Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Knotty Pine
TODDE
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 11:59

I have been working on finishing the whole inside of my cabin in knotty pine. I am worried i might run short on time to poly everything as fall has come rushing in. I have never worked with pine and am wondering if it has to be sealed this fall or could be a spring project? I have heard the wood will darken faster, i have heard years ago they never sealed it in the first place! I hate to damage a 1000 dollar investment? Thoughts,Thanks in advance
cabin
cabin

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 12:13

Welcome TOODE!

Just a guess here, but I would not think it would matter if it waited until spring. We have used pine logs for post that have not darkened in that short amount of time and we are over in NW Wi. so same climate.

You will have to post more pictures of your cabin. The ceiling looks great! I love the knotty pine. Did you use plain boards or is it T&G? Did you bevel your own ends?

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 13:09

I assume they are not exposed to the elimates. Also being on the ceiling they are not subject to sun (UV), which is what darkens wood.

Made the mistake of leaving cherry cabinets near a window once. In one afternoon you could see a line where the sun was and where it wasn't. Cherry darkens quick...pine sorta yellows over time. But they do this even if sealed.

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 13:25

Quoting: TheCabinCalls
But they do this even if sealed.

Depends. We've used Minwax Polycrylic clear finish over unstained pine, and several other unstained, natural woods. The Polyscrylic dries crystal clear, no yellowing with aging. Many finishes yellow, but that's the finish not the wood; oil based always yellow, they come out of the can yellow. In our experience, once finished with 2 to 3 coats of the Polycrylic, the wood does not darken or yellow even if exposed to sunlight through a window. Of course the UV is probably being blocked by the low-e glass, but we see no differences anywhere in the rooms.

Some exotic woods like Padauk have a brilliant natural color when freshly sanded. They darken down when left exposed. The polycrylic stops most of the color change when applied to freshly sanded surfaces. I'm not sure that's because it's the air that darkens those woods or the sunlight. Anyhow the polycrylic seals out whatever is the cause.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 13:33

We never did seal the T&G blue pine in our cabins. It is still the same color after 5+ years. I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

TODDE
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 14:16

Wow, quick respones around here! The polycrylics is what locally was suggested to my because of the non yellowing and low odor. Its going to be a lot of work, i will post some other pics. Its the entire cabin, as i say to my wife, its the sea of pine! Thats how she wanted it though. And the material was tongue and groove and yes i did cut every one of those god forsaken bevels! Again alot of work!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 14:20

Mine is all walls, and ceiling as well. I always meant to get it sealed. Glad I didn't bother at this point...

TODDE
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 14:29

trying again to add a pic of the inside.
cabin
cabin

Dillio187
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 14:37

sweet, I like it!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 15:56

Very cool place!!

Our pine ceiling and cedar trim has been left natural. It has been a year and no signs of change. I have scrap pieces of sealed and unsealed I compare to.

rayyy
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 18:11

Yahhh,If it's keep dry and out of the elements,it will be fine.My whole cabin is notty pine.I'll get to it too.someday!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Sep 2012 07:29 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I don't have any finish on mine. It has darked a little but looks good.

Owen
pine work
pine work
pine work
pine work

GomerPile
# Posted: 20 Sep 2012 09:25

I did poly for my bathroom due to the moisture caused by the shower. The rest of the place I just did a light colored minwax stain. Glad I didn't use poly on the whole place.

My suggestion is to leave it natural or a clear/light colored stain.

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Sep 2012 10:01

Quoting: TODDE
And the material was tongue and groove and yes i did cut every one of those god forsaken bevels!

A lot of work but looks great. We did the same on our pine ceiling at home...that ceiling almost was the end of us but I sure do like it! We sprayed on the poly...just a thought for you...but wear a respirator for sure!

jjlrrw
# Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:18

Nice cabin, We used the minwax clear mentioned above, we went with T&G half way up on the walls and the ceiling. For the ceiling I sealed and sanded the boards at home in the garage using saw horses less mess and easier. We went with the cheapest boards took a while to sort at Menard's but we liked the ones with more knots in them.

I would be concerned with the walls getting dirty/oily from touching or pets if not sealed.

Montanan
# Posted: 12 Oct 2012 16:39

We haven't sealed ours yet (2 walls worth.) I stained the trim but plan to just do a clear poly on ours at some point.

BigDuke6
# Posted: 14 Dec 2012 15:45

Anyone have any pics to post of their interior? I want to do the same to mine, but have not started it yet. Prob in the spring.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Dec 2012 15:49

TODDE-your cabin is beautiful.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 21 Aug 2016 11:23

A couple good links for information on knotty pine board walls, etc.

Lots of sample photos, history, etc

https://knottyisnice.com

https://www.flickr.com/groups/792895@N20/

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Aug 2016 10:34

I think darkened wood give it the patina to make it look rustic. But if you like the new look, you wont notice any difference between now and next spring. So don't sweat it if you don't get to seal it this year.

Wilbour
# Posted: 22 Aug 2016 22:11

Nothing like a post about Naughty Pine to be revived almost 4 years later.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 23 Aug 2016 12:10 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: Wilbour
Nothing like a post about Naughty Pine to be revived almost 4 years later.

That's always an interesting response. Some people hate old threads being added onto like a dictionary having new words added to it or an encyclopedia getting newer information. ...but, in my view this is a forum, not a news site. So, what's the socially appropriate time allowed between last post and new post? Maybe 1 week? 1 month? But not 2 months. I just don't know what's politically or socially correct.

I just read through a thread on another site dating back to 2004. It was about putting wallpaper over plywood. Because it's old, should it be deleted? Moreover, if someone else had a question about putting wallpaper over plywood, should a new thread be started to get all new responses, or should the old thread be revived?

Anyway, in response to the criticism I've started a new thread for that information. I'll cross reference this thread for people that wish to read older posts on knotty pine.

Wilbour
# Posted: 24 Aug 2016 18:40

Criticism?

Was intended as humour.

Notice I spelled 'Knotty" incorrectly.

No need to delete old posts. Some valuable stuff there, and here as well.

I promise to put more smilies in my posts.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 28 Aug 2016 15:34

agggh, I've turned into my too serious father.

Sorry, I guess it was a slow mental day for me.

Wilbour
# Posted: 28 Aug 2016 16:36

No Worries

I sometimes forget that internet forums and phone texting have this common flaw

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.