Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Polygal Polycarbonate Panels for Canopy
rockies
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 18:27

I'm thinking about having a covered deck off the west side of the cabin but don't want a solid roof creating a dark space outside the window. Has anyone used these multi-wall panels for a canopy roof? Apparently the thicker ones can support a 70 lb per sq' snow load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysn_Wc8wPw

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 18:37

I have not, but I have seen similar setups, that were fairly old, that leaked. No way to fix except to replace.

DaveBell
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 18:40

The almost clear fiberglass panels might be better. I found hail damage polycarbonate panels on Google Images.

Just
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 18:48

fiberglass on 16 in. purloins in Canada been up there since 1978
excolite
excolite

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 19:17

I used coregated clear panels and was very pleased with them. Held up well, (other than the tree), but replacing one piece was a fairly simple repair. Kept it nice and bright, but need a quick cleaning every few years to clean them up a bit.

bobrok
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 19:26

Just thinking outside the box here. I also wanted a covered deck but had concerns with light, too.
I installed an RV retractable awning and I love it! Rain protection when I need it. Sunlight when I roll it up.

NorthRick
# Posted: 12 Jan 2020 11:50

I disagree with the recommendations on fiberglass. The resin will off gas and eventually the glass fibers will become exposed. They will trap dirt and dust and end up looking like Just's photo.

Polycarbonate panels, while more brittle, will stay clear and be much easier to clean. I have a fair bit of roof, both here in town and out at the cabin, that is polycarbonate.

Hail isn't a big concern here but snow load is. As long as it is properly supported the panels will handle a large snow load.

Turtletownman
# Posted: 12 Jan 2020 18:06

When I was a kid we had a fiberglass roof on the patio, I didn 't learn. I covered a screen porch next to a live oak and surrounded by pines with a plastic roof to let the light in. I could never keep either of the roofs clear of leaves and pine needles. They looked terrible. Never again.

Bob

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.