Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how much company have u had this summer?
cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 06:56

we have had more company since we moved to our woods than we had in all our 47 yrs of marriage combined.
we have 4 different couples coming to visit in august.
some hinting they want to spend the nite here.
i told gar our rules should be...
last one to poop,empties the bucket.
oatmeal served at 8;30 a.m. and dont mind if they sleep on the back porch and dont mind the generator running at 2:30 n the morning.lol.just kidding.
i want to have a black indelible ink pin in the outhouse for a sign in guest sheet but the sheet is the wall.
we are getting ready.we are fixing up an fancy area for guest to sit and eat and visit.
we find it a bit of a rush before fall/winter happens.this is our first year here.people are knocking our door down to come over.
do u find company gets in the way of your progress?

jenk2ta
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 11:22

Quoting: cabingal3
it a bit of a rush before fall/winter

Sometimes yes, unless they are willing to help with whatever needs to still be done. My sister-in-law loves to come up and help out, painting, tree trimming and whatever else. Others, just want to go fishing and I cook and clean up. Some of our time up at the cabin it is just my husband and I, and others, nephews and nieces galore.

upndown
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 14:17

I enjoy company at the cabin. But I do have a few simple rules, bring your own food and beverages. Cooking and clean up is a group effort. If you're looking for Spa treatment stay elsewhere! After all this is my cabin, not a B&B. Fortunately my kids and grandkids do this automatically, others sometimes need to be reminded..haha

Truthfully I'm my own worst enemy, and probably worlds worst procrastinator! I'm the one that blurts out, let's go fishing, or a hike or road trip etc. Those chores will be there tomorrow. f

I just really enjoy sitting by the firepit catching up with old Friends and Family!

NorthRick
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 15:35

Our guests are spaced far enough apart that they are a welcome respite from doing work around the place.

SandyR
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 21:23

Just our best friends growing up stopped once this summer. And our neighbor on his four wheeler.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 13:04 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We had eleven guests,( some more than once) visit us this summer. None of them stayed overnight since they all live in the area. They are all family or close family friends.

DH finally got to show his best childhood friend our cabin. We met him at a fish dinner in town and he and his wife followed us down our bush road to the cabin. We had a very nice visit.

I suppose when we do get people staying for a while it will be at least a week since it is a long way to travel. If they are not flying to see us I will ask them to bring some sheets and towels since I can't do laundry and have to take it home.

I also will have them stop in town for snacks they like,drinking water and some meat. Also a case of beer and a few bottles of wine if they drink. Living at our cabin is expensive,we will be retired and on a fixed income,town is seventy miles round trip and on the way. I have no problem asking guests to bring things. If they think I'm asking to much than they can stay home.

As far as company getting in the way of progress,we continue to work on our projects,if they want to help they can or not. We don't expect them to. We can visit at the same time. Everyone knows we have been in a construction zone for the past nine years( it takes a long time to get things done at the cabin) and will continue for the next few years.

bobrok
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 14:09

I would enjoy company at the cabin, but it seems that the older one gets the less inclined they are to "roughing it."

Roughing it in the sense that we have 1 bedroom, 1 futon, an outhouse and a porta-poti, no neighbors, too many bugs, it's too many hours drive for a weekend, etc. You get the picture.

I've said it here before: I feel that I'm 20-30 years too late with this place.
I go for the solitude and to putter on projects, but company once in a while is nice also.

To those youngsters among you just getting started I say go for it with gusto. You won't regret it.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 18:44

I think you're going into it with the right idea, Cabi -- ground rules!

No one visits me in Texas because it's hotter than hell with big bugs and snakes. My friends don't like that. But I've had a LOT of people say, "Oh, we WILL visit you when you move to Oregon!" They mean it. and across the country, in some cases, means a several-day vacation! So I'd better get ground rules ready -- or mean bear stories, hahahahahaha!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.