Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Polygal Polycarbonate Panels for Canopy
rockies
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 18:27

I'm thinking about having a covered deck off the west side of the cabin but don't want a solid roof creating a dark space outside the window. Has anyone used these multi-wall panels for a canopy roof? Apparently the thicker ones can support a 70 lb per sq' snow load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysn_Wc8wPw

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 18:37

I have not, but I have seen similar setups, that were fairly old, that leaked. No way to fix except to replace.

DaveBell
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 18:40

The almost clear fiberglass panels might be better. I found hail damage polycarbonate panels on Google Images.

Just
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 18:48

fiberglass on 16 in. purloins in Canada been up there since 1978
excolite
excolite

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 19:17

I used coregated clear panels and was very pleased with them. Held up well, (other than the tree), but replacing one piece was a fairly simple repair. Kept it nice and bright, but need a quick cleaning every few years to clean them up a bit.

bobrok
# Posted: 8 Apr 2016 19:26

Just thinking outside the box here. I also wanted a covered deck but had concerns with light, too.
I installed an RV retractable awning and I love it! Rain protection when I need it. Sunlight when I roll it up.

NorthRick
# Posted: 12 Jan 2020 11:50

I disagree with the recommendations on fiberglass. The resin will off gas and eventually the glass fibers will become exposed. They will trap dirt and dust and end up looking like Just's photo.

Polycarbonate panels, while more brittle, will stay clear and be much easier to clean. I have a fair bit of roof, both here in town and out at the cabin, that is polycarbonate.

Hail isn't a big concern here but snow load is. As long as it is properly supported the panels will handle a large snow load.

Turtletownman
# Posted: 12 Jan 2020 18:06

When I was a kid we had a fiberglass roof on the patio, I didn 't learn. I covered a screen porch next to a live oak and surrounded by pines with a plastic roof to let the light in. I could never keep either of the roofs clear of leaves and pine needles. They looked terrible. Never again.

Bob

37aaron
# Posted: 25 May 2022 16:37

I don't have experience with cabins, but I've heard polycarbonate is pretty strong and weather resistant with patio covers. Also, if you're worried about snow, they're supposed to interlock to prevent leaking.

travellerw
# Posted: 6 Nov 2022 16:01

I can speak a little about this as I owned a laser cutting company and we used to cut plastics for windows.

First, there are 2 materials that people refer to as "plexiglass" or even polycarbonate panels. That would be acrylic sheets (2 grades, extruded or cast). The brand Plexiglass is acrylic. The second is poly carbonate sheets. The brand Lexan is a poly carbonate product. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Lets start with Poly Carbonate. Its much stronger than acrylic for the same thickness. Its virtually unbreakable in suitable thickness (its actually used in bullet proof glass). It is also used in hockey arenas for the top clear section on the boards. It can be cold formed (yes you can bend it without heating) and is super impact resistant. Hit it with a ball-peen hammer and it just dents. Now its weakness.. UV. Poly Carbonate requires a UV coating or will degrade very fast. Its second weakness, cost!

So now acrylic. Acrylic has excellent UV resistance (compared to PC). Sealants stick to it much better. Fair impact resistance when thick enough (cast is better than extruded). Acrylic is more scratch resistant as its harder. Cost wise, its probably half of PC. Now its weaknesses. Its brittle and will crack when bent (extreme bends) or impacted. Even drilling it can cause it to crack. It cannot be cold formed and heat must be used to soften it. Care must be taken when mounting as if you use screws through holes, then it can crack during thermal expansion.

Both would be suitable for a covered deck, but I would probably choose acrylic for its cost and longevity.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 17 Nov 2022 17:42

travellerw that’s excellent information!

Here a decent discussion of fibreglass:

Why Choose Corrugated Fiberglass Roofing Panels?

https://www.endurocomposites.com/about-enduro/news/why-choose-corrugated-fiberglass-r oofing-panels

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 18 Nov 2022 09:53

I don't know if this will help in your decision, but I used poly-carbonate roof panel form Menards called AmeriLux that came in a 8' long piece and was 26" wide. It was intended for roofing. I used it as home-made window well covers. Attached is a picture of how it was used on one of my more complicated window wells. I was able to bend it and shape it without heat and formed a kind of flashing with it in one situation. I pre-drilled where it was fastened, but later discovered the roofing screws (with washer under the head) could be driven through without pilot holes. It was easy to cut with tin snips and a table saw, when needed. It's not pretty, but sure did solve a problem with too much rain water from filling the well area and leaking in through the window.

The second picture is poly-carbonate sheet stock, 3/16 inch thick which I cut with a table saw to fit all three areas of this basement window. In addition, I drilled a hole through it for the dryer vent, as you can see. Our house is made of stone, so this was the best option or else a core drilling company would have had to drill through the stone. Anyway, the panels were held in place with silicone caulking, instead of glazing. It worked out well and there have not been any problems for a year with either application.

I hope this helps in showing how the materials can be utilized.

Tim_Ohio
window well
window well
basement window
basement window

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.