Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / hauling water , holding tank, up to code?
Ezra
# Posted: 25 Oct 2009 02:33

Guys,

Digging a well is about $10,000 and the pump is about $4000. I dont have that in cash right now but.....

Can I haul water to my property and store it in a water holding tank and have this pass building inspection to get an occupancy permit?

I will get the well dug some day?

Thank You

lawnjocky
# Posted: 27 Oct 2009 08:31

I have a 210 gal tank that fits in the back of my pickup. It is made for hauling water. The nearest town has a fire hydrant in front of the town hall. They have you set up an account and prepay $75.00. Every time I go to town during business hours I stop by the town hall and have them fill it up. They charge 3/4 of a cent per gallon. When you use up your deposit you refresh it with another $75.00. In my area lots of people live like this as wells are often 500-600 ft and expensive.

I don't know what the rules are in your area regarding occupancy permits but it has been my experience that owner builders often live in their homes prior to the final inspection and since occupancy permits are not issued before the final there must be a way to do it. The last home I renovated in California I lived in for two years prior to getting the final and occupancy permit.

Jocko

Vince P
# Posted: 30 Oct 2009 09:20

You can always catch rainwater like I do.
-The 500 gal fiberglass tank was free, a cast off from where my brother works, which I painted to blend in.
-Added a home made wooden cover with hinges for access.
-1.5" pvc pipe to the 50 gal barrel which collects water from the rain gutters and acts as a roof washer to collect sediment from the roof.
IMGP5562.JPG
IMGP5562.JPG

Ezra
# Posted: 30 Oct 2009 11:04

i called fresno county building dept. they told me that it is not an option - hauling water in myself. neither is a compost toilet, as an alternative to a 10,000 dollar septic. all these project you guys have here seem like a lot of fun but i think they are all done on the down-low...............

Vince P
# Posted: 30 Oct 2009 14:29 - Edited by: Vince P

I wouldn't say they are all done on the down-low. A rainwater cistern and outhouse are still seen in rural areas. Some places more than others.
I've never heard of a composting toilet not being allowed though...I assume Fresno county is not so rural?

Anonymous
# Posted: 30 Oct 2009 16:05

You can't haul in water? What kind of city code is that? Too strange.

davidwagner
# Posted: 12 Nov 2009 20:49

Help...
I have all the water I want 140 feet down the embankment from my off the grid cabin. I haul in water in 5 gal containers. Already have storage, 12v pump, pressure tank, lp heater. I use less than 300 gals/season. Does anyone know a small gas powered pump that can push that height. I wouldn't buy anything with less that 150-160 total head. Solar is expensive and requires more watts that I have. Other ideas?
Dave

lawnjocky
# Posted: 26 Nov 2009 20:04

California is all F***ed up. It isn't that we are sneaking anything, we just live in states where common sense is still common. Now we all know about how smart the gov is in California, they are so busy telling the people how to live that they can't balance their own budget. I can say these thing as I am California native and I sold out at the top of the last real estate bubble and I haven't looked back.

Jocko

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 5 Jan 2010 18:44

We have a spring on our property. One cabin will be at -30ft, another at +20ft and one at +140ft elev. from the spring. We plan to use something like this to fill ~100gal tanks in each cabin and then use an RV pump to pressurize the cabin.

Solar Pump

Elevation/GPM Chart

It will run off the batteries/panels at the +20 cabin.

flatwater
# Posted: 5 Jan 2010 19:57

Another idea is a hand pump. I just purchased one that is a high volume rotory pump that will empty a 55 gal drum in two minutes. I shy away from anything that is presurized because of potential problems. I like gravity feed. The pressure you will have at the cabin that's -30 will have enough pressure without a pump. You add a little distance to that -30 and it will get even better. Good luck on your project and keep us posted

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.