Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Metal counter top experiment/results..
Asher
# Posted: 15 Jan 2017 21:45

I spent the day experimenting with a metal counter top. I got a piece of duct sheet metal from the hardware store and bent it to fit over a old counter top. Then acid washed it, and followed up with another acid wash (with some acid that had a piece of copper soaking in it for a couple days)...

The first wash took off some galvanize and made black stains, the second wash (with the copper solution) made the thing really "pop"...

This top was an experiment but I really liked the way it turned out.. The wife loved it so we will be planning on doing the bathroom and kitchen counters with this process..

The pictures really don't do justice to the colors, the copper is really much stronger then is showing up...
c1.jpg
c1.jpg
c2.jpg
c2.jpg
c3.jpg
c3.jpg
c5.jpg
c5.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Jan 2017 22:12

Does look nice. Will the nice appearance hold up over time? If some of the galvanizing is gone, will it rust? Just thinking off the top of my head. I really like the look, though.

Asher
# Posted: 15 Jan 2017 22:35

Honestly, I haven't got a clue, I was originally planning on doing copper and clear coating it (that's what they say to do), but I wanted to try this first since it was a lot cheaper... Either way I go, I will still clear coat it.. If it doesn't hold up long term I'll just replace it since there isn't a lot of money involved and I don't have a lot of counter space..

I just thought it would look nice with gray weathered oak trim work, brushed nickel fixtures, stainless bowl.. It will have to be one of those "time will tell" things...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.