Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar powered refrigerator
TomChum
# Posted: 3 Jun 2011 13:03 - Edited by: TomChum

Here is an interesting little refrigerator. It runs on 114Watt-Hours per day. This number is dependent upon outside temperature, and probably assumes you don't open it. But for this condition, if you had a 60W panel, it would need about 2+ hours of the days' sun to run this refrigerator for 24 hours.

- "Chest type" or top-loading, for best efficiency.
- Requires about 114 Watt-hours per day.
- Runs on voltage between 10-31vDC
- Inside dimensions 12" x 12" x 17"wide
- Outside dimensions 23" x 26" x 30"wide

http://www.sundanzer.com/Chests.htm (the 1.8cubic foot model) This refrigerator costs between $600-$700. One place list $584 + truck-shipping$268 = $852. Northern Tool's price is $690+$40 = $730
SunDanzer50L.pdfAttached file: Sundanzer 12/24v refrigerator info sheet

smitty
# Posted: 3 Jun 2011 13:38

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it for later..
I have been thinking about a small 12v fridge like I used to have in the semi truck. These look way more efficient. And cheaper than a propane.

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Jun 2011 14:02 - Edited by: TomChum

Hi Smitty,,,,, I have a TruckFridge CF49 in my camper,. It is noisy, and it runs 4 minutes on/4minutes off, all day & all night. I would not want a CF49 in my little cabin......

I'm assuming this one is much better insulated, and hopefully has a more efficient control system. It would be great to hear from someone who is using one.

tony
# Posted: 3 Jun 2011 22:24

You may find this interesting also, chest freezer to fridge conversion.
http://www.aselfsufficientlife.com/chest-freezer-to-fridge-conversion-the-most-energy -efficient-fridge-ever.html

TomChum
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 00:37 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: TomChum

- "Chest type" or top-loading, for best efficiency.
- Requires about 114 Watt-hours per day.
- Runs on voltage between 10-31vDC
- Inside dimensions 12" x 12" x 17"wide
- Outside dimensions 23" x 26" x 30"wide

http://www.sundanzer.com/Chests.htm (the 1.8cubic foot model) Northern Tool's price is $690+$40 = $730

OK I ordered this refrigerator from Northern Tool. We'll see how it goes. My cabin is so small I'll probably have to keep it outside.

Funny how they call it "Solar Powered". If you want it to work anytime other than mid-day, a battery is required.
Sundanzer 1.8cu ft refrigerator, 114Watt-hours/day
Sundanzer 1.8cu ft refrigerator, 114Watt-hours/day

bugs
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 15:11

TC

We looked at that one too but eventually went with a chest absorption cooler fridge for the 3 way power options (ac/dc/propane).

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=MpLVhmJm10KtBTZysTyG2 kSbJp9W226Qn4GpJs2CP6rfRPhMCXHY!-1277341145?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443303798&bmUID =1277758325726

We have been very pleased with it. It is super quiet as there is no compressor. We run it on propane when we are at the shack. Last summer we used less than a single 20 lb tank if I recall. Should see how our solar panel set up handles it.

The lady wife now can have ice cubes in her afternoon G&T.

bugs
40 L 3way cooler
40 L 3way cooler

Kithera
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 16:33 - Edited by: Kithera

The nice things about the SunDazer, is while they are expensive, they are Uber efficient. Just because something eats 12V doesn't mean it won't draw 500 watt hours a day. Less than 100 is perfect for even the smallest solar setup. They know it so they can charge that much, knowing that only those off grid would care and the saving on the system off set the cost of the panel.

I personally want to try that conversion, I've seen it before. But, if I do, I want to make the chest myself with something like 6" of rigid foam insulation on all sides, maybe as a series of drawers, so I only open a small part at a time, and don't have to dig for what I want.

Comparing to that triple power cooler, it seems to draw 80 Watts AC when on, and over 1.16KWH/day, in better than average conditions. That's over 10 times the power consumption of the SunDanzer, and assuming you only use it in summer (6 hours daily average of sun), That's still a 200 watt system required. That's significant.

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 16:45

Quoting: bugs
eventually went with a chest absorption cooler fridge for the 3 way power options (ac/dc/propane).

Not bad for $299CDN. Note that it cools about 20degC below ambient (
=36degF) Yes I'd be curious how much watts that items uses in 24Hrs, but if it only costs $15 to run it on propane for a summer that's pretty good. And quiet means you can run it inside the (small) house.

I'm having 2nd thoughts about spending $730, the diff between SunDanzer and yours would purchase another panel and 2 more batteries, and doesn't provide propane backup.

Regarding using a fridge that operates on a differential..... Does it freeze your stuff on a cool night?

bugs
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 17:16 - Edited by: bugs

TC

The cooling element is on the side near the top. We learned that peppers and the like should not be resting next to it unless you want pepperciles. The lady wife had ice cubes for her G&T at 32C. If you don't open and close it all the time it will hold its temp well below 20C ambient we found.

We run ours in a cabinet on the porch as there is no room for it in our tiny shack.

The Sundanzer has a good reputation from what I read. As Kithera mentions it is supposedly super efficient too. It should work very well when the sun shines and the batteries can be kept charged up.

We felt, as you mentioned TC, the added cost both for the unit and also to add to the solar array/battery set up to handle the fridge and all the other electrical amenities we seem to be collecting that the propane cooler was a better fit for us.

Also, as you are aware solar is great except when it stays overcast for days on end... which does happen regularly in our parts. Then what do you do??? I guess go without ice cubes in your G&T.lol

TC I am sure the Sundanzer will give you many years of good service.

Just a ps: The Mobil cooler is not that big so a person could plug it in a home. Cool it down. Load it up with errr beverages of choices and steaks. Toss it in the truck. Plug it into the dc lighter. Get to the cabin. And set it up running on propane. No more need for a cooler full of ice and ice packs.

TomChum
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 00:53 - Edited by: TomChum

Photo of my "current refrigerator". It's 45 deg F, ready for guests!
Creek refrigerator.
Creek refrigerator.

TomChum
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 20:06 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: Kithera
...that triple power cooler ..... seems to draw 80 Watts AC when on, and over 1.16KWH/day, in better than average conditions. That's over 10 times the power consumption of the SunDanzer, and assuming you only use it in summer (6 hours daily average of sun), That's still a 200 watt system required. That's significant.

Hello K, Thanks for the analysis!

So to get 1,160 WH per day you need 200watts x 6 hrs = 1200 watt hours to run that 3-way on electricity (1200 watt-hours JUST for refrigeration!) Interesting for comparison but seems like most would run it on Propane when off the grid. Electric only in the car or on the grid.

I got the Sundanzer, and am using it at my cabin now. It is BIG, nd the size is mostly due to thick insulation. It appears to have the same Danfoss compressor as the "Truckfridge CF49" that I have in my camper van. It's very small inside but the entire unit is so big I'm thinking of building a little shed for it and using it outside.

Seeing how big this $730 fridge is,,,, compared to how small my cabin is. makes me wonder if it would have made more sense to spend the +$400 on more solar panels up in the tree (lots of space outside in the tree!) and buy a smaller, cheaper electric fridge. Or, a 3-way that runs on propane.

Also the Sundanzer does make noise. Pretty quiet, but still, there's the "tink" when the compressor starts up, and the compressor motor noise that goes on for a few minutes. It's so dead-quiet inside my cabin at night I don't think I want to listen to that device. Another reason to keep it outside. Since I have a tiny one-room cabin, efficiency means more that watt-hours consumption.

Other details: The SILENT 3-way fridge that Bugs has; operates on a 36 degree differential, which means that if it's 86 degrees outside, then the fridge is 50. And if it's 66 degrees at night, stuff could freeze inside.

The SunDanzer has NO freezer compartment (no ice cubes or popsicles). Lots to consider here....... But I have this one, will see how it goes.
Sundanzer DC50 1.8cu ft refrigerator, 114Watt-hours/day
Sundanzer DC50 1.8cu ft refrigerator, 114Watt-hours/day

bugs
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 22:51

TC

The Mobil is adjustable in both electrical mode and propane mode. If it is too cold you can turn it "down". The big issue would be when the outside temp is hot for prolonged periods of time. We rarely get those type of temps where we are. If we do get 30C it usually cools off to 20C or less at night which allows the fridge to get close to "real fridge" temps.

Like any fridge you have to learn to get it set right.

Even our fridge at home has cold/freezing spots in it.

ps: Love your "natural" fridge.

TomChum
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 01:55

Thanks bugs, good info. The natural fridge has its benefits...on the downside it's about 600 feet away from the cabin.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 07:52 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: TomChum
The natural fridge has its benefits

like the natural fridge too, i remember going to several camps in the mountains that had food cellar/root cellar to store foods. Anyone have one at their camp????

TomChum
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 09:30

Quoting: turkeyhunter
food cellar/root cellar to store foods. Anyone have one at their camp????

The builder mentioned that when I had the excavator up here, but it wasn't planned prior and it sounded like a big delay. And the excavator cost $325/day to have hanging around. Now, after spending $730 for a fridge that requires more solar panels,,, it doesn't sound all that expensive. I suspect a cellar would have been useful in the winter to prevent stuff from freezing (or water jugs). And maybe it could be hidden under a rug, for security. This shows I have good hindsight.

If I ever have an excavator up here again.... (or a backhoe).....

Kithera
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 10:11

I wonder how much work it would take to "do it right" for a root cellar. Just to insure that a good rain wouldn't flood it. I wouldn't be comfortable just digging a hole in the ground. I agree though, a good one is the easiest way to cool food. I don't think it would cool well enough for things like dairy either.

I'm still pulled by the idea of a 100% solar electric or wind cabin. Propane is convenient, but it is another pull towards "civilized" society. Maybe a methane digester.

Brknarow
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 20:17

Has anyone considered an old fashioned ice box? I've considered the Sundanzer chest freezer which has the same running specs as the refridgerator. Amazon list a solar panel kit that almost has the specs required to run it http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-50048-60-Watt-Solar-Charging/dp/B000CIADLG/ref=sr_1_1? ie=UTF8&qid=1309910989&sr=8-1 and another 15watt panel can be added for less than $100. Keeping a few 2 liter bottles frozen for an ice box wouldn't be any trouble as the freezer would be running anyways. You'd just need to stay on it and keep them rotated out. The solar kit also come with a small inverter which would be go for a couple of lights or maybe a radio as a bonus. I haven't tried this yet but thought someone may be interested.

Just
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 22:32

One beer fridge . Made from the guts of a small discarded water cooler!! will cool one drink every 20 min. gets a fair amount of use at the cabin!! the lable sayes 7 watts ?? don't know how it works !! have to ask M-DON that ???
one beer fridge
one beer fridge

Kithera
# Posted: 6 Jul 2011 08:49

Quoting: Brknarow
Amazon list a solar panel kit that almost has the specs required to run it

That's a pretty good idea for someone who doesn't mind a little active maintainace. However, that seems like a very expensive kit these days. Especially as part of a larger "whole cabin" system, a cost of $1-$2 per watt of solar is a reasonable cost.

Save yourself the difference, and just go out and buy a single 200 watt panel.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.