Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Why are you here?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 .
offgrididaho
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 21:23

Am new owner of a cabin on an island in Washington. It has an island wide water supply (reverse osmosis of sea water, pretty cool!) and septic, but no municipal power, so I will be needing to add a good solar setup so came here looking for ideas on that and found a lot more.

I have spent time on various interwebnet forums (sailor and camper-vanner) and have had some mixed experiences, some are good and very helpful communities, some are typical nasty troll junk.

From my experiences here so far, this is the former, a good community who's really interested in helping each other out, so looking forward to trying to contribute where I can (have some solar experience with the van and sailboat) and digging for some other users' hardfought wisdom as necessary.

-- Bass

Janemarie
# Posted: 18 Nov 2018 22:36

I am new here because I am about to close on 38 acres with a fairly nice cabin and I want to learn how to take care of it. It is small (16 x 28) and was custom built by the guy I am buying it from. It has septic, a well with nice water, electricity but otherwise is very basic. I plan to make it a place where my family can go to relax and get outdoors. As soon as I have some pictures, I will post them. I grew up in the outdoors (NW Montana) and so the rural lifestyle suits me best. I have lots of questions.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 2 Dec 2018 11:35

First off, I enjoy the sense of comrodery. Probably the best way to describe it is just a continuing drive to learn. The desire to be in the outdoors was a large part of why I moved to Alaska as a young man of 21. My first job was as a forest fire fighter.
As the years passed I new I would need to make being in this world I love so much. My beautiful wife and I have built a 16’x24’ log cabin, miles from any road. Access in summer (unfrozen months)is via chartered bush plane on floats then a 2 mile trip to the cabin by walking, 4 wheeler or soon to be swamp buggy. Winter time we trailer snow gos an hour then ride in . Always with a load of supplies.
By visiting this forum I get to travel to many more places. To learn how to solve the unique problems that come from all of you encounter. All with the unique caricaturists of each of the members. The pictures are worth a thousand words as I look to see how you did it.
We ended up being very blessed in being able to have this cabin, and every part of the experience it took to get here. Our biggest goal is to have a place for family . And friends. As an outdoorsman being in the woods brings all of my senses to the forefront. Sight, sound, smell, touch especially when I am still hunting. Or just walking through the woods looking for moose antler drops. Especially when I’m with my beautiful wife or family and close friends. Being able to share those times with the extended forum folks.
It is also nice to be able to help others. Either directly or through showing how things are constructed by sharing pictures.
Probably mostly because I enjoy cabin mode . Helps me in many ways. When I kick back and have the time to read this forum helps get me to be in cabin mode.
Hope to read from you soon.
Merry Christmas to you all !
Easter 2018
Easter 2018
Fall of 18
Fall of 18
Evening at the cabin
Evening at the cabin
Getting to the cabin
Getting to the cabin

frazman
# Posted: 14 Dec 2018 07:59

Looking forward to ideas and info on the construction of a little cabin for my wife on our land away from it all...

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.