Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Low-cost Imported Laminate Flooring - so sad
KinAlberta
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 22:50 - Edited by: KinAlberta

You get what you pay for I guess... if not more...

High levels of formaldehyde found in Chinese-made floors sold in North America | Globalnews.ca

http://globalnews.ca/news/1594273/high-levels-of-formaldehyde-found-in-chinese-made-f loors-sold-in-north-america/

Think that new hardwood floor is made in Canada? Think again - National | Globalnews.ca
Excerpt:

"The problem isn't so much lower cost competition – at least from the perspective of the consumer, who has benefited from lower prices – but where the flooring is sourced from.

And as Chinese wood-based flooring imports continue to grow, there's also increasing concern about the lax oversight in China over chemicals used in its manufacturing, such as urea-formaldehyde or "UF", a known carcinogen."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1594346/think-that-new-hardwood-floor-is-made-in-canada-thi nk-again/

Then tonight:

60 Minutes - Lumber Liquidators linked to health and safety violations - CBS News

Excerpt:
"Anderson Cooper: Do you have any idea how much of this wood is in people's homes right now?

Richard Drury: We believe there are probably tens of thousands of households in California that have installed Lumber Liquidators Chinese laminates that may exceed formaldehyde standards

Anderson Cooper: Nationwide?

Richard Drury: Nationwide, its probably hundreds of thousands.

Drury and Larson bought more than 150 boxes ..., every single sample of Chinese-made laminate flooring from Lumber Liquidators failed to meet California formaldehyde emissions standards. Many by a large margin.

Richard Drury: The average level in Lumber Liquidators products that we found was over six to seven times above the state standard for formaldehyde. And we found some that were close to 20 times above the level that's allowed to be sold.

Anderson Cooper: That sounds like a huge amount.

Denny Larson: It's a huge amount

Richard Drury: It's a startling amount. It was so high, in fact, that one of our test labs thought their machine was broken. ..."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lumber-liquidators-linked-to-health-and-safety-violations /

rmak
# Posted: 2 Mar 2015 23:13

Pretty scary stuff. It appears that anything made in China will be made to your specifications, even the label falsely saying the product meets health standards.

The really scary part is this is just the tip of the iceberg. It reminds me of tobacco. Everyone knew it kills people, but it made so much money people pretended it didn't. Everybody knows the stuff we get from China is crap and probably unhealthy crap, but someone is making money with it so no body does anything about it.

What's stopping us from making our own stuff here in America (or Canada, or wherever you are from)? Nobody I asked has given me a real reasonable explanation.

smallworks
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 00:24

Thanks, Kin-
We don't have TV and haven't heard it on the news yet... we'll be flooring someday-----------

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 03:18 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Let's not forget about all the Chinese drywall that was used in houses in FL in 2001-2007.So full of chemicals that the houses were condemed. People would not even buy a house on the same street as a Chinese drywall house because the drywall was so toxic.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 08:54

Quoting: silverwaterlady
Let's not forget about all the Chinese drywall that was used in houses in FL in 2001-2007.So full of chemicals that the houses were condemed. People would not even buy a house on the same street as a Chinese drywall house because the drywall was so toxic.

I remember that, was corroding all the wiring and plumbing, the mechanical were literally rotting away inside the house. I think even nails too. I remember looking at a power panel, looks like it was in the bottom of salt water for a year to two.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 09:54

I have laminate flooring and I hate it. Looks good but one good water leak from a dishwasher or even water tracked in the front door has caused it to warp badly.
It isn't even that affordable. I looked at boxes to replace the damaged parts and it is $80 a box.

hattie
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 12:34

I saw that story on 60 Minutes and couldn't believe it!!! The manufacturer in China even admitted that they were mislabeling the products illegally to make them look safe.

They also said that when they tested the products they thought their machines were off because the readings were so high. They checked their machines and they were reading it correctly. This is pretty frightening stuff!! It seems that so much of the stuff from China is really, really bad! If I have an option now I avoid anything made in China but sometimes you don't have a choice.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 12:55

Wow! Think Lumber Liquidators and many others were aware? Shame on them, China, and our governments which are suppose to have our best interest at heart-Ha! Buyer beware!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 16:48 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I bet conditions are being written into new contracts 'as we speak'.

Still, it may not be a big deal to future buyers a decade or two down the road. However if you have then that's 20 times the acceptable health level...

INDOOR AIR POLLUTION:
AN EVALUATION OF THREE AGENTS

http://enhs.umn.edu/current/5103/air/formaldehyde.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.