Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Separett Urine Diverting Composting Toilet
rockies
# Posted: 12 Apr 2017 18:41

Apparently if you mix urine and solid wastes in the same composting toilet chamber the urine causes the composting process to temporarily stop. This type of toilet separates the wastes allowing a faster decomposition.

http://www.separett.ca/

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Apr 2017 21:37

I'll keep my $1400

and use this
http://www.omick.net/composting_toilets/bucket_barrel_toilet.htm

rockies
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 20:34

Hmm. What an extremely site specific solution. It's always possible to build something yourself but the site says this system is best used in a mild climate like Arizona or possibly Oregon. Colder climates require the bucket to be kept indoors so that the temperature in the bucket remains high enough to allow composting to occur.

Quote: "The Bucket-to-Barrel Composting Toilet system described here involves using a 5 gallon bucket as a toilet receptacle. When the bucket is full it is emptied into a 55 gallon barrel."

So you should keep 5 gallons worth of waste sitting inside your cabin until it can be transferred to the big barrel?

Quote: "Unfortunately, it is doubtful, given the current regulatory climate, that "it" (meaning this system?) could be permitted. Regulators are typically cautious about what they will grant permits for and most feel that a toilet system requiring manual emptying of buckets containing feces into a composting chamber involves too much risk of contamination."

Quote: "Urine, which is collected in a separate bucket, is diluted with water and emptied daily into mulch basins around trees and shrubs. The number of buckets and barrels used is flexible and is based on the number of people using the system."

I think that if you're living in a warm, dry environment where the bucket can be placed outdoors then this system might work as "basic sanitation" (in other words, one step up from a hole in the ground). At least they address the issue of not mixing the urine in with the solids (although the whole process as described seems to be a tremendous amount of work.

I'd prefer to pay the money for a urine separating indoor toilet and have a bathroom that looks and acts a bit more like a traditional bathroom.

Bret
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 21:19

Or :
https://www.separett-usa-orders.com/collections/privy-outhouse-and-camping-toilets/pr oducts/privy-500
This provides you with the molded plastic separator that is the guts of the system.
Then build your on throne.
This works well inside our cabin. Three years now and you can't tell we have indoor plumbing without the plumbing
Here are some pictures.
The throne
The throne
The plastic separator
The plastic separator
Parts to the puzzle
Parts to the puzzle

rockies
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 22:56

That's a nice way to add extra storage in the bathroom.

The main advantage to using this type of diverting toilet (rather than a traditional composting toilet like ones from Sun Mar, etc) is that most people don't know that mixing urine with the solids stops the composting process (sometimes for quite a while). The two wastes should never be mixed if you want compost.

Gary O
# Posted: 14 Apr 2017 01:04

Quoting: rockies
I'd prefer to pay the money for a urine separating indoor toilet and have a bathroom that looks and acts a bit more like a traditional bathroom.

Actually, I transfer the contents of the bucket to a compost bin of straw and pine needles.
Not worried about keeping urine separate from the mud bunnies.

aaand

I don't crap in my house.

I think I'll spend the $1400 on something a bit more grand than a toilet.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.