Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Wildlife camera TECHNICAL discussion
. 1 . 2 . >>
TomChum
# Posted: 30 May 2011 15:54 - Edited by: TomChum

A thread for TECHNICAL discussion of Wildlife cameras. So people can look thru the other thread for photos, and let the geeks discuss mumbo-jumbo in a different room.....

To go to a ------->wildlife camera PHOTO ALBUM thread
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/4_1114_0.html#msg12999

some discussions of using a Trail Camera for SECURITY: http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/1_75_0.html

==========

My camera is a Bushnell Trophy Cam. It works pretty well. But took some time to understand it, which I don't yet. They seem to behave different based on the outside temperature. (?) The photos are 5MP which is very nice detail.

I mounted my camera with some adjustable parts by "Ram Mount". It's screwed to the tree.

I chose this location because:

1) It had a good view down the road
2) It's up above eye level
3) there is a fork in the road just after it. I think (hope) any trespassers attention will be on "the fork in the road" ahead, thus not scanning trees for $185 cameras.

Then I decided it was still $185 and too visible, and set some branches around it for camouflage. I screwed these branches all together with drywall screws; so they don't blow in the wind & cause motion.
Camera mounting using "Ram-Mount.com" parts
Camera mounting using "Ram-Mount.com" parts
Camera, out in the open
Camera, out in the open
Obscurred some, with branches.
Obscurred some, with branches.

bugs
# Posted: 30 May 2011 16:43

We have the same camera as you do TC viewing our salt lick. So far quite pleased with the results.

I have noticed that the sensor has a wider field of view than the camera because we have many images of nothing and then 15 sec later when the next pic is taken there is a nose or head on one side.

Sure adds a new dimension to visiting the cabin.

I forgot to format the memory card last trip out and so lost a week's worth of images.

bugs
# Posted: 7 Jun 2011 16:49

We found out the Bushnell Trophy Cam is very affected by wind. Over the course of the week it took 700 images of the trees blowing. Could have made a stop animation movie of it!

Not sure how to fix this as the camera is at medium sensitivity and if it is adjusted to low I am not sure if it would capture things like coyotes and such. And the position the camera is in now is the best for capturing images.

TomChum
# Posted: 7 Jun 2011 17:23 - Edited by: TomChum

I had the same experience, was trying "low" sensitivity etc.

Someone mentioned somewhere that the viewing angle of the IR sensor is much wider than the camera's eye, so I looked UP and saw blowing branches almost vertical above the camera. So I removed those and instead of taking 100 pics a day it now takes about ~10. Still takes some with no animal in the frame. It could be a chipmunk passing by, using my camera as a step.

Anyway. I'm back to "medium" sensitivity and it seems to be working well. It also takes pics of all the cars going by and I can read the license plate very very well (daytime). But I have a locked gate so these are friends. But I'm just sayin....

And none have located my camera yet, it's hiding place seems to be working well. I'm pretty sure the best way is to locate a land feature that every person fixates on, and put the camera out of that line-of-sight. For example a ditch, a water-bar, a large puddle, or in my case approaching an intersection.

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Jun 2011 01:16

We have HCO Scoutguard cameras; models 500, 550 and 650 and have been very happy with them all.

FYI there is a great game camera website HERE

neb
# Posted: 10 Jun 2011 13:39

TomChum

That is a very good camera for the money. Not sure you can find a better one for the price. The battery life is really good also. I have 2 of them and will work in minus temps for a long time if not being to much.

TomChum
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 12:31 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: neb
That is a very good camera for the money. Not sure you can find a better one for the price.

Hi neb,

Over the year since I started with the Bushnell I have not had such good luck. I have 2 and each camera has been warrantied 3 times.. They've spend a lot of time in a box as opposed to on a tree where they belong - I pretty much lost the entire "fall" of 2011.

Currently I have one working well, but it worked well last winter too, then failed as the weather got warmer. I bought another Bushnell, the top model (black ops) and it died too. Bushnell replaced it with one that died after 4 hours, and the 3rd one they say is "new" but looks like an "open box" new. I haven't tested it yet. I'm happy that I have one camera working well (cropped Cougar pic in PHOTOS ONLY thread).

Cougar photo by Bushnell camera (cropped photo

Good things I can say about Bushnell is their user manuals are good, and their customer service is good. They do everything except the 6 hour drive to place (or re-place) the camera.

Also there can be a fairly steep learning curve to using an automatic camera. You have to consider that it could take an entire season to learn. And longer if it craps out, because it can be difficult to learn anything from a malfunctioning camera.

neb
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 14:27

TomChum

Bushnell Trophy Cam is what I have also. I know an oufiter that has used every cam make and he said for money this by far the best cam that he has found. I have to agree also with no issues at all and in all kinds of weather this guy fit the bill for me. There a lot of great cams out there but do cost a lot more money then this one. At the end of the day they both do the same thing.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 19:27

I'm currently "testing" my bushnell cam out on my back steps. I baited the steps with some cat food (we have several neighborhood strays) and hope to find some interesting shots in the morning. Can't wait to take the thing out to the cabin and see what lurks in yonder woods.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 20:44 - Edited by: Bzzzzzt

Okies, I had a cat take the bait and this is what I got:
(Click the picture, it's a video)

I just set the thing on the porch about 2 feet away from the food. Obviously I need to put it further away. This was the best video I got out of 25 that were taken. I think I'm really gonna have some fun with this little gadget.

TomChum
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 14:49 - Edited by: TomChum

Great info, perfect for this Wildlife camera TECHNICAL discussion thread.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 15:35 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

i just got another new Moultrie trail cam----i sent the other one back, it 's flash stopped working and they sent me a BRAND new one-----my old one was about a year old----got some extra sd cards and batteries for Christmas---going to set it out with some lobster scraps & shells--i saved and froze----back in Sept---wanted to see a southern critter enjoy a lobsta on my cam :-).....i will set it out soon---along with a coyote live trap i just got.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 16:56

Geez. Sorry to hijack the thread with my discussion of camera placement.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 20:38 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: Bzzzzzt
Geez. Sorry to hijack the thread with my discussion of camera placement.

watch out for the fourm POLICE.... LOL ..... :-) i hear sirens!!!!

neb
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 22:24

Bzzzzzt

How far away is your cam setup when it took the picture? It looks like it maybe 10 feet away from the object. You may want to set it away about 30 feet or better from the object you want to get on camera.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 14:40

Quoting: neb
You may want to set it away about 30 feet or better from the object you want to get on camera.

good advice

i going to check my trailcam---this evening!!!! :-)

jrbarnard
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 15:07 - Edited by: jrbarnard

I have 9 of these cameras (Bushnell Trophy Cams).. paid $129 for each of them. They are awesome and one set of batteries in each so far and I have about 100k photos.

Going to change them out this weekend though, I hate to lose the pics due to bad batteries.

Here are some examples:

Axis 1

Axis 2

Fox 1

Aoudad

There are a LOT more at Photo Gallery

Russ

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 15:35

Russ---great pic's.....those axis are nice!!!!

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 17:37

Neb, that setup I had was like 6 to 8 feet from the bait. I changed it last night and put a live trap out to see if I could catch anything. The live trap was too small for the cat and he slinked in and ate the food, tripped the trap and just backed out. The pictures of that one were about 25' away and it's a lot easier to see. Apparently I have a lot of stray cats and racoons around my house here in the city.

This weekend I'm thinking of dropping by the cabin and set up the cam since I have to go to AR anyhow. Then I wont be looking at pictures every night. LOL

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Dec 2011 20:18 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

checked my cam today==== it's set about 25 feet from a woods road on my property. This trail cam has a slow trigger speed....:- (

a fox, turkey and a few deer.......
grey fox
grey fox
young turkey
young turkey

neb
# Posted: 29 Dec 2011 20:28

Good pictures. You better get that turkey before the fox does.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 30 Dec 2011 11:59 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Nice pics...
but please use wildlife camera PHOTO ALBUM thread for just wildlife photos.

TomChum
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 15:18

Special sale, 8MP Scoutguard cameras (Jan 2012). These look like a fairly good deal. Has front display and included security box.

http://www.hcooutdoors.com/newsletter/wp/?p=44

wakeslayer
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 15:26

I have had great luck with a Moultrie Game-spy M40. I have read quite a few less than thrilled reviews, but mine has been wonderful.
Battery life is extremely long, and it just uses 6 D batteries. I get thousands of pics per year, night, day, cold, hot. Only issue I ever had was the little status display stopped working. Moultrie sent me a new one, and when I went back out and wanted to repair it, the original one was working again.

TomChum
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 20:54

Quoting: wakeslayer
I have read quite a few less than thrilled reviews

Yes you have to take most of the reviews with a grain of salt. Many reviews are frustrated with the hardware while their real problem is probably the steep learning curve to using an automatic camera. Myself included.

Weather, wind, outside temp, placement of the detection bands, there are a LOT of variables. Basically you just have to get one and get started, and pay attention.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 22:16

I never did anything with mine. Strapped it to a tree, pushed a couple buttons, and 4 years later, I have only changed the batteries twice a year and swapped out the cards. Never touched a button since. Just lucky I guess.

TomChum
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 23:38 - Edited by: TomChum

Cool. I had lots of requirements for location because I want to use ut for security also. Beeen having breakdowns, hypersensitivity where it simply fills the card with photos. Smooth sailing sometimes though....

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 10:27

I received a second cam for Christmas. I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Game-Innovations-Infrared-Scouting/dp/B004W40G1S/ref=sr_1_ 7?ie=UTF8&qid=1322533735&sr=8-7&fb_source=message

It was quite a bit more complex than the Bushnell 2mpxl model I received a week earlier. I set the Wild Game one up pointing towards my cabin in an inconspicuous location. The Bushnell I put in a very visible location because if one of them were to get ripped off I'd prefer it to be the Bushnell. Hopefully neither of them are in a lot of danger. It is my intention to go down there next weekend and retrieve what will be the first pics from the cams.

I set them both up to take videos. The Bushnell takes 15 second videos and that length cannot be altered. The Wild Game takes 30 second videos and also cannot be altered. To save disk space I set the Wild Game one for Medium clarity (4mpxl) and still the videos were 38 megs each. After I watch the goings on there a few times I'll switch them to still pictures and hopefully I'll get some really cool shots. Maybe the aliens will use my cabin for their laboratory when they do their experimentations on the cattle and I'll get it all on camera! Or maybe just see some deer wondering what that red light is.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 22:10

Of all the dumb things. I set up my Wild Game camera facing my cabin and....... Turned it OFF! LOL. Got zero pics in the last 2 weeks. At least I know now to make sure before I leave tomorrow. It had a light that came on when I walked by it so I assumed it was on, but nope. Th other camera only got a pic of a dog walking thru the woods behind the cabin. Such is life.

bugs
# Posted: 7 Feb 2012 07:43

We have 4 Bushnell trail cams running and we noticed this winter (the first we have used them) that they seem to be very sensitive to the contrast of shadows on the snow, snowflakes, blowing weeds/grass against the snow and maybe even the sun/moon reflecting off the snow. So lots of false positives. We can get 8k images (in a month in one case) with only maybe 100 images with animals in them. Was wondering if other people had noticed that.

And yes Bzzzzt I too have done that. Lost 3 months of images from one of the cameras because I forgot to turn the bleepin thing on.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.