Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My 10 X 12 Post & Beam
. 1 . 2 . >>
fthurber
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 20:14 - Edited by: fthurber

Here is the start. For the first time ever I am using plywood but only for the underfloor since I have some solid cherry to go over it (a sawmill friend gave the cherry to me after taking him out striper fishing).

The rest of the cabin is green sawmill pine. The frames are 4x6 and the lesser beams are 4x4.

Hope to raise the ridgepole this weekend and start the roof joists. The sawmill is cutting some custom 4x3 for the roof joists.
4x6 frames
4x6 frames
center post
center post
corner
corner

fthurber
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 21:02

It started as a simple cabin in our woods but my wife the art student girl has been embellishing it. It is so tall so it can have a sleeping loft with skylights. Wood stove and porch also; we will see how much of that I get done.

Nirky
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 21:19

Looks good, love learning about other methods of construction as I am a construction novice. So am wondering the reason(s) you chose this method of construction over say 2x4 or 2x6?

fthurber
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 21:42 - Edited by: fthurber

I much prefer the look of post & beam so there is no room for 2x4 in a post & beam. I like to over-build since I do not want to be on a wonky structure when I do the roof and want something that can withstand limbs and heavy snow. These are real 4x6 and 4x4 from the sawmill ).i.e they really measure 4x4 and 4x6).

Using sawmill wood looks nice and it is cheaper than the garbage from the Big Box stores. I hate plywood and hate OSB even more. I had to use plywood this time however for the floor but got it from our local family-owned building materials place after being burned at Lowes.

Nirky
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 21:58

Thanks for the info. I share your desire to overbuild. Since you say there is no room for 2x4 in post and beam, how will you be finishing the walls, using 4x4 or 4x6's? And what will you be covering those beams with if not plywood or OSB?

fpw
# Posted: 1 Dec 2011 08:31

Very nice. I think you will like th extra height once you get the loft installed. Be careful raising the ridge!

Any reason you put the knee braces on the bottom? I have not done post and beam construction. But in a timberframe structure, knee braces at the top are plenty to keep the structure from racking in the wind.

I, too, like real dimensional lumber off the sawmill. Took me a while to get use to looking at 2" x 4" that was truely 2" x 4". Now, I can't cut or use anything else.

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Dec 2011 15:34

Congrats on getting started!!! What size are you planning on building? I agree with fpw that you will most likely enjoy the extra height in the end...though it is more difficult to build. Enjoy the process, and keep the pics coming!

fthurber
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 07:16

Why did I put braces on the bottom? Because I am nuts I guess! I was up top recently and tried shaking the building; it is like rock--no movement at all.

fthurber
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 07:17

I will be covering the beams with ship lap from the sawmill or maybe board & batten. On the outside only so that I can see the beams on the inside.

fthurber
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 21:00

I had the sawmill cut some 4x3's for my rafters and am putting them up now (my wife does not want 2x6 because they eat into the loft space). My son and I are very slow but I hope to get them all up by the end of the weekend. This is going to be a massively strong structure....overbuilt but we do have wicked winter storms.

I will be putting 1x10 on for the roof and then the weather-seal and the shingles. I am going to see if the sawmill can kiln dry the 1x10s so there is no shrinkage factor!

fthurber
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 19:15

We started to put the roof rafters up this weekend. We are using 4x3 from the sawmill.
Upper corner showing knee braces and bird's mouth notch
Upper corner showing knee braces and bird's mouth notch
Sawing up a rafter
Sawing up a rafter

steveqvs
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 20:00

Wow, impressive. How did you learn to build with post and beam. Seems like a lot is going on in each picture! That looks like one strong cabin!

fthurber
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 21:11

I don't really know what I am doing; I just picked up some tips from a classic shed book. I previous build a couple of shed and my wife's pottery studio (post & beam also).

The structure is over build but I prefer it that way...

neb
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 21:43

I like the look. Would you share some pictures of the inside of the studio you biult for your wife? It loks strong and very nice construction.

fthurber
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 21:53 - Edited by: fthurber

Sure. Here is the interior with a door being prepared. We were snookered by Home Depot on one this door--we thought it was solid pine but it delaminated when it got wet--we should know better than to trust that a Big Box would deliver solid wood. It was not described as an exterior door but it looked like solid wood--what could go wrong? Ha
Getting door ready
Getting door ready

fthurber
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 21:57

Here are some more
corner post
corner post
wall with home-made window
wall with home-made window
rafters with skylight
rafters with skylight

neb
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 22:05

SquidLips

Thanks again for the pictures. I just found the post that you had pictures of the inside and the inside looks great. I also like the open beam look and great construction. Thanks

fthurber
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 20:29

The insulation question has not been answered. In my wife's studio we put in a second layer of wood on the outside. I was sort of thinking of doing this with some sheet insulation such as cork!?

fthurber
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 22:50

My son and I got the rafters finished today. I will post pix tomorrow I hope. I had some 8 foot 4x3's cut at the sawmill for the rafters; they look really neat. I used 4x4 on the ends.

Hope to start the roof tomorrow. I am using 1x10's from the sawmill. Unfortunately they are as green as grass but I do not have time to season them; the weather is overdue to turn bad and I need a roof on quick to protect the rest of the cabin.

I plan to put ice and water shield over the whole roof and then tack on asphalt shingles. Not very elegant considering the rest off the structure but it lasts a long time. I have done shingles in the past and they only last for about 10 years

Nirky
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 01:12

Is asphalt more cost effective than metal?

fthurber
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 07:42

I have not tried metal yet. My wife and I did build a tin shed from Sears and it was terrible. It leaked and the water could not evaporate. The mold ruined everything inside. Never again. We should have know; their tin sheds were on sale but it was still a few hundred dollars down the drain and all the stuff in the shed ruined. I will never to metal again; I know that quality metal roofs last but never again for me.

Metal roof are very popular here in the northeast but I am too conservative; my last two buildings have been asphalt over ice/water shield over solid pine planks and they have held up beautifully. Besides the wood planking on the inside looks nice.

fthurber
# Posted: 12 Dec 2011 18:26 - Edited by: fthurber

We got all the rafters up and half the roof planks.
The rafters and the collar ties
The rafters and the collar ties
Was made tall to support a loft.
Was made tall to support a loft.

fthurber
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 19:40 - Edited by: fthurber

We have started to add planks to the roof. These are just 1x10's from the sawmill and will act as underlayment.
Start of the roof
Start of the roof
The roof will extend over the rafters of course
The roof will extend over the rafters of course

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 20:16

looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fthurber
# Posted: 14 Dec 2011 13:27

but it is going sooooo slowly and the clockis ticking; I have to get the roof finished before the bad weather sets in and the bad weather is overdue...

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Dec 2011 15:19

keep plugging away-you'll get there.

Bevis
# Posted: 17 Dec 2011 00:59

I think you'll make it in time. Looks good and sturdy so far.

neb
# Posted: 17 Dec 2011 08:31

Looks good. Keep us posted would like to see more pictures once you get the roof on.

sweet75
# Posted: 19 Dec 2011 11:51

I can't wait to see it. It already shows so much promise.

fthurber
# Posted: 19 Dec 2011 20:39 - Edited by: fthurber

We worked on the roof today. The first step was to build (actually "cobble" is the correct word) some scaffolding.

Progress is unbelievably slow but we got most of the ice & water shield on (we cover the whole roof with ice & water shield). Hopefully we do not get too much rain between now and the next weekend.
Scaffolding
Scaffolding
Me and my son.  Note the safety line on him.
Me and my son. Note the safety line on him.
My son on top
My son on top

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.