Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood stove baffle plate
paulz
# Posted: 30 Nov 2019 13:23

I ran a brush down my stove pipe yesterday and of course it got stuck at the bottom and had to remove this heavy plate that sits at an angle 2-3 inches under the top of the stove. I'm sure it's there for a reason and shouldn't be run without it but I recall other stoves without.

Stops hot embers going up the pipe? Stops top of stove from getting too hot? The only benefit of not using it would be packing more wood in at night, which would be nice.
1129191105_HDR.jpg
1129191105_HDR.jpg

Sprinkler Guy
# Posted: 30 Nov 2019 13:29

I am sure it depends on the stove but the baffle in mine allows for the secondary burn. There is a great forum called hearth.com with many knowledgable members. If you post there with your stove make and model I am sure someone can help you

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Nov 2019 13:56

The more time the fire stays in the stove the hotter the stove output. Use the baffle.

What kind of chimney brush and what type of chimney do you have?

paulz
# Posted: 30 Nov 2019 14:52

Ah yes, the secondary burn..makes sense.

Here's the brush I used. Tight fit. Pipe is 6" double wall, straight all the way.

Thanks!
1130191123_HDR_resiz.jpg
1130191123_HDR_resiz.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Dec 2019 07:18

Thats a steel brush? Steel brushes are for masonry chimneys. They can really damage metal chimneys.

https://www.northlineexpress.com/how-to-choose-a-chimney-brush.html. about 1/4 the way down the page with the first pic of the metal brush.

paulz
# Posted: 4 Dec 2019 08:56

Well that's a pisser.

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Dec 2019 09:51

My father used a mostly worn out metal one on a SATURDAY chimney for many years. Didn't have an issue but it was about 6ft of pipe. I use plastic. I'm in year 7 with the same plastic one n it's still tight.

paulz
# Posted: 4 Dec 2019 12:25

What about those creosote burning logs, anything to it?

JDH83VT
# Posted: 5 Dec 2019 15:48

I wouldn't ever count on the creosote burning logs, they are more of a gimmick. I bought one out of morbid curiosity a while back and it didn't perform as advertised. It may have helped a little bit, but it was hard to tell and definitely needed a brush cleaning anyway.

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 Dec 2019 18:50 - Edited by: Nobadays

We use Rutland Kwik-Shot Soot Stoppers on a regular basis and I believe they work well. NOTE... we burn exclusively Aspen so not a pitch heavy wood...AND they won't replace periodic chimney brushing. We burned a cord or better between last winter visits and early spring of pretty wet wood, not green just wet. We threw in one of the Soot Stoppers about once a week. Occasionally we slap the chimney pipe and you can hear the creosote fall down the pipe. Son in law ran a brush down it near the end of June and he said there was little to no build up. Brush just slipped right through. My understanding is the chemical bonds with the creosote and lessens the adhesion to the pipe allowing it to drop and be burned up back in the stove.

Works for us.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.