit
Channel
Channel
Lake Chanel
Lake Chanel
From Loft
From Loft

meloj
# Posted: 14 May 2018 11:36

There is the floor, we added a 2 inch foam and sealed the seams.
As well we went with a T&G floor over it, I was going to lay down a pine after and the local supplier noted this product would also work instead of plywood and a second layer for a bunk

We got the floor and walls done really fast, my dad is a fast framer. He well outdid me while I finished the outhouse.

We got the floor and framing done on day 1, as well as saving the outhouse materials, and getting it mostly set up.

The last picture with the roof and front 6x6 beams was day 2. Getting the 6x6 posts and roof stick framing right took a little time.
Floor - with Bro
Floor - with Bro
Dad is fast framer
Dad is fast framer
framing
framing
with roof
with roof

meloj
# Posted: 14 May 2018 11:46

We did roof boards for a little better look on the inside. Will have a underlay and steel roof. Steel should be arriving soon.

Day 2 we started the roof boards.

Day 3 we got the roof boards finished, I did the loft floor, and we got the siding panels up. Even despite the fact I goofed up on the order after making a change and had to run out to buy more panels!

We wanted to get down some water and ice shield to cover the roof until I can get the steel done. We got 2 of the 6 pieces up before we ran out of light.

On day 4 we hoped to finish up the roof and finish sealing. However it was raining pretty hard so we got a tarp up to keep the water out for now.

But we did manage to get the windows and doors installed and foamed.

Heading back this weekend with the family and just need to fill in a few gaps to keep the bugs out.

All in it was a great 3 days of building with my family. Was happy to have the help as they live 3.5 hours south of me so its a very long trip as its another 4 hours from my house.
Me up in the loft
Me up in the loft
View from my loft
View from my loft
Inside the loft
Inside the loft
Done for the week
Done for the week

DaveBell
# Posted: 14 May 2018 13:43

Nice view to water! Are you going to put in a wood stove?

meloj
# Posted: 14 May 2018 13:49

Ya I might do that. Its such a tiny space! My brother in law has a bunk and did put in a small stove. It really cooks up the place but when you go in the winter and its -20 degrees it is nice.

It for sure extends the time you can visit and it gets cold in norther ontario and stays cold for a long time.

meloj
# Posted: 14 May 2018 13:50 - Edited by: meloj

Quoting: DaveBell
Nice view to water! Are you going to put in a wood stove?

Ya I might do that. Its such a tiny space! My brother in law has a bunk and did put in a small stove. It really cooks up the place but when you go in the winter and its -20 degrees it is nice.

It for sure extends the time you can visit and it gets cold in norther ontario and stays cold for a long time.

meloj
# Posted: 18 Oct 2018 16:56

I really didn't get as much done this year as I had intended. However the main goal was to get my bunk cabin built this year. We got the cabin mostly done right away. I will get a few pictures of the bunks I built inside for the kids. I did a 3 level bunk bed, plus I have the loft which I have included in the pictures. I still have to build the fixed loft ladder, but I managed to set it up in a way that my wife is comfortable with for now.

I did finally get around to finishing the roof and for the most part the cabin is done as a structure. Next year I will get it all finished and looking pretty.

Most importantly we got to enjoy our cabin and my kids loved being up there!
Outside with roof
Outside with roof
Loft
Loft
pit
pit
lake
lake

meloj
# Posted: 18 Oct 2018 17:07

I am going up this weekend to clean up all the little messes from building and such. As well I started some firewood piles, cutting up some more wood and such. Hopefully manage one more fishing stop on the lake.

I was given a really nice canoe from a friend of my dad's, I was really happy to bring it up and give it a test. Took my boys out for their first Canoe ride just into the first part of the lake.
My first catch on the lake
My first catch on the lake
My two boys first rip on the canoe
My two boys first rip on the canoe

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Oct 2018 19:15

The cabin looks liek the Kenora from townandcountryplans.com

Nice property. Cabin loojks so inviting up there, need a teeny little woodstove now.

Nice work on everything.

meloj
# Posted: 20 Oct 2018 20:26

I probably will put in a small stove down the road. You're right that looks pretty similar. It's the cottage life bunkie plan that is 108 sq feet. However I likely could have stretch it a bit bigger as my neighbours tell me they are pretty relaxed in North Frontenac where we are.

We still have one under 2 this summer so she was in a playpen. When I can reclaim all the space I will look at heating for those cool nights and some winter visits.

I'm going up tomorrow and it's going to be 0 or just below freezing so we might opt to sleep at my brother in laws who has a stove.

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 22 Oct 2018 18:47

Nice lake! Nice smallmouth!

meloj
# Posted: 23 Oct 2018 15:36

Made it up for a final trip of the season, some fresh snow in the morning served as a nice reminder of what is coming.

I had a good amount of metal left over and supplies from the bunk build, so I decided to add a little extension on the back for a storage area. Next year I will put up some boards to cover two of the sides and it can be an open storage area for wood and various things.

Still so much to do but put a bow on it for one year with some more building and various clean up projects around the property.
Cleaned up and said goodbye
Cleaned up and said goodbye
log for the pillar
log for the pillar
little extension
little extension
IMG_20181022_135158..jpg
IMG_20181022_135158..jpg

meloj
# Posted: 13 Jan 2020 12:09

In 2019 we did not do much at the cabin property! My intention was to do a shower and screen room. However we were selling our main residence, renovating and then a weird GTA market which caused 3 deals to fall through.... destroyed my spring and summer.

Did manage a few minor projects and was able to escape our busy life for some weekends away to relax.

I got the cabin stained finally! I didn't get to it last year and it did only suffer minor water stains but I made sure to get out at the end of the season to get it done.

We have a nice lookout area and we spent the one trip thinning and clean it out, it had mostly just small new growth. As well I cut a few trails to this area.

Someone had asked at some point about my 3 level bunks in the cabin. Attached a picture. These are incomplete as we have only been using the floor and middle one, the stairs are yet to be completed.... However now that our 3rd is out of a crib I need to do a railing on the 3rd level for my oldest to move everyone up a level.

We have a bit over 5 acres and I don't often get to the back end of the property. Turns out I lost a tree over the lake road at some point, got to cleaning up the bulk and cut a few boards I can later use for something. Been drying in my garage and will clean up. Was a good excuse to use the chainsaw attachment someone gave me as a gift previously.

I should have more opportunity to do projects in 2020 once everything melts away around late April or May. So the outdoor shower and screen room should be back on the docket! After that we will have a pretty comfy camp and I can work on the cabin more, likely put in a small wood stove like a Grizzly to extend our stays. The cabin only has floor insulation so even early fall or late spring can be chilly.
Finally Stained
Finally Stained
new area cleaned up
new area cleaned up
bunk beds
bunk beds
Few boards
Few boards

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.