Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 180 sq ft. Log Cabin
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
dstraate
# Posted: 20 Sep 2011 10:58

Well, we've finally got something going now. I wanted to post for a while, but figured we needed some more progress before we posted it here.

We are finally gaining ground on our shed at 8200' in the Rockies.
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1712.jpg
IMG_1712.jpg
IMG_1722.jpg
IMG_1722.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Sep 2011 11:07

Wow! That's not what I would call a shed!!!! It's beautiful. Did you build it yourself? Your view is incredible...I would do nothing all day, just gaze at the mountains! Congratulations!

dstraate
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 10:17

Can't say I built it myself. We've had a crew of 3 working for a couple of weeks now. I get out there and help when I can. True to form though, we went last weekend and got nothing accomplished but gazing at the mtns.

Montanan
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 11:13

Really nice! Love the look of those logs and the way the roof overhang covers the front porch. If you don't mind me asking, where are you in the Rockies?

dstraate
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 14:02

We have some wild similarities as I look at your build Montanan. My wife and I also teach, and are also using the shed as a ski bunkie (We're 25 miles from a ski hill). The place is in Southern Colorado.

Montanan
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 15:44

Fabulous! I'm actually from Colorado- grew up in Colorado Springs and lived in Fort Collins before moving to Montana. I've skied/boarded at many of the ski areas in CO. It makes a HUGE difference to be close to the hill- much better than having to drive multiple hours each way. Are you hoping to be buttoned up and ready to use the cabin this ski season?

It snowed at the hill by our place yesterday!

Malamute
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 22:06

Your cabin looks great!

hattie
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 23:06

Nice work! Beautiful!!

neb
# Posted: 23 Sep 2011 17:30

Very nice and a dream come true.

dstraate
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 11:41

Managed to get up there last weekend. Windows hung, chinking started, staining started. Wow, that stuff has a powerful smell. Pretty sure I still have a contact high. We even managed to get a couple of Aspens planted. Fall is just starting to show its beauty. We have much to do before the snow flies though.
Roof is on
Roof is on
Loft detail
Loft detail
Under loft
Under loft
Aspen Plantings
Aspen Plantings

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 14:42

Let us know when you are done...we'll be ready to move in!!!!!! Hurry up now =)

Montanan
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 16:42

Absolutely gorgeous! What kind of stain did you use? That's great that you got some aspens in. We definitely need to diversify our forest. It's all lodgepole pine and beetle kill is significant in the area (though our acreage has been spared thus far.)

dstraate
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 11:37

The stain is just regular Sashco Log stain. That's one thing we have going for us down here is tree diversity. From my place I can see Gambel, Aspen, Ponderosa, Blue Spruce, and way up there, Doug and Subalpine Fir, and Engleman Spruce.

I will say, areas directly North of us have been hit hard, so I would imagine that we will see problems at some point, but I hope everything comes out alright

bhebby
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 19:55

Nice place!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 14:57

awesome cabin----nice job!!!!

dstraate
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 10:53

Well, after a couple nights of the dog's water bowl freezing and using 4 blankets, we finally got started on the wood stove. It was an older craigslist pickup, so we resealed the whole thing, and took to cutting a hole in the roof. We ran single wall pipe to the ceiling, then triple wall through the roof box. We managed to get the roof flashing in place after a little bit of finagleing, attached the spark arrestor and drip cap, and sealed it up with blackjack.

As you can see, we didn't have toe holds, so we did the good ol' fashioned "tie a ladder to a trunk on the other side of the eve" trick. Our rope wasn't duty rated for the 3 240lb guys working the project, but everyone made it out alright.

I still have a bit of learning to do with regards to burn intensity, and smoke reduction, but we're well on our way. Just skied last weekend and it never got below 50.
IMG_1391.JPG
IMG_1391.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1392.JPG
IMG_1392.JPG

customrunner
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 11:54

Very nice little cabin, thanks for sharing.

Montanan
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 14:38

Great work on the stove! Your chimney doesn't look too tall, but it could be the angle. Do you get good draw? If so, you shouldn't have any smoke in the cabin at all. How does it do overnight?

Creative solution you had there for the ladder. We have a really long extension ladder so we were able to just lean it against the roof and walk up...good thing too, as our 2 sections of double wall weighed a TON and it was just my husband and I putting it up there.

dstraate
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 14:52

You're right about the chimney. We only used one section of triple wall. It seems to draw just fine though. Mostly I need to just start a good hot fire immediately and not fiddle around. A little bit of smoke from a fumbling fire starter can make 180 ft. smoky in a hurry. Most of my issues are user error and unseasoned wood.

TomChum
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 16:33 - Edited by: TomChum

Cool cabin! Mine is the same size.

Quoting: dstraate
You're right about the chimney. We only used one section of triple wall.

In general you want the chimney 2 feet above the peak. You might check into adding another section of triplewall (after the checkbook cools down). If shopping craigslist be aware that sections from different mfrs NEVER fit together. It is useful to have triplewall outside to maintain high flue temp for good draw and also in case your wood supply has a lot of creosote. And it might help to have a little longer flue.

When you build your fire::::
Build your normal arrangement of paper and kindling. But then put another fluffy ball of of newspaper ABOVE the little starter fire (or maybe behind). Light the kindling paper first, (as normal) then when it's lit in a few spots, touch off the upper ball of paper.

When the upper ball of paper goes off quickly and hot it will start your draft up the chimney.

Another tip I have for a small-cabin newby. Small cabin=small stove=all burned up by 4:AM. I buy the biggest, heaviest presto-logs I can find and use one per night. Just before bedtime fill the stove up and put that one presto-log on the top. With that method I've had good luck waking up to coals.

fthurber
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 19:45

Very nice. I don't like the OSB but you covered it up very nicely. Sweet little cabin.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 21:45

That place is a true gem. Thanks for sharing. Wish I had the skills, time, and help to accomplish a cabin like that one.

iowan
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 22:11

The place is truely a catch... and I must say the names of the mountains around are fitting. Only you could get a place next to a mountain called nipple mountain.

On a serious note how has the nights been going, you just get one hot fire and let it burn out or try to keep it going all the way til morning,

Still no snow in Iowa, it was sad leaving such a winter wonderland.
So beautiful

Montanan
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 00:39

Quoting: TomChum
Small cabin=small stove=all burned up by 4:AM. I buy the biggest, heaviest presto-logs I can find and use one per night. Just before bedtime fill the stove up and put that one presto-log on the top. With that method I've had good luck waking up to coals.

We have a similar method for keeping the fire going at night, but we just use a big round log that has not been split (but is well seasoned.) We set that on top and close the damper almost all the way. It keeps us toasty all night up in the loft. In the morning, we send our 10 year old down to throw some more wood on...then we get up and have our coffee. ;o) We do have a somewhat larger stove though, as our cabin is about 550 sf on the main floor.

Malamute
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 10:37 - Edited by: Malamute

Your cabin looks great!

A better way to keep a fire all night is to put the big wood in first, and laid tightly together on the bottom of the stove, then build a starter fire on top, kindling and some small wood, after it gets going, damp it down and it should run all night easily.

I was curious, looking at your roof, it looked like the laps didnt lay tight together. I can't tell from the pics, but which part did you put on top, the short sided edge, or the one with the little "extension" past the rib? Wasnt sure if it looked that way because of the way it was lapped, or because you didnt use stitch screws.

I've used 1x material to fill in between the ribs when using hard chimney flashing on ribbed roof metal. I goo them down with Log Jam, shoot a couple finish nails in them to keep in place, then goo under the flashing and screw it down.

dstraate
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 10:52

Quoting: iowan
On a serious note how has the nights been going, you just get one hot fire and let it burn out or try to keep it going all the way til morning,

Based on the grammatical issues I'm guessing Chris? How's it hangin' bro? Have any methheads doing the 100m dash from you lately? I bet they keep you in shape this time of year.

If we can get it up to 70 we'll burn one last log and close the damper. However, based on the info here, we might be tweaking that just a bit. The coldest I've awoke to was 45, but it was about 10 degrees outside and blowing like fury. It's been comfy enough, a good sight better than the river.

Quoting: Montanan
In the morning, we send our 10 year old down to throw some more wood on...then we get up and have our coffee.

Gosh, that makes kids sound downright bearable. If you can train them to make coffee, you'll be on to something. You got any snow up there yet miss? We've been getting clobbered down here. Supposed to get another big 4-day blizzard starting tonight.

dstraate
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 10:59

Quoting: Malamute
I've used 1x material to fill in between the ribs when using hard chimney flashing on ribbed roof metal. I goo them down with Log Jam, shoot a couple finish nails in them to keep in place, then goo under the flashing and screw it down.

Well, I just gooed the living heck out of it. I wish I would have known that first. It would have been a better seal no doubt. I might have to go back and take that route this spring.

brokeneck
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 17:52

Beautiful job -- and nice craigslist stove -- I found ours on it as well -- we're at 9200 ft her in Colorado and it really comes in handy --

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 19:22

It looks great and I love the stove.

dstraate
# Posted: 21 Dec 2011 09:52

Well, we're in the midst of ski season, and will be headed up for 3 days tonight, then we'll spend a week starting the 1st (My idea of a Happy New Year). We've had tons of snow, but it's my understanding that much of Colorado has not been so lucky. Hopefully that's changing soon.

Here is the cabin in modest holiday regalia, featuring a $10 craigslist wreath, $2 craigslist garland, a snowman, and a string of lift tickets.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
DSC00381.JPG
DSC00381.JPG
DSC00378.JPG
DSC00378.JPG
DSC00389.JPG
DSC00389.JPG

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.