Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / do u ever??
cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 11:41

do u ever get creeped out in your woods?
like a trip to the outhouse at 2a.m. and everyones asleep.
off u go.
or if u sit outside all alone by the campfire?
or trek thru the woods alone?

Just
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 12:34

I think most would be lying if they said NO ,KNOW I WOULD BE..
The deep dark wood holds many things good and bad..

Malamute
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 12:54 - Edited by: Malamute

I was only creeped out a couple of times. One of the first, and most memorable, I was camped on the ground, laying beside my motorcycle near the head of a canyon in Az. I was awakened in the middle of the night by sounds I'd never heard before, and had little idea what it was. The noise was coming closer to me, it was along the edge of the canyon, I was camped about 40 yards from the edge. I grabbed my 45 Colt pistol, laid it across the seat of the bike towards the sounds, turned on my flashlight, and saw the little red fox. It looked a bit surprised, but kept up the sounds and moved along. Later it came back by, and on other times I camped there.

The sounds I heard were similar to 0:33, 1:33, and most like 2:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM

Otherwise, I've camped quite a lot. A rough estimate is about 4-5 years total time sleeping out, mostly sleeping out under the stars when the weather allowed, and sometimes when it wasn't great. I've never had much concern, even when in grizzly country, which I've been in for the past 25 years.

First time I heard coyotes in numbers howling was a bit creepy. Very cool once you know what they are. The sounds when they get together are really cool.

The sounds at 1:22 to 1:44 are most like what I've heard when they bunch up and meet at first after dusk. Unfortunately, this particular recording also has elk bugling sounds in that section, the coyotes sound like they are responding to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ga0i1FSXZQ

I don't how many times coyotes singing has woken me up, it has to be hundreds of times. I listen for a few, and drift off to sleep. They've never bothered me or my dog. I always have a dog when out. And a pistol if not a rifle as well. No worries, I love the sounds of the night. Elk bugling all around you all night is also very cool. I've slept on the ground in places the sounds of their hooves were so close they woke me up.

Elk bugling,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nrVqPkhJjU

Wilbour
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 13:34

It's just a matter of how bad you need to go

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 13:41

Quoting: cabingal3
do u ever get creeped out in your woods?like a trip to the outhouse at 2a.m. and everyones asleep.off u go.or if u sit outside all alone by the campfire?or trek thru the woods alone?

You mean, when every stump looks like a bear, or every noise is a wolf, or a cougar about to sneak up on ya? No, not at all, why do you ask.

I usually pack some "heat" with me, so its not that bad. I dont know how many times I was hunting, early or late in the dark hours, walking through woods. Never felt too creeped out as I had a Winchester Model 70 classic sporter B.O.S.S. in 300 Win Mag with a Leupold 3X9.

I actually did run into a black bear one time, 300 strapped across my back. I was setting behind a small tree, saw him move and looked to my left at him, he saw my head movement and took off back down the hill so fast. Bears probably feel the same way, (petrified of us) we just dont know it. That was back in winter 96/97 in the same county as my cabin.

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 14:12

Like Malamute, I was scared by a fox. They have the weirdest bark- not like a dog at all, it's like a scream. Made me jump up out of bed. Finally the third time it happened I got a flashlight on the critter, a little red fox probably mad at me for daring to invade his/her territory. Now that my neighbor has a Great Pyrennes dog, a nocturnal guard dog against predators, they don't come around any more. Too bad, even though they scare the heck out of me when sleeping.

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 15:56

Malamute.those are beautiful links from you tube.the elk is so beautiful.
sometimes i do get spooked out when i wake up and run to the outhouse.dont want to make the mister go with me.
sometimes i think a bobcat can jump pretty far.
i take the lantern.
we have slept out on the ground.that was before bobcat and the mountain lion thing.
we were gonna sleep out this last time to stain the floors.
glad we did not cause we would of had to leave all the furniture out.
thanks.good stories.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 17:49

Last trip up I was alone with my dog. She is a German Shepherd pup and at 7 months not overly protective yet. Just as it was getting dark, her ears perked up and she moved beside me, stared at the trees behind the cabin and started growling very deeply.

I couldn't see or hear anything but she was locked in and would not snap out of it. She does not do this when she sees the chipmunks, squirrels etc so ya, I was freaked out a little. We retreated into the cabin where the shotgun was lol.

naturelover66
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 18:30

Hi Cabi... Ask GaryO to build u an attached bathroom...

gsreimers
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 21:12

Not afraid of the dark and usually have a gun when at our place and still camping as the cabin is being built. However, I won't go into the privy in the dark because I want to be able to see the wolf spiders.

My wife says the only reason we have no bears around is because they are afraid of the spiders.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 21:20

Not really, but I'm typically armed everywhere that I can be legally. Otherwise..."concealed is concealed"

Just
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 21:28 - Edited by: Just

I had hung my tree stand in a clearing a week before . The clearing was 3500 ft north of a two track in rural Ont. Ca. It is just a nice 15 min. hike along a trail between the bush and a standing corn field.
It was 6.30 am opening day of bow season . The air was misty cool and dead calm and dark rely dark .
My unloaded cross bow in my left hand and my unlit flashlight in my right .
I reached the hole in the fence leading to my the safety of my tree stand not 20 yards into the bush. @#&^%%$*($ ALL HELL LET LOOSE .!!!!!
I was surrounded by a pack of howling coyotes ,, I had no usable weapon but my light and my voice . I used both ,, the light came on and I let out a noise louder than them .
I never did see one of them and never herd them again till they met up in the corn field at least a 100 yards away . Sounded like they were laughing at me !!
The shaking hunter made it up that tree into his tree stand in record time .
He sat there till 8.30 am contemplating life at which point I realized there wasn't going to be any deer around and I might as well go home .
Before getting down I studied that clearing to make sure no one was watching me . One step down and @#&&%$%(*&# .
This time no howling just breaking sticks and raining down on my head ,and then a dozen turkeys falling out of my tree .
I guess the coyotes were waiting for the turkeys not me
I will not forget, I cannot forget

cabingal3
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 07:10

oh my gosh Just.thats crazy.
thats a scary story..
now i think of all the times i was trying to control our fire piles at 2-3 a.m.-all alone and hearing the coyotes howling like crazy.tons of them and they sound like they are right in the meadow.
now i may have second thoughts on going out in the nite unarmed.
Lisa.
we are in the process of building on an addition to the new cabin bedroom.its gonna be a bathroom..and it is also one step out the door to the outhouse.
so we wil be a two bathroom place.

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 10:10 - Edited by: Gary O

Skeeerd?
Moi?
Wah, ah never bin skeeerd in mah laf.

heh heh

Yeah, the coyotes.
First time I heard a pack chiming in with their high pitched wail drifting thru the alders of a fog filled evening, I darn near didn't make it to the outhouse.

Then, then after hearing them most evenings, I looked forward to it.
Love hearing them now, but those alders, the fog, the chilly nights, made it all r-e-a-l special.

We all get those times,

....if we pay attention.

Our little patch of pumice has it's own ambiance, and when we were down there last weekend, I had to step out in the late hours of the evening and just sit there, neck bent, mouth open, gazing at the thousands of stars.

I thought heard a noise behind me.
Gotta say, it gave me a bit of the creeps.
Once I got the kink outta my neck, I turned around.

Dang sriracha

naturelover66
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 18:04

Great story Just!
Two bathrooms Cabi? That's living!

cabingal3
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 21:12

it is.lol.thanks Lisa.

South360
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 16:28

The way I see it, there's nothing in my neck of the woods that can beat me except Bigfoot and I haven't seen him in a while.

South360
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 16:29

I do get the heebie jeebies sometimes for absolutely no reason though.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 16:56 - Edited by: skootamattaschmidty

I spend a lot of time at my cabin by myself because I get more time off then my wife. There have been many a night where I am enjoying a whiskey on the porch and it's pitch black and I hear a noise and I wonder what the heck that was. Then the old mind starts racing as to what it could be. 99% of the time I never know what it was.

rayyy
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 18:23

I'm quite comfortable out side at night.I have learned what all the strange sounds are now.Foxes,tree frogs,rabbits,screach owls,coons and kateydids are the most scareiest to me.But the worst thing is that I built my cabin a little to close under some pine trees and when those pine cones let loose at 3:00am it sounds like a gun going off bouncing down my tin roof.

06FordFX4
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 19:36

Quite a while ago when I was 10 or 11 I was up at my uncles farm, he has bears. Coyotes, etc. In the area, we were sleeping in a trailer that is setup there with a deck built around.

One night I got up to grab a snack, maybe 3 AM, and I hear a rustling sound outside, think nothing of it probably just the wind. Then I heard a snort, like when a dog sneezes lol.

Got my attention and kinda creeped me out, walk up to the window and bam. There's three coyotes just chilling on the deck lol. Freaked me out a little.

Don't often get uneasy anymore, but I'd lie if I said I didn't turn around quickly a few times to see if that twig snapping was a bear or wolf Haha. Just part of the fun! Means you truly are out of the city and experiencing rural life to the fullest of you encounter these animals.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 23:03

Just got word of Cougar sightings right in my area. Makes me wonder now what my dog was growling at. Yikes.

Flying Wrench
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 19:37

The first year that I went deer hunting, I got out to m spot very early, before the sun came up. I heard this low thump-thump-thump-thump. My mind started running wild with thought of bigfoot. Then I heard that thumping noise off in the distance. Then I heard it really close to me. Maybe they are communicating... EEK!

It turns out that I didn't know what sounds grouse make.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 00:58

I'm sure I will! I'm used to coyote and great horned owl calls, living in the country in Texas, but I'm moving into elk and deer territory. Probably some black bears, too. I've been reading up on the subject, lol!

SandyR
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 09:53

This summer before we built our cabin we camped out in tents. One night there was something breathing really heavy on the other side of the tent wall. Woke up my husband and neither one of us had the nerve to unzip the tent and stick our head out the door! As a hunter he thought it might have been a deer checking us out. It was breathing so heavy though! There may have been only a few inches between us!

Definitely had that uneasy feeling.

countrygirl
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 10:35 - Edited by: countrygirl

Sometimes I have been uneasy outside at the cabin alone. But I would tell myself oh its ok, there is nothing there.

I have cross country skied alone in the moon light, and when I went back to ski it again in the morning only to see fresh timber wolf tracks!!! I'm not doing that again.

Even this spring having morning coffee on the deck with my husband, and sister in-law two timber wolf trotted by.

neb
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 22:30

Great stories! I have had packs of coyotes whooping it up at dusk while being in the back country that would scare the crape right out of anyone. Was hunting some years back and had a mountain lion that was growling and talking back to her young one. That was a night I will never forget! From then on I always carried heat when hunting there.

bobrok
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 07:59

Quoting: SandyR
This summer before we built our cabin we camped out in tents. One night there was something breathing really heavy on the other side of the tent wall. Woke up my husband and neither one of us had the nerve to unzip the tent and stick our head out the door! As a hunter he thought it might have been a deer checking us out. It was breathing so heavy though! There may have been only a few inches between us!

Definitely had that uneasy feeling.

I had that same thing happen to me while camping once. I figured it was a smaller animal because the breathing was shallow, but it was bedded down literally on the other side of the tent cloth from my face.
It was exhilarating!!

nik870
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 16:02

One time while elk hunting I spotted a coyote just before sunset. I was of course armed and knew he was there. The creepy part was when later his 4 or 5 friends started howling and I had no idea where they were. It is not so much the animal that is creepy but their sneaky nature and the sound of a howl after dark.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.