Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Are there polite "PRIVATE PROPERTY" signs?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
bestill
# Posted: 15 Jul 2015 07:02

Hi guys, I have a 320 acre property here in NSW Australia. I have several signs posted on my place that have deterred some. My signs are those pvc ones with the simple message : Notice surveillance camera in use. Remember, You don't want to piss people off especially when your not there! I found a great deterrent learnt from personal experience. Around my area the properties are big and a hunter can cross several properties on foot with little chance of seeing anyone! Most trespassing in my area occurs from illegal hunters. These guys usually carry no tools to break in but will carry off what they can if the opportunity arises. I found parking an old car near your cabin and having a clothesline with some brightly coloured old clothes permanently wired to it gives the impression that someones home. Most intruders around here will avoid contact if possible. They usually view the property from afar through a scoped rifle. I have on occasion found foot prints inside my property and you can see where they have spotted the cabin and the old car and clothes hanging out and have turned around and gone back the way they came. Hope that helps. Here a picture of my cabin. Its almost finished. There's a another picture of an armed trespasser caught on one of my cameras.
The cabin and haflinger
The cabin and haflinger
armed tresspasser
armed tresspasser

rayyy
# Posted: 16 Jul 2015 16:25

I saw a good one today.It said "to all thieves.Please carry a photo I'D. and a list of close relitives for notification of next of kin.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 19:05 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Cute...

Pipesqueak
# Posted: 24 Sep 2015 13:09 - Edited by: Pipesqueak

I liked this one. About 20 feet past the obligatory "No Trespassing" sign, there was this:

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Sep 2015 21:46

1. If you do not post no trespassing signs, you have no legal recourse in court under "Mens Rea".
2. The sign required and recognized in court is no trespassing. Some jurisdictions also require property owner name and phone number on the sign.
3. Post the signs at the corners of your property and at natural travel avenues.
4. The best practice for posting these signs is as soon as the last sign becomes non visible, nail up another sign.
5. Use metal signs nailed every two inches around the border to prevent easy removal.
6. Hunting by permission only signs are ineffective and invite trespassing. Hunters who are given permission should be given written authorization. Email works. The no trespassing sign with name and phone number allows hunting permission to be requested.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 14 Nov 2015 13:14 - Edited by: KinAlberta

In my case I don't want to allow any hunting or fires, but don't mind people hiking at their own risk.

Just got a call from a neighbour out there. They found a hind end of a moose that was shot and butchered (leaving two younger moose behind) on our property. We had an old barbed wire gate that was down and people were ATVing through it. The No Trespassing sign a hundred feet away apparently didn't deter them.

Neighbour isn't impressed either that people are shooting a few thousand feet from their subdivision.

Modifying that sign I posted further up this thread I may get the following signs made up:

NO FIRES - NO HUNTING

PRIVATE PROPERTY

FOR HIKING ONLY at ONE'S OWN RISK
ALL OTHER USES PROHIBITED

KinAlberta
# Posted: 17 Jul 2016 00:41 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Found some more decent signs

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Estate_Farm_Signs-p1.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRIVATE-LAND-WALKERS-ARE-PERMITTED-Custom-Made-METAL-SIGN-W ARNING-NOTICE-/151741106165

KinAlberta
# Posted: 17 Jul 2016 00:52 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Canadian law...

Trespassing on someone's property
Region: Alberta
Answer Number: 989
The law of trespass in Canada is made up of tort law, provincial legislation, and criminal law.

That said, however, any person can go onto the private property of another during daylight hours if permission to do so is implied. For example, if there is a path up to the front door of a residence and there are no signs warning people to stay off the land, there is implied permission for people to enter, such as a letter carrier. This implied permission can, of course, be revoked instantly by the person in charge of the property. If you are told to leave, you must leave or you could be sued for trespass.

It is noteworthy that trespass is not presumed in privately owned natural areas if it is not posted as prohibited. This point is in line with the philosophy of encouraging recreational activity on privately held lands.

http://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/trespassing-on-someones-property/

jrbarnard
# Posted: 17 Jul 2016 08:23

I would think the following would be a nice way to say no trespassing:

"Please do not walk on my property. I don't like shooting things I don't plan to eat".

Oh yea.

"Have a nice day"

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Jul 2016 18:17

On a chain link fence:

"My dogs can reach this fence in three seconds- can you?"

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Jul 2016 21:29

On my windows in my home "Warning, Dog Eats Everything Owner Shoots"

I have 2 bulldogs, the English would lick the skin right off of ya.

Steve_S
# Posted: 18 Jul 2016 21:56

So many good ones

I wonder what would happen, if you had a skeleton hanging from a nearby tree with a 'Trespasser' sign hanging around it's neck.

For Halloween maybe

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 08:49 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

Steve_S. Like this one?

This is to remind people not to touch my electric fence.
rotated
rotated

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Jul 2016 09:00

Rich... YUP that would do it ! I'd wager that no one has touched that fence either... 20 Kilovolts ?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 11:01

One of our trail cams caught some dude walking beside the pond this weekend. Pretty close to the cabin but fortunately nothing is missing or damaged.

I am now officially invested in this thread lol. Off to pick up some signs.

rmak
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 20:27

Having our place broken into a few years back has affected me. Today I hopped into the truck to go out to get something. I passed a young guy standing on the road looking around. I immediately did a 180 and went back to lock everything up. I hate to be like this, but I can't help it. I know how you feel LoonWhisperer.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 21:07

Our neighbor saw people trying to break into our cars last night.
Kind no trespassing signs don't work. Say it, say it strongly... No Trespassing!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Jul 2016 22:48

I have infected my place with these signs and hidden game cameras and cameras on each end of the cabin.
P1020656.JPG
P1020656.JPG

KinAlberta
# Posted: 9 Aug 2016 17:57 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: RichInTheUSA
Our neighbor saw people trying to break into our cars last night.
Kind no trespassing signs don't work. Say it, say it strongly... No Trespassing!

You have to lock your vehicles there?

No sign, except an alarm sign, is likely going to stop the bad people. I don't mind good people coming onto the property and going for walks.

Our neighbours are welcome and they also watch over the place as a result. For decades we also welcomed the families from the RV resort a block away. They were always respectful and appreciative.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 10:29

My driveway has 2 signs. One says Private driveway.
The other says video cameras in use.

I like the idea of clothes hanging on a line. Makes it look like someone is living there full time.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 29 Nov 2018 11:59

Maybe:

Private Property
(What’s left of it)
All Valuables Removed
during the last break-in

manny
# Posted: 29 Nov 2018 18:18

Trespassers will be prostituted.:

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Nov 2018 20:17

Quoting: KinAlberta
Cute...

Not really cute or funny. This crap is going on 40 miles from my primary residence.....these people are 75% young males with as many as 10% criminal element imbedded according to DHS. It is a mess and even the local Mexicans are fighting with them. Bad sh*t....Sorry to jump at ya, I'm guessing you don't know any of this, but this is a hot button issue around here. Just so you know. Not funny. They are welcome to apply for asylum if they do it legally.

Greenland South
# Posted: 29 Nov 2018 20:56

This might be one of my favourites. I found it somewhere on the internet where they were discussing this topic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

dmanley
# Posted: 30 Nov 2018 09:37

My neighbor has one that says "If you can read this sign you are in range".

KinAlberta
# Posted: 30 Nov 2018 15:28 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: Borrego

Not really cute or funny. This crap is going on 40 miles from my primary residence.....these people are 75% young males with as many as 10% criminal element imbedded according to DHS. It is a mess and even the local Mexicans are fighting with them. Bad sh*t....Sorry to jump at ya, I'm guessing you don't know any of this, but this is a hot button issue around here. Just so you know. Not funny. They are welcome to apply for asylum if they do it legally.

Problems here too. And as I’ve posted up-thread I’ve had people shooting on our property, running atvs on it and worst of all, having campfires on the property. Plus about 12 months ago we had a break-in to a number of our buildings. Minimal loss - some diesel in brand new jerry cans.

I’m putting on some used steel commercial doors on a couple of the buildings and hope to beef up the locks / security on the other buildings.

Rural crime is at ‘crisis levels’ in Alberta, says Foothills MP | Globalnews.ca

https://globalnews.ca/news/4701246/foothills-mp-rural-crime-alberta-conservatives/

Alberta Conservative MPs ask for use of force leeway in rural crime | CBC News

Specifically, the report requests:

Adding the requirement for judges, when determining reasonableness, to consider remote locations and timelines of emergency response, willingness of suspect to leave the premises when requested, number of people committing the crime and codification of current common law principles regarding self defence, defence of third parties and defence of property.
Amending the code to add targeting vulnerable people or property including remote rural properties as an aggravating factor in sentencing.
According to the report, 17 requests were made for such changes.

Calkins said people find they're outnumbered, they fear for their lives and feel they should be allowed to defend themselves without fear of prosecution.

Offside with the law

"They're wondering what is it that they're all to do," Calkins said. "Because we've seen several high profile cases in Alberta and across the Prairies recently where people who do try to defend themselves find themselves offside with the law."

...”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/rural-crime-conversative-report-1.4916398

Fanman
# Posted: 1 Dec 2018 08:53

The laws regarding trespassing vary from state to state. In NY where our cabin is, people can legally go onto private land for hiking, hunting, whatever, unless the land is posted. In CT, posting is not required.

I've seen some nice signs on hiking trails in CT where they cross private land: "The owner of this land has permitted the marking of this trail for the benefit of the traveling public. Please stay on the trail. Camping, fishing, and hunting are strictly prohibited."

KinAlberta
# Posted: 1 Dec 2018 15:02 - Edited by: KinAlberta

That’s the type of sign I’ve been looking for. You’ll see my example up-thread. However it seems impossible to find one retailed anywhere.

Amazingly the shops that sell hiking, hunting and fishing equipment don’t sell any signage that would assist property owners in encouraging respectful property use. Eg “Hiking and fishing allowed but no fires.” Or “Birding allowed but no game hunting”, “ATVs allowed only on trails - absolutely no tearing up turf or crossing in creek.” ...

Instead owners are forced to ban all via “No Trespassing” and “You can see me but you’re already in my sights” signs.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 1 Dec 2018 15:10 - Edited by: KinAlberta

A good read:

Two Fish, One Fish, No Fish—Alberta’s Fish Crisis

by Lorne Fitch, P. Biol.
Copyright © 2015, All Rights Reserved.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Dec 2018 17:38

Here is a link where I ordered custom signs. They are very well made and no they are not "nice".

Why should I be nice if somebody is trespassing on my property. I have a locked gate and other signs before the locked gate.

If someone decides to trespass I will know it and I will contact the authorities.
https://www.mysecuritysign.com/MSS/Custom_Security_Signs.aspx

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.