Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Open Carry
<< . 1 . 2 .
ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 11 Dec 2014 13:50

Really good point. I was curious because I met a young guy a a flea market and we each made a comment about the prices of ammo boxes and started talking. I'm not sure how open carry came up but he was and showed me. I was very surprised as I didn't think it was legal in my state. I had never seen anyone open carry before and was really surprised. I asked him about his experiences which were all positive even though he was confronted by LE at least once...showed his paperwork and was on his way. He didn't open carry all the time and was somewhat new to doing it. I found the law on the states website so that may be a place to check as well if you're thinking about doing it. There are some common sense restrictions so knowing exactly what the laws are would be very important.

fastsled
# Posted: 14 Dec 2014 11:37

Interesting topic, having one of my expensive trail cameras stolen on Nov 8th with the thiefs picture captured by another camera, and reported to the sheriff here in Mi. I open carry around my property. If they are willing to walk around my small 10 acre plot what else are they going to take? The world is changing. I carry my little LCP where ever I go.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 14 Dec 2014 18:32

I caution you all but it more to this than just the Federal and State regulations. I assume our Canadian brethren have it even worse. The local jurisdiction can have more stringent rules but not less. There's also game laws.
Don't be surprised by wild cards that don't necessarily need to make sense or what your intention was. Your own land fairly low risk but cross on to public land and you really ought to know what is allowed. Type of gun and caliber may come into play as well as season.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 14 Dec 2014 18:47

Good point Hueyjazz... Fortunately, in VA (and in some other states) we have "preemption" for gun laws. This fancy legal speak means that gun laws are consistent across the state, and each county, city or town can't make their own laws. Some Counties, cities and towns pass illegal ordinances, but pro gun rights groups keep an eye out and force them to comply with the law. This happens all the time.

In the US, there used to be different carry laws for being in National Parks and National Forests (not sure if this is still the case)... and then also for state forests and parks.

It's still a bit of a mess.

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Dec 2014 20:42

National Parks now follow the general rules for the state the park is in. Can be interesting when a park straddles two states. No firearms allowed in any of the park buildings though. National Forests are okay for firearms if the state laws permit them, except for the ranger offices. It is a mishmash.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 15 Dec 2014 06:58

We have open carry in NC, we can open carry anywhere that concealed carry is allowed...with NO PERMIT needed.
I carry 24/7 wherever I can, and typically open carry in the warmer months simply because I cannot carry IWB comfortably.
For the most part, I go unnoticed by the general public and the LEOs.
The only comment was from a fellow carrier who asked what I was carrying.

22hemi13
# Posted: 15 Dec 2014 07:16

I don't carry but I did a quick count as I was headed to bed one night. There were 5 loaded guns within 3 steps from me. They're always there loaded and ready to go. Kids ask "dad why do you keep the guns loaded" well I said. I can't just ask a bad guy to wait a second while I load my gun.

razmichael
# Posted: 15 Dec 2014 08:51

Quoting: hueyjazz
I assume our Canadian brethren have it even worse. The local jurisdiction can have more stringent rules but not less.

Without getting into the overall argument about gun laws, here in Canada it is very clear and consistent across the country as it is federally controlled.

Bevis
# Posted: 15 Dec 2014 09:51

I carry concealed, as Florida has no open carry YET...unless you are traveling to and from fishing.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 15 Dec 2014 17:24

I'd be carrying my fishing pole everywhere! Pocket fisherman count?

creeky
# Posted: 16 Dec 2014 16:46

i am definitely a pocket fisherman.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 16 Dec 2014 20:58

Open carry when at my private land(s) and surrounding forest lands. I have a CC permit for ANF fishing called a "sportsman" permit, but never CC because I prefer the accessibility of my .40 right on my hip.

The issues with LEO spreading misinformation are rampant. Many interpret the law to their own personal beliefs. On more than one occasion I've paid a polite, cordial visit to the local sheriff's office to deliver training documents on terry stops involving open carry. In both Ohio and Pennsylvania, the laws are quite clear as well as the exceptions (schools, government buildings, bars that don't serve food, etc). While I only open carry while in the bush or on my private property, I respect the law and those that wish to exercise their rights in this regard.

moregon
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 13:16

Good topic! I intend on putting a cabin up in a very remote part of southeast Oregon so am learning all about guns at the moment.....

As a single lady I would be foolish to not educate myself and even more foolish to depend on law enforcement to help if I needed it.

IMO....

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 19:04

Moregon, I'd highly recommend taking an NRA pistol class if you have not done so already. Many instructors will let you shoot their guns as part of the class (I would, when I was an instructor). A great way to try out a variety.

You may also want to check out the NRA's "Women On Target" program too.

moregon
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 23:09

Done and done! !

neb
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 23:31

You can open carry here but I don't. When I'm in the back country I carry it in a vest or pack. I just take a gun where I think I may need one that is how I grew up. For protection from wildlife if need be.

This gun thing is becoming a hot topic and I can see things changing. When I was in school every kid had a gun in there outfit at school and it was no big deal. We all hunted and trapped so it was a way of life. That isn't the case now.

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 03:03

I open carry in states like CO and NV etc where my CHL is not recognized.

On my land and the National Forest it's OC unless it's raining, then it goes into the EDC bag.

Also I have OC'd in Walmart, Gas Stations etc just to restate the Man Card prowess every once in a while.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.