Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / How many ham radio operators in here?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .
Dillio187
# Posted: 15 Jan 2015 12:02

dang, I guess I missed this thread by a few weeks. 40M has been doing really well for me lately, even down into Venezuela. That might be a better bet to get more people involved across the continental US.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 17:16

Since my last post here, I've added a IC-746 Pro...wonderful radio! Unfortunately, it suffered the know loss of transmit about 6 months later.
Picked up a 2nd 746 Pro that already had the no backlight issue, but transmitted fine.
2 weeks later it lost transmit!
So now I have two 746 radios that Paul Hansen will be repairing. Both issues are easy fixes apparently.

Picked up a Kenwood TS 430s, PS30 power supply, and an MFJ 949c tuner yesterday. This rig works very well...picked up Brazil this evening on 28.435.

Heads up to those seeking license upgrade...the tests will go to a new question pool sometime in June or July, so If you've been studying the current question pool...be sure to take the test before June!

Tarmetto
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 17:23

Oh!...and I picked up a 93 Grand Cherokee LTD a few weeks ago (73k original miles!)...I immediately rigged it with my IC-706mkIIg.
Gutted the center glove box and installed the radio body, a small rigrunner, and ran my radio power, phone charger, and GPS power from the rigrunner.
Mounted the 706 faceplate on a modified GPS holder.
Also mounted a center channel PC speaker for the auxiliary on the passenger side of console.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 08:53

That is a fantastic radio, too bad they are no longer made. Hey, if you use it for 2m and 440, there may be the optional DTMF mic for it. I upgraded my Yaesu FT857D with a DTMF mic. I may pick up another and mount it in my truck. I have been thinking hard about going HF i n my truck, nice Tarheel screwdriver antenna, nice auto tuner...

I love those flex mounts. I use the Panavise flex mounts in all my mobile installations.

Don_P
# Posted: 14 Apr 2016 22:12

One more, I passed the technician's tonite. A friend twisted my arm a couple of weeks ago, I spent 2 nights on the hamtest site... I don't think it covered a single question on the test though. Much easier than when I studied for it in junior high, I never mastered CW back then and had forgotten about it. I used to enjoy just listening to shortwave broadcasts but life carries us in different directions. I hadn't studied the general at all but felt froggy, missed almost half of them . My friend was trying for her extra, she was still at it when I left.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Apr 2016 23:12

Don, congrats. Nice work, keep the momentum going and do the general next, the HF band is where its at. Its all fun, but HF is the shizzle.

73 from a fellow ham and welcome to the brotherhood.

Use this link to keep an eye open for your call sign. You will no longer get a license in the mail. Once the call shows up, legal to TX.
If you set up a profile at the FCC ULS page, you can change it to paper or download the official version or even an official copy.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAmateur.jsp;JSESSIONID_ULSSEARCH=cQbQ T2LSJJRmXVcTXJjSqrr80DbBnp5ZlzGnHL8l08xqQDMFsLHm!1902450820!-1568652259

Don_P
# Posted: 15 Apr 2016 07:18

Thanks Toyota,
My sister has always said she wanted to get me a "slow children" T shirt... only took 45 years
One of the things that prompted me is the projects some of the guys are working on for teaching... not really sure what directions it'll take.
Thanks for the heads up, I would have been watching the mailbox, although I'm probably in good hands, my friend's hubby, also a technician, just emailed that she passed the extra exam.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Apr 2016 10:30 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Don, what state you in? A zip code and I can keep an eye open for you too. Depending on how quick the VEC sends it in, you can be legal for transmit middle or early next week. Drop me an email with state and zip, I assume your profile/user name here matches real name, I should be able to find it. I will email you back your call.

toyota_mdt_tech@yahoo.com

I think all cabineers should be hams. It just goes with remoteness, prepper, bugging out, off grid...

I have gotten 2 more hams signed up in the area where my cabin is located.

Its a science hobby and the more you get into it, the more sense it will make (especially in the antenna part) and the more you will experiment. You're a sharp fella Don, this is right up your alley.

As soon as you get your callsign, go to QRZ, active your webpage and then you can do a profile. Personal info is only available to hams and only visible to license hams. http://www.qrz.com. It will show up a day after you call shows up, then you just activate it.

Don_P
# Posted: 16 Apr 2016 14:20 - Edited by: Don_P

Just another Saturday, in from the chicken massacree and heading out to log, the dawg helped himself to the coffee cake and looks miserable
One of the VE's just emailed, my call sign must be posted.
Thanks for the QRZ link, I'll check it out this evening.

trailhopper
# Posted: 26 Oct 2016 13:40

Ham here in Mi,
KD8VOF

Bevis
# Posted: 26 Oct 2016 14:29

I kept putting it off and ran out of time on taking the test in June. Now I need to get back into the new material...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Oct 2016 14:48

Bevis, drop me an email at my call in this forum @yahoo.com, I have a system that makes it so easy, you WILL be test ready in 3 weeks with a score of 94% or higher. That is giving it 1 hour a day, includes weekends, and you can certainly do more hours. That was the minimum. (Technician and General)

My system works for Extra too, but takes a 4-5 weeks.

Bevis
# Posted: 30 Oct 2016 16:52

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Bevis, drop me an email at my call in this forum @yahoo.com

wrote it down, but misplaced it. send it to me at my forum name dot med7@gmail.com

xuanle
# Posted: 1 Nov 2016 07:51

nothing. But i think i can impressive latter

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Nov 2016 22:38

Quoting: xuanle
nothing. But i think i can impressive latter

Can you translate the chinese to engrish please?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:30

OK, cabin builder pointed out this thread.

OK, I do field day at my place with a large group of ham buddies, jsut good clean fun, campsites are full of RV's with radio gear, we all head over Friday AM, setup, gather around rangers station for a spaghetti dinner and rag chew, then its starts in my time zone at 11AM. After its all over, we have an awards ceremony, I hand out ham radio related goodies.

We have top operator for most contacts and there is other awards, ie multi modes, station set up etc. This is done over dinner Sat evening. Then we all head out Monday AM. I started this in 2013 with myself, neighbor and grandson, just 3 hams and its really swelled up. In 2020, we will have the 8th annual Double J Ranch field day gathering. Campsites are limited, but with 40 acres, we have all kinds of boon-dogging options available.

Anyway, just reviving this thread.

Any other hams in here, chime in. I have spoken to our own basjam and dillio187 on the radio from my home location (QTH)

justinbowser
# Posted: 2 Dec 2019 13:09

I just returned from a week at the cabin over Thanksgiving. I took my Yaesu FT-707 and an MFJ-2240 portable dipole and worked a few stations while I was not working on the cabin. I was amazed at how much "quieter" 40M was compared with my noise level in town! I heard stations from Europe and Brazil I had never heard in the city. Unfortunately with only 100 watts I wasn't able to get through the clutter and make contact.

I did discover that my 1500 Samlex inverter generates noise that almost pegs the S-Meter so I I had to turn it off and run from generator while operating which did not make XYL very happy. I suppose I will need to find a way to filter this noise or find a different inverter that is quieter.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 23 Feb 2020 17:05

Toyota,

Thanks for the advice re: hamtestonline. I just passed the extra. The previous two exams I just took practice tests on qrz.com. Someday I'll get connected to an antenna and give you a shout. I've got an "antique" Kenwood TS130 sitting in the basement waiting for an antenna.

SE Ohio

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Feb 2020 17:40 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Congrats on the extra. I said to myself after General, I am good where I am at, then realized I wasnt done, so went back to studying and a month later, did the extra upgrade, that was years ago, never looked back. Feel free to email me your call sign, I will reply back, its my username in here followed by @ yahoo dot com. i do check that email once a month of twice.

mj1angier
# Posted: 24 Feb 2020 10:50

I have my tech lic and I really need to take time to study to move up to the next level. Maybe when we all are stuck inside trying not to get the coranvirus I can do it, lol

justinbowser
# Posted: 3 Mar 2020 01:06 - Edited by: justinbowser

Was up at the cabin last week and stuck the MFJ-2240 portable dipole up 25' and was able to work two stations in Italy! I will put up a proper 40/20 wire dipole this summer but I was really impressed the little MFJ got out that far. It probably helps that the cabin is at 960'.
Cabin_Antenna_1.jpg
Cabin_Antenna_1.jpg

Nate R
# Posted: 22 Feb 2024 13:36

Just found this thread.

Got my Tech in '05, let it lapse in 15..didn't even think about it.
Last October, re-took my Tech and then my General in the same sitting. Thinking I may take my Extra before the question pool turns over this year.

Built a QRP-Labs QDX in October, and using that on 20m with an attic antenna at home for now, and got a 25W amp to get my signals out of the attic a bit better.

Just received a KiwiSDR2, and thinking I'll get this set up at the cabin this year to take advantage of what I assume will be MUCH quieter than my main QTH. Longer term, likely to get some sort of remote digi setup to be able to transmit from the cabin while at home.

Enjoying 20m and learning the ways of HF propagation! Gotta finish my high band QDX soon so I can get on 10 meters while it's hot!

-Nate
N8BTR

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Feb 2024 05:52

What do you mean you let it lapse? I thought they never expired?

Nate R
# Posted: 23 Feb 2024 07:37 - Edited by: Nate R

Quoting: Brettny
What do you mean you let it lapse? I thought they never expired?

Amateur radio licenses in the US are good for 10 years. Renewal is simple, no re-test.
There's something like a 2 year grace period after that...but then you're out of luck.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Feb 2024 07:59

Quoting: Nate R
Amateur radio licenses in the US are good for 10 years. Renewal is simple, no re-test.
There's something like a 2 year grace period after that...but then you're out of luck.

Set up an account with your FRN number, then a few mouse clicks, its done. It now cost $35. But good for 10 years.

You have 2 years grace period, after that, gone. But new rule, if you are an extra class and it expired, you take the technician test, you are back to extra. That is a new change.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Feb 2024 08:00

Field day at my cabin, campsites all full.
site 1
site 1
site 2
site 2
site 3
site 3
site 5
site 5

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Feb 2024 08:01 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

and site 6 which is my camphost.

Camp host is getting his own new site closer to the ranger station with power hookup, we will do that in April.
camp host site 6
camp host site 6

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.