Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Why are you here?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
tsvoyager
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 22:48

Lets see, campfires, wildlife, solitude, cooking over a campfire, sitting around the campfire after a good meal with a good stiff drink and a good smoke

southern La Brown
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 16:45

i'm wanting to build a 14' x 18' with a 8' x 18' porch across the front. I stumbled upon this site some how and have been soaking up ideals like a sponge. Great wealth of info on here.

rmak
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 10:23

My renewed interest in my cabin is kind of a long story, but I'll try to be brief.
I wanted my son (who is now 30) to learn how to use hand tools when he was around 12 years old. I designed and we built together a 16 X 12 cabin in our woods those many years ago. It was "rustic" and built using post and beam construction.

About 5 years after completing it there began a series of vandalisms and unauthorized use of the cabin at that location. I paid a barn moving company to pull it out of the woods to a hill overlooking our woods and pasture. It was a more secured location. For years it sat unused.

After a recent vacation to the Outer Banks, my wife and I had our usual conversation about buying a vacation home get away. We have two sons still at home who have disabilities so leaving for any extended time to have a vacation with just the two of us will be out of the question for a long time.

It was then that we had the brainstorm of refurbishing and improving the cabin, having a large pond dug in the pasture next to it and use the cabin as a weekend getaway. It would be close enough to monitor and assist our boys if we need to, but be far enough away to give us some time and a place to enjoy some alone time.

That's our story. Sorry for rattling on. I am looking forward to posting our upgrading projects and getting ideas and feedback from other members.

Pariah
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 10:45

I just signed up here after spending hours reading last night... I've been looking into various types of self building and types of housing for a couple of years. I'm interested in sustainability and home/a bit of land ownership without being in debt for the rest of my life (I already have enough student debt to keep me occupied, I don't want to add to it...). I'm a single mom in my late 20s with a 6 year old son. I'd like to be able to save money for us to travel and generally live a somewhat financially comfortable existence.

My ideal home situation is something small but comfortable, off-grid (this is going to be the biggest challenge for me, it seems, as I require some "modern conveniences" for my line of work) not too far from where my son and I are living (wasting money on rent in a crappy apartment) right now (I love where we live and it is the perfect close-enough-to-the-city location for me...I can't go totally rural!). We want to garden and probably have chickens. I've considered making a second building to serve as a studio (I'm an artist, primarily photography and design).

I've considered Tumbleweed Tiny houses more than anything else but I'm open to other building methods. I'm not interested in prefab homes. I'm here to learn.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 11:13 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Pariah, that's a good plan. My oldest daughter (29) lives in a little farm house with four kids. Outside she has chickens, ducks, turkeys, sheep, horses and a cow and calf. I think it great that those kids see where food comes from.

Rmak, it sounds like your making you own place to relax and not just renting a vacation.

Owen

Pariah
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 13:04

OwenChristensen, thanks! I agree with kids seeing where everything comes from, plus we just love animals. Your daughter's living situation sounds very nice!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 14:11

Well she's dirt poor and renting, but it will be alright. I'm lucky to be close.

Owen

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 18:44

All of the above are so true. Both sides of my family had and lost cottage properties. My son in laws family gave up cottage life before he or the other "kids" could drive. We made a point of buying something that is for and will always be "for" the family. We are OK, baby steps on the building end but it is where we all just get together and have fun.I'm sitting down at the public dock, about 1000 ft from our lot line this May 24 listening to the 14 kids( early 20's and friends) hoot and holler and bother no one and went ,yeap, right call! I've followed some of OC's posts and it is so true. Tough decisions but we will keep this. Enough said, it's family!

Oowasa
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 20:38

Wow, great question. In my job I have a split caseload with 50% being severely and persistanty mentally ill and the other 50% struggle with horrible addiction issues. I come home mentally tanked and my family time is so precious to me. I found myself getting involved with hobbies that pulled me away from family time rather than bringing me closer to them. Being out, away from mental stress and strain with the people I love...priceless.

Second, I love being outdoors and want to give my kids tons of memories and an area, that when I am gone they can say "Remember when Dad did ________" or "This place always reminds me of Dad and Mom" and then they do the same with their children. I want to leave more than a memory of a father that did nothing but work and slave to an end that had no value.

Third, I have no experience in building. I love to do it and look forward to the challenge, but I need to learn from you all, so selfishly that is one reason I am here

Did I mention I love being outdoors?!? LOVE IT!

Hope that all makes sense, it does in my head, but not sure if reading it comes across like it should. Just so glad I found you all.

Jimmy
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 01:25

I come to this website because I like to think that, even with our limited resources on this planet, every adult human being could probably have a very small structure -- a cabin -- to call home. That's encouraging.

Jimmy

yankeesouth
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 11:35

I'm here because there is a lot of knowledge to be gained! Why re-invent the wheel!!! I like to learn and hear/see what others have done.

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 31 Jul 2013 22:32 - Edited by: stickbowcrafter

Looking for ideas, how-tos and getting questions answered. I grew up in the suburbs but Dad is a huge outdoorsman, camper, fisherman and hunter. I've tagged along since I can remember. Hunting emerged as my favorite and it has become a passion.

I've been fortunate to hunt in sixteen different states and Canada and I always wanted my own place. I live in Pennsylvania, minutes from the Ohio border, and I began hunting in Ohio a decade ago. Their hunting seasons are much longer, especially archery season, you can hunt on Sundays and the deer grow much bigger. I was finally able to afford 25 acres back in 2007, which I enjoyed, but I doubled my money selling it in 2011 and I just recently purchased 40 acres.

I enjoy farming and hunting my land and I'm planning to put up a couple of small buildings over the years starting with a 16 x 24 gambrel style two story barn. That will give me a place to store equipment and sleep until I save some more money and build a small farm house. For now, stays will be weekends and a few full weeks a year.

I'd like to be off grid as much as possible. Propane and solar should cover everything I want to run. Nothing fancy, lights, fridge, stove, toilet and hot shower. A TV and DVD player would be nice but not a necessity. Can't wait to get started.

-Brian

victorvector
# Posted: 27 Aug 2013 15:34

Hello

OK , I`m the " newbee" here , and this seems like an appropriate topic / good place to say hello.....

We are building a " floating cabin " , ( alias houseboat ) in Australia.

It will be 40 ft long and 12 ft wide .

I have included a picture of our " neighborhood".
murray_river.jpg
murray_river.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 20:54

Beautiful, Victor - Do you own the part of the river you float around on, or the land nearby?

victorvector
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 01:23 - Edited by: victorvector

Hello Borrego , and everyone.

To your questions , We have only started to build this floating cabin , so yes , I wish I was already floating !It`s a big job!

We are currently building the two 40 ft floats out of marine plywood .They are covered with fiberglass cloth set in epoxy resin. On top of these I will lay a floor and the " cabin " will sit on top.

The floats are built in sections for easier handling.They are then bolted and epoxy bonded together.

Below is the back ( stern ) section framing , and the front section being constructed:
Stern module 8 ft long
Stern module 8 ft long
Framing ready to put on bottom.
Framing ready to put on bottom.
early  framing of bow section
early framing of bow section
early  framing of bow section 2
early framing of bow section 2

victorvector
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 01:52

Hello again ....I`m still getting to know the format of of this forum , so I have accidentally posted before I was finished LOL , so apologies for that .

Borrego ,

I don`t own river front to this river ( Murray ) , I am building about three miles away. The plan is to move aboard and cruise along at a sedate leisurely pace. The river is navigable for over 1700 miles , and pump out stations for black ( sewage ) and gray ( shower and dish washing etc ) water is free in my state.

A couple more pictures of the completed front sections are below , and the river. I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

Thank you for your reply.
Front section
Front section
Filler
Filler
fiberglassed and painted
fiberglassed and painted
fiberglassed and painted 2
fiberglassed and painted 2

victorvector
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 02:00

River

Sunset

victorvector
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 10:15

Quoting: Jimmy
I come to this website because I like to think that, even with our limited resources on this planet, every adult human being could probably have a very small structure -- a cabin -- to call home. That's encouraging.

I find these words quite inspirational , and as Jimmy says , it is encouraging.

Here in Australia , on average , we have some of the largest homes in the world , and priced accordingly.

In some suburbs people do little more than eat , sleep and work , ( to pay that huge mortgage for that huge house ) and little else. It may be time to rethink the way most of us live.

Less can often be more , and small is beautiful.

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 11:49

Right on, Bro! And what a beautiful place you've got there. The opposite of my 'barren' desert habitat, but I expect you've seen some deserts over in your part of the world, eh?

MJW
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 12:10

Quoting: victorvector
Less can often be more , and small is beautiful.

Exactly. Well said.

northparknewbie
# Posted: 3 Sep 2013 11:44

I am just starting on our dream and the information and things I have learned from the good folks on this forum have allowed me to start the building process with a lot more confidence than I had a few months ago. Thank you all so much in advance for all of your help and advice!!
We are building a 12x32 1 bdrm 1 bath cabin in central Colorado. Right now in the process of getting the drawings done and stamped so I can get building permits. I think I am ok with the carpentry and the plumbing but the solar and the house wiring have me a little scared. I am so glad to have found this site to be able to ask for advice.

victorvector
# Posted: 3 Sep 2013 13:44

Hello Northpark.....

We are looking forward to seeing your project come together.

Many times it`s actually making the start that can be the most difficult.

We are a little like you , when it comes to the solar power / extra low voltage we have much to learn.It can seem a little intimidating , but there are helpful people here it seems , and the internet is a great resource for learning new skills , if you are prepared to dig a little.

Good luck with your project !

northparknewbie
# Posted: 4 Sep 2013 08:25

thank you for the encouragement I think you are right about the hardest part being getting started. Have you gotten started I would love to see pictures or follow your progress.

okbackwoods
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 23:43

why am I here, I have a small cabin in SW Oklahoma, bought from wifes step dad. It is a combination of hunting and I guess as much as I hate the term prepping place of solitude. I go there and watch the sun come up over the mountains, the stars shine so much brighter at night and my stress of life goes away. I work at a prison so I see so much of the worst of mankind and this is therepy for me.

NitePagan
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 12:03 - Edited by: NitePagan

Why am I here? I have been looking for you for a long time.

I am currently living in the highlands of Maine, near Bangor, on 2 acres, rural property, I live in a trailer with my disabled daughter. I have been looking for ways to build a real home on this land. A cabin will fit just right. Something with 2 bedrooms and enough room to move around. I am not a hunter, have not fished for years, but am interested in eating real food, not chemicals, someday being off grid, that is a long ways off.

I have been building kitchen cabinets out of shiplap. Have just upgraded my workshop with more professional tools, next spring my debt will be at a minimum, so will be able to start building a cabin.

The cabinets I built are over on the right.

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 19:40

Welcome !! Your cabinets are beautiful !

northparknewbie
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 19:56

wow those are great looking cabinets wish I had that kind of talent. Looking forward to hearing about your build, if the cabinets are any indication your going to have a great cabin!

NitePagan
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 21:05 - Edited by: NitePagan

I have been looking at the cabins, the cabins seem small for what I want, so not sure what I will be doing. I really need close to 1000 sq. ft. My trailer is 80's vintage, so would like to replace it with a real building. I want mostly one level, because of my age, but that shouldn't be a problem for me. Building my own cabin intrigues me, because money is a scarce commodity for me. I am just not sure what I will be doing. Guy and gals, I am just ranting here, but sometimes it helps to figure stuff out.

Oh, by the way, I am finishing up a greenhouse, clear vinyl on the sides and clear panels on the roof. The end walls are not completed yet.

My Greenhouse - Work in Progress

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 12 Sep 2013 10:49

Please use other threads for projects.

Canuck Mom
# Posted: 15 Sep 2013 16:31

I am here because I am a busy Mom with 3 teenage boys. It' a place to play shinny hockey and toboggan in the winter, a place to have a game of crib on a Saturday night and reconnect with my family. A place to play the pipes and guitar outside and no one will be affected!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.