Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / wifi router
sparky30_06
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:14

OK here is my issue, my garage/ shop is a metal building. When the doors are closed I loose the wifi signal from the house. I would like to have wifi in the garage with the doors closed. Do they make a wireless router with an external and internal antenna? I could put the second router inside the garage and run the antenna outside???

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:33

There's a lot of threads on this subject on garage journal. Search there.

My wood detached benefited from a power line adapter..But if I was to do it again I would do a mesh network. More expensive but you can walk around from router to router and it connects automaticly.

Fanman
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 08:15

You can buy two routers. One is configured as a wireless client and is outside, or the antenna is outside on a cable. The other is inside and configured normally as a wireless access point (not router, since the primary router inside your house is handling the routing functions).

Or run an ethernet cable between the house and garage to feed the router in the garage.

CabinBuild
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 09:56

Lots of suggestions here that should work. How far is your garage from your home wifi router?

sparky30_06
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:26

Eventually I will dig a cat 5 line in, just being lazy right now. Its only about 65 feet from the shop to the router in the house.

jhp
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 14:34

One option would be a wifi range extender. You'd put this in the garage and it would be used to pick up, repeat and amplify the signal it catches coming from the house. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/WiFi-Range-Extender-1200Mbps-Repeater/dp/B07GT37484?ref_=ast_s to_dp

A cheap see-if-it-works option, you could buy a USB wifi card with an external antenna - just having a larger antenna inside the garage might be enough to get a good signal to your laptop or pc:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-desktop-10-9-10-14-Archer-T2U/dp/B07P5PRK7J

My best guess to fix it and be done with it woudl be to get an outdoor wifi antenna, either hook it up to a USB network card for your PC, or use it as an external antenna on a second router you have configured as a wireless client:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08242CL6Z/ref=twister_B0824232TY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you need access to just a PC or laptop, then the USB antenna is a cheap option that might work. If you want good coverage for your phone, tablet, smart TV, etc then you probably just need to get an antenna outside the building and combine that with a range extender or second router.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.