Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Tar roof vs. Torch down vs. EDPM
paulz
# Posted: 10 Nov 2019 19:48

My never ending carport project's roof is in the sheathing stage. It's an almost flat roof, 1/8" per foot. No snow. Big, 35x55 ft. Today I had a roofer come out for a look. He does tar and gravel but apparently now there are alternatives to using gravel. He was honest and said I should look at other alternatives, namely Torch Down and EDPM rubber roof. I may be able to do one of those myself.

Any body used any of these?

ICC
# Posted: 10 Nov 2019 19:57 - Edited by: ICC

It's EPDM.
EPDM = Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer.

No I have never used it myself for a roof. Used it for pond lining. Very durable and I hear it makes a good low pitch roof.

paulz
# Posted: 10 Nov 2019 21:01 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks ICC, EPDM. From what I'm reading it sounds pretty good. Comes in rolls 10-20' wide so only a couple seams, and it looks like it's about a buck a sf..

A roofing company in my area has a deal going on Torch down, $50 a roll that I think is 100 sf. Lots of work for me and seams too plus I don't really know what's involved besides heating it and rolling it out.
Link

https://stockton.craigslist.org/mat/d/roofing-torch-down/6994966179.html

The roofer quoted $7,500 for tar, and that's with my help. But it's a multi layer and might be a better roof.

Sprinkler Guy
# Posted: 10 Nov 2019 21:42

I have epdm on part of my roof at home. It is a very nice product.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 11 Nov 2019 16:02

I worked my way through college doing industrial roofing summers and have used all these products. Asphalt/Tar/Felt roofs use to be gold standard but when oil got expensive so did the roof materials made from petroleum. To keep them down on roof you stone ballast them. This isn’t a job for an amateur

Torch down is a decent roof but isn’t that easy to do and quite a few people catch their roof on Fire

EDPM is pretty much what’s common today. You glue down a rubber membrane. These are either ballasted with stone or are mechanically fasten to roof. I would say you should be able to handle it. Need a wind free day to layout materials

Steve_S
# Posted: 11 Nov 2019 16:21

The Gold Standard in Roofing Underlayment:

Titanium® Synthetic Underlayment.
https://www.owenscorning.com/roofing/products/titanium-udl

paulz
# Posted: 12 Nov 2019 08:38

Thanks guys, looks like EPDM is the stuff, more to follow..

paulz
# Posted: 27 Nov 2019 14:57

Well the rain came to the west coast yesterday. I'm not finished sheathing my never ending carport project so had to revert to plan B, the ubiquitous blue tarp. Not just any blue tarp, a HUGE one. 50x100. Let me tell you, if you think unfolding and spreading out a 12x16 Costco tarp is a pain... There was one saving grace, once it was out there on the flat surface you could shake it and get some air under it and move it like a giant bed sheet.

Hopefully this gets me through winter and I can get a roof on in the spring. I'm tired.
1125191308_Burst01.j.jpg
1125191308_Burst01.j.jpg
1125191606_Burst01.j.jpg
1125191606_Burst01.j.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.