Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Exterior clear coat on french doors
TomChum
# Posted: 20 Dec 2012 21:38 - Edited by: TomChum

Does anyone have experience what lasts the longest outside? A good friend told me to use Daly's Seafin teak oil, because that's what they use on sailboats. He said it won't peel. He recommends 6 coats and 24-48 hours between coats. But does Teak oil actually "seal" moisture out?

The problem I have is: the doors, UNcoated, swelled to the point where they wouldn't open. They were exactly 28" when I bought them. Measurement after swelling showed they were 28 plus 1/8". I brought them home, and kept a fan on them for a month and now they are back down to 28".

I need to seal them up so they don't take on moisture outside in the rainy season. They are under an eave, but the water comes off the roof and onto the deck, splashes on the doors. I don't want to use a gutter.

So... does anyone have recommendations for an exterior clear finish?

Shower house doors

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Dec 2012 22:17

Check out Sikkens Cetol line; it's a system with a basecoat and a top coat.

Epifanes Clear High Gloss or Pettit 2067— if you like high gloss and one part finishes

Interlux Perfection two-part varnish, may be the best there is @ $80 a quart

The lower the gloss the less the durability.

The clearer the finish the less the durability.

I like heavily pigmented paint. Here in the desert I can get a dozen+ years out of paint. Clear coats maybe go two years if you spend the bigger dollars.

TomChum
# Posted: 20 Dec 2012 22:31 - Edited by: TomChum

Wow, I dont want to do anything every 2 years (maybe just re-coat). I thought that was a benefit of an oil; not to put a hard finish on. Yes it makes sense that if the light is blocked then it can't degrade the finish. But wood color looks nice, i think is worth some level of effort to get it while I can. I guess I could paint later.

I have heard of Sikkens. They have some of it at HomeDepot, will take a look tonite.

Seems like marine finished would be about the toughest. Does anyone have experience with marine finished, and how long they last?
Dalys ShipnShore
Dalys ShipnShore

Anonymous
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 14:04

I settled on a product called "inwood, which is like a stain but it's a sealer. It's oil-based, ONE coat application. You put it on, and wherever it accepts more, you keep adding until it will take no more. They say it's same stuff as Sikkens but cost less.

When water no longer beads off (after 2-5 years), that means it is ready to accept more "In-Wood" so you re-apply, and wipe off the areas that it does not soak in. But it does NOT flake off, ever.

EvoQ
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 17:06 - Edited by: EvoQ

Have you looked at this productSuperDeck Log Home FInish Here, this product has been around for Decades and has stood the test of time. I have a few friends that swear by this stuff. It's a 1 coat easy to apply finish and is especially formulated for high altitude Cabins. Take a look it might serve your purpose or give you an alternative, just a thought. And here Preperation / Restoration of Wood might be a good idea to go and check this site out before you choose any finish as this article explains in detail about restoring and Preperation of Wood and Logs before any finishing.....Happy Holidays !

Just
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 22:18

I WOULD NOT DO THE SPAR THING .I tryed that when we built our ceder home years ago. the plan called for double door front entrance. wanting to preserve the new ceder doors i dressed them all up in the best spar i could buy .in two years i had to strip them and do them again . not wanting a 3 day job every other year,, they are now tope , solid stain..
000_0017.jpg
000_0017.jpg

rayyy
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 05:37

Superdeck log cabin finish. EvoQ is right,this stuff is great.I used this stuff on my exterior wood and it's held up beautifuly.It's linseed oil based.Comes in different shades.I used the lightest shade they make because pine still darkens with age.It does smell for quite awhile but it lockes in that beautiful natural pine color.

Martian
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 08:33

You asked about marine finishes. Well, I worked on yachts for 25 years, and during all that time, I never found any bright finish that holds up to sun and salt for more than a couple of years, at best. If you put a two-part finish on, it last as long as any, but is much harder to refinish. Oils don't last as long, but are easy to redo. Those are the two extremes; everything in between varies in longevity/easy of redo.

From a cost/benefit POV, a good polyurethane will hold up well if lightly sanded and reapplied every year. About every 5 years, you'll probably want to do a more extensive sanding and apply 3 coats.

If you ever let water penetrate to the wood, plan on stripping it down if you want to maintain an even color.

Tom

TomChum
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 15:22 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: Martian
Oils don't last as long, but are easy to redo.

Yes Martian, thanks for the 25 year answer. This seems like the way to go. I used In-Wood, one coat, and it was easy. Rubbed it with a rag after 48 hours, its smooth and shiny, looks great!
In-Wood oil stain finish
In-Wood oil stain finish
Stained fir veneer door, water beading.
Stained fir veneer door, water beading.

Martian
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 15:46

That looks good.

larry
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 22:25

Quoting: MtnDon
Interlux Perfection two-part varnish

that is the stuff!!! used on boats the stuff is all but bullet proof. i live near the big lakes and if you want it sealed for good that is what is used in these parts.
my boat
my boat

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.