Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / cabin foundation, loft height, and outhouse questions
BarrysBay
# Posted: 12 Oct 2008 15:38

Hi All,

Just wanted to share with you that we are getting a 12x8 bunkie built by a known Ontario shed company soon. We set our foundation using six patio stones set on 4-6" deep gravel, and two concrete blocks high stacked on each patio stone. It took us a while to do as we are pretty slow at anything to do with construction. I hope that this will survive the winter frost and that the building won't shift.

Also we asked for an 8' cabin height so that we could make room for a loft at the top (regular "a" frame roof). I'm wondering if I should have been more clear to make the roof pitch taller and not just the height of the cabin itself. Does anyone know what a good height or roof pitch for such a small cabin with a loft would be?

Also, we have to build an outhouse as we've been using the woods for too long. Does anyone have any pics or plans that they would like to share? The simpler the style, the better for us. Please and thank you to all.

Barrys Bay
# Posted: 12 Oct 2008 15:45

Quoting: BarrysBay
We set our foundation using six patio stones set on 4-6" deep gravel, and two concrete blocks high stacked on each patio stone.
Foundation
Foundation

Woodman
# Posted: 6 Nov 2008 11:17

Hello,
Our cabin is a 12'X16' w/ a loft. We have 8 ' walls, and the distance from the top of the wall plate to the peak of the ceiling is 5'. We have plenty of head room. We could get by w/ 4', but the extra 12" makes it quite roomy..
good luck

er8791
# Posted: 1 Mar 2009 17:32

Barry's
How is the size of the 12 by 8 bunkie? Is it purely a bunk room with 2 bunks (4 beds?). I am looking at something similar in size.

dvgchef
# Posted: 14 May 2009 06:56

for outhouse design - look up moldering privy on the web. AMC has a very detailed PDF about it. Best part - no digging!

Danno_MN
# Posted: 14 Sep 2009 21:49

Barry
If your loft is just sleeping, you really don't need more than 4 or 5 feet.
I hope it is not too late... looking at your picture, you have your foundation blocks laid wrong. A cinder block has VERY little strength when laid on its side. You may also want to fill them with concrete.

Good Luck

bugs
# Posted: 15 Sep 2009 09:20

I too would suggest a simple composting toilet design. They are less work than digging a pit, they can be moved easily and the house part of it can be made smaller if desired.

As I described on my shed page we are using a simple 5 gal pail with biodegradeable bag and wheat based kitty litter (Sawdust is very difficult to find in our area.). So far it seems to be working quite well. It is after this design.

http://www.saskwastereduction.ca/resources/Composting/comp-toilet.html

I think the method of composting the waste also depends on the climate you are in. I suspect something that works in the desert may not function as well in the rain forests of the west coast or in the cold winter of Canada. And then there is the various issues of animals getting into the composting bins.

Hope you enjoy your "cabin". We had an 8x12 built with 8 ft ceilings but opted not to put in a loft. The extra inside height makes the interior look quite large. The mini bunk beds we built work quite well in the small space.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 14 Dec 2009 17:55

I have found some good information about composting toilets on this page. Search for 'showing composting chamber' to see a great composting outhouse.

http://www.omick.net/composting_toilets/composting_toilets.htm

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 22:00

Well, if it's not too late, talk around your foundation situation.
Something solid (such as Danno suggests) will do the job, and much less weeping and gnashing of teeth afterward. Not sure what those boards are for, but surely not for sill plates, right?

Plans for a privy? Serious?
Check out the pic of the one I just built this weekend.
Notice the 5 gal pail, of which I will have a hatch door for removal, and just enough room on the top for a bit of plywood to cover the pail when not in use)

Happy Trails

Gary O'
privy
privy

socceronly
# Posted: 13 Aug 2018 13:46

Quoting: Barrys Bay
Quoting: BarrysBay
We set our foundation using six patio stones set on 4-6" deep gravel, and two concrete blocks high stacked on each patio stone.

Foundation

I know this is an old post, but I think it's worth commenting/asking if anyone comes across it.

Shouldn't those blocks be stacked the other way in the foundation picture above?

I thought if they were stacked with the holes to the side, they will break.

ICC
# Posted: 13 Aug 2018 14:16

yes

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.