Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Are there polite "PRIVATE PROPERTY" signs?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 .
KinAlberta
# Posted: 1 Dec 2018 23:46 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Ours is a vacation/weekend property so we aren’t there to monitor it and enforce the rules. As my father used to say: No Trespassing signs just keep the good people out.

So rather than putting up negative signs that some people know they can ignore, I’d rather use nice signs. Best case, the bad people may fear being spotted by the good people.

Not sure if this applies in any way to property signage but is interesting.

Graffiti and litter lead to more street crime | New Scientist

“...
Keizer says that the research is the first to explain and demonstrate experimentally the “broken windows theory”, but he adds that it would be a mistake to see it as vindication of “zero-tolerance” policies, like those deployed to clean up New York in the mid-1990s.

Zero-tolerance policies can be counterproductive, he says, because people simply see them as declaration of war and carry on offending.

Geraldine Pettersson, a consultant in London who co-authored a 2003 report on graffiti for the UK Department of Transport agreed. “You make it sound like a battle, and it becomes a challenge to them,” she says. “

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16096-graffiti-and-litter-lead-to-more-street-c rime/

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 2 Dec 2018 13:35 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

After having people trespass and do illegal things on our property we stopped being nice about our signage.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 2 Dec 2018 21:17 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: silverwaterlady

After having people trespass and do illegal things on our property we stopped being nice about our signage.

We had friends staying at our cabin and the accidentally walked into a neighbouring farm property across the road from the farm house. (Just bush and forest there, no animals, fence is probably long down... so sort of an innocent mistake.

Apparently the wife came out and rather rudely told them to get off her property. That’s twice now in 10 or 15 years for the same friends and the same lady. She must sit there monitoring the road. Anyway, that’s her right and my friends were in the wrong. Being rude though isn’t acceptable.

Coincidentally the farm couple’s son lives in the subdivision backing into our property and a couple years ago asked for permission to keep hunting on our property. We told him no because we had some shooting issues that year and another neighbour not happy about a moose being shot and left near the subdivision.

I don’t really care now if the guy hunts on the property but if he asks again I may mention his mother’s rude treatment of my friends. Maybe I can get a Hatfield and McCoy thing going.

Tit for tat, add in some good old escalation, go all rude and zero tolerance towards average people and post some pictures of gun barrels etc.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.