Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Public Works a handbook for self reliant living
Nobadays
# Posted: 30 Jan 2020 15:45

Am I the only one with this book.... or does anyone else have this?

My father gave this to me in about 1980 when I first started building a log house (3000sqft, not a cabin.) I referenced it for all kinds of useful information on log working, framing with dimensional lumber, joists, roof rafters, wall construction.... heck plumbing and wiring. It doesn't stop there, first aid, car repair, ber keeping, farming/gardening, canning.... just about everything you can imagine.... kind like a "Google" on paper!

This was published in 1974 and much/most of the information comes from US Government pamphlets, papers, military and other publicly available sources (pre-internet.) I Google/Youtube for information lime just about everybody else but.... you can lay the book open right where you are working... cutting a rafter bird's mouth, or sistering a joist, and it doesn't go to screen saver! Old information but still relevant.

Someone was asking about plumbing... included a photo out of the book... more details than those just in the photo.

A lot of information for those just beginning this cabin... self reliant living thing. Had mine out today looking something up and thought I would pass it along. I see copies available on Amazon and Ebay in case you are interested.
Book
Book
My old copy
My old copy
Plumbing
Plumbing

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 2 Feb 2020 10:38

Thanks! There's 1 less copy available on eBay now That looks like a great reference to have on hand. Looks like the editor made a newer book that might be very similar: Big Book of Self-Reliant Living: Advice And Information On Just About Everything You Need to Know to Live on Plant Earth edited by Walter Szykitka

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Feb 2020 13:29 - Edited by: Nobadays

Hope you find it as useful as I have! Thanks for the heads up on his newer book... I'm going to go take a look it!

Edit: Revised, updated 2009.... found one on Ebay w/free shipping $4.63 w/tax... I'm in!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Feb 2020 23:17

Got mine coming, used from Amazon, last one.

Nobadays
# Posted: 3 Feb 2020 08:41

Hope you like it.... packed full of information! I ordered the newest book, it doesn't have as good of reviews and at least one reviewer thought the older version was better. But hey, I found a used copy for under $5.00 so worth it to me!

Nobadays
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 17:39

So... got the updated version. Would definitely agree with other reviewers who think the old version was better. Here is the run down.

46 pages of first aid
63 pages of survival
171 pages of health issues
108 pages of food and nutrition
136 pages for farm and home... but no real building info
75 pages devoted to tool introductions

Yeah... a lot of information but just not as useful as the old book when it comes to practical information for cabin builders/living.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 19:18

Got it, mine looks old, it was Amazon, but they listed it as used, no new. Pages are brownish. Cool, loads of stuff, thick too. Heck, it even has tax tables from 1973.

Nobadays
# Posted: 9 Feb 2020 23:18

Sounds like you got the 1974 version... that is most definitely the better book, loads more building/homesteading related information. It's dated.... yeah who needs a 1973 tax table .... but still a lot of relevant info. The 2009 edition... good health, nutrition and some gardening/preserving info but a lot less useful building related material. I wouldn't recommend it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.