Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northern wisconsin cabin
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 33 . 34 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 15:57 - Edited by: trollbridge

Sustainusfarm Yes our bridge is still there. We still have a "waterfront" cabin just like a month ago when we left it and the skeeters are ferocious!!!!!! Some trees down but no damage thankfully. I have no right to complain...you are correct! I hope everything with your Dad is okay. Are you in Moquah now or going soon still?

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 18:59

We are hoping to get up there in July sometime...not sure exactly when yet....Ill let you know....In the meantime we are getting ready to cover the underside of our porch roof with bead board...I think we will paint it sky blue like the victorians used to, which is supposed to help keep the hornets from building their nests under there....something about it looking like the sky to them?? We will see!

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 19:09

I love your porch and the inter-changeable screens/doors!

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 12:48

Hey all!

No....we haven't got to the cabin so no updates there. Summer is a busy time for us- so much company and things going on here it is crazy!!! You have all helped me keep my sanity more times than you will ever know-----sneaking off for a relaxing moment or two to read what everybody else is doing has been a life saver and such a great distraction. The summer heat we just had......I just wanted to sit still and do nothing all day-thanks for keeping me company!!!

Mr. Troll and I would like to share our latest family news with you-no, it is not another grandchild, but rather a baby for us! I guess the stork decided he needed to make another visit to us-he told us he would be back early December with a blue or pink bundle to drop off! YIKES!

We couldn't be more surprised or nervous, but all is going well so far and we are very, very excited! Just think...our new little baby will have always grown up with our cabin in his or her life! I hope they love being there as much as we do!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 16:49

Wow! congratulations on that big news.

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 21:38

Thanks Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 21:55

I just realised yesterday, how equal I have to be to the granchildren. They all vie for attention and watch our every move. When I had each one of my own, I spoiled the heck out of them. With nine granchildren I can't do that as much.
You're going to enjoy your new life. Good for you.

Owen

naturelover66
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 22:10

XO Congrats !!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 23:19

congrats !!!!!! wish you all the best!!!!!

hattie
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 00:45

WOW - great news! Congratulations!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 21:22

Thank you naturelover, turkeyhunter and Hattie!!
Quoting: OwenChristensen
You're going to enjoy your new life.

I know, we feel blessed!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 22:41

Well, Well, Well...looks like I missed something! Congrats!

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 15:31

Thanks Sustainusfarm!
It will be spit up and goobers all over for us but it actually will just blend right into our grandchildren's spit up! LOL!
I take care of our 3 grandchildren 3-4 days a week while their parents are at work and someone is always goobing on me!

Today though, I am goober free, as it is my day off! Instead I have been to the doctor and heard the re assuring sound of our wee ones heartbeat again and I am catching up on loads of laundry and cleaned (well sorta) the house......okay.....alright.....that is sorta a stretch of the truth......I only cleaned the kitchen......there is a lot more I could do Feel guilty now...I'm going......at least for a while.......................... Hmmmmmmm.......maybe a nap too

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 19:25

I saw the zoo opened back up after the flood. Sounds like the polar bear is still at Como Park Zoo while they continue work on his special space, hopefully he will find himself home soon

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Jul 2012 13:58

Sniff* Sniff*........ Mr. Troll is at the cabin with our oldest son.........and I am stuck here at home......Sniff*

They both took their tractors to the cabin to do some "dirty work". I was going to get together with some old high school friends but then I hurt my back planting 8 new flowering bushes last weekend and just to add insult to injury all week I lifted, lugged and carried babies around. I am just lying low for the weekend.

They left early this morning instead of last night. My son discover his rear brake caliper was hot and smoking just in the 3 miles from our house to his. They fixed that last night and thank you to the young man at the store who loaned the tools out to them for free it went fairly well. I returned the tools this morning and he was there working and I thanked him again for them.........there is still plenty of goodness in this world!!

Sooooooo, hopefully after this weekend we will no longer have a holding pond right outside our back door! I hope the tractor my husband bought is powerful enough to do all he wants done and that he is happy with it...next he wants to build a shed to "house" his new baby....I say we need to get cranking on the interior of the cabin so we can "house" the even better baby that is going to come in December!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 12:36 - Edited by: trollbridge

Men and tractors are dangerous..................I guess they are building a whole pond!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who knew! I asked where and they said about 50' out from the sliding door in the dining room. Oh jeez...I can just see the DNR there now........fines in hand....yikes!

naturelover66
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 14:25

I want a pond too....
Do you have beautiful dark brown sand like i do across the lake?

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 15:52

Hi naturelover.

When they left I asked them to please be careful. I was thinking the dangers were to them, but now I know no wildflower, shrub or tree is safe from the fury of the mighty tractor and its driver!!!

Lord only knows the level of shock I will go into the next time I get up there and see what they have done! Our soil is pretty sandy and it is almost all sand out in the clearing. It is a medium brown I would say. I guess they are moving piles around blah blah....problem with cell phones is our conversation was very broken. Then again, maybe Mr. Troll meant for it to be that way!!!

Now...if it holds water year round it will be a miracle and I must admit it will be awesome. But the original goal was to just make a trench system for water drainage away from the cabin. If they have solved our standing water problem then mission accomplished -buying the tractor was worth it!

Have you got to your place since the beginning of July? How's that hammock holding up??? LOL!

naturelover66
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 21:01

No... we hope to visit in early august for my birthday... hopefully I will be lounging in the hammock again soon...

I hope your family has a safe and productive time up north.

Drop tine
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 15:50 - Edited by: Drop tine

Here's all the pictures I was able to take... As you can see, there IS a trench leading the water away from the cabin and into the pond. Just need some rain.
20120721_09.44.17..jpg
20120721_09.44.17..jpg
20120722_14.22.24..jpg
20120722_14.22.24..jpg
20120722_14.22.54..jpg
20120722_14.22.54..jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 17:02

Thanks Drop tine!

Not what I was picturing in my head but I like the location and orientation! I am relieved because I thought things would be much more torn up! Thank you for your hard work and I heard it was even hotter temps there than here. Think it will hold water? That would be sweet!

Wow that clearing really needed mowing didn't it???

Drop tine
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 17:21

By the time we finished the bottom of the pond was starting to get fairly wet from groundwater. It's hard to judge the ponds size by the pictures but I'm estimating about 20' x 40' and about 3-4' deep, if it ever gets full. Theres still some dirt work to be done but it should drain good for now.
Mowing the clearing took a while.

BTW, for anyone who's wondering, I guess I'm a 2nd generation troll.

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 17:36

I was afraid you might have got the pond over the property line. I was thinking it ran the other direction plus the distance from the cabin. But it will be perfect that way!

Did you have to mow the driveway too just to find the place? I heard Laura's little pine tree got decapitated I bet it will stay strong and grow back though.

Bevis
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 21:10

nice little retention pond.

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Aug 2012 12:28 - Edited by: trollbridge

We got away to our cabin this past weekend and it was glorious!!!!! I had almost forgotten how much I love the place. I found myself looking around like it was practically the first time I had been there!

Our pond had water in it. Muddy water, but water! I couldn't believe how high it had been at one point. We had a thunderstorm Friday night so it was good to see how our trench worked and were more tweaking needs to be done. I am very happy with the location, the size and the clearing that was done so far around the cabin. Amazing the speed of work that can get done with a tractor compared to a lopper and shovel!!

We got our stair risers and treads on- they just need poly now. They feel so much better than the temporary treads we had.

The weather was absolutely perfect- fall like compared to what we have been having! Beautiful, breezy and sunny...not many skeeters either!

Can't wait to get back---can't go the next 2 weekends but hopefully after that! YAY!
cabinaug_5_2012_01.jpg
cabinaug_5_2012_01.jpg
cabinaug_5_2012_00.jpg
cabinaug_5_2012_00.jpg
cabinaug_5_2012_00.jpg
cabinaug_5_2012_00.jpg
cabinaug_5_2012_00.jpg
cabinaug_5_2012_00.jpg

exsailor
# Posted: 7 Aug 2012 12:48 - Edited by: exsailor

The problems with small pond that is not fed by a stream or spring are evaporation and water seepage back down to the ground water level. In another post they discussed fixing a leaking pond. It required mixing a compund into the soil bottom of the pond. I sincerely hope your pond works out, because a cabin on a lake or pond is just too Sweet! Maybe I posted this too soon seems you hit ground water level.

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 22:30

Yep...that is the current ground water level. I hope it holds water year round but we'll see. Even if it doesn't always have water in it at least it gives the rain a place to go. It was pooling right up next to the back of the cabin with nowhere to go before.

BlaineHill
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 22:34

TB,

The pond is a spiritual requirement that I have not yet attempted. I think yours will turn out great. Only twice have I ever seen ponds refuse to fill. 90% of ponds are filled from surface run-off, but there is always a lot of romanticism surrounding spring-fed ponds. The water will clear as you get a good organic base in there, and silt will be controlled by surface vegetation. Just beautiful.

P.S. I am glad I am not the only one face-screwing my stair treads. It does not feel right, but I keep telling myself... "it's just a cabin".

Dillio187
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 10:35

the bug level has definitely tapered way off. the last 2 weekends I haven't been carried away by horse and deer flies!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 10:48

I hardly noticed the face screws. We had access under so I use pocket screws. That was a lot of extra time - that wasn't needed!

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.