<< . 1 . 2 .
fthurber
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 08:54 - Edited by: fthurber

Here we are inspecting the structure and planning the construction of the loft
inspection.JPG
inspection.JPG

fthurber
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 22:55

Here are two ten foot 4x6 beams I got from my local sawmill for building the loft. The price? $11 each!
Beams from the sawmill
Beams from the sawmill

fthurber
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 12:24 - Edited by: fthurber

Things are going slow but steady. Here are the half-lap joints I am doing for the sleeping loft.
IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG

fpw
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 15:09 - Edited by: fpw

Nice. You might consider cutting a 45 degree taper on the underside of your joists. If you go with 90 degree cutout, often you will get splitting where the tenon meets the bulk of the wood.

How are you going to tie your beams into the frame?

fthurber
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 15:51

Quoting: fpw
Nice. You might consider cutting a 45 degree taper on the underside of your joists. If you go with 90 degree cutout, often you will get splitting where the tenon meets the bulk of the wood.

Wow, interesting idea. I have not seen this before but it sort of makes sense since this will not makeit any weaker. Can you send more information?

I was thinking of a "haunched" half-lap, but that would weaken my 4x6 tie beams (plate/girt thingies).

fthurber
# Posted: 27 Jan 2012 14:23

I have changed my name to "fthurber"; no more squid; this is not a fishing forum after all...

Anyway, my son and I are going to try mounting those mortised beams this weekend. I realize that the half-lapped 4x4 are vulnerable to splitting, but they will not get too much load,... I hope. Maybe I can put a 2x2 oak ledge below them or metal braces (ick).

neb
# Posted: 28 Jan 2012 10:58

Let us know how it went?

fpw
# Posted: 28 Jan 2012 11:08 - Edited by: fpw

Here is a photo of a guy putting a curve on the bottom a joist. You can do the same thing with a 45 degree angle. In this case he is working in place. When done, he just rolls the joist.
firstwithaxe.jpg
firstwithaxe.jpg

fthurber
# Posted: 31 Jan 2012 15:38

Hmmm interesting. What is the theory about why this would prevent splitting? Is it the pressure of the 90 degree cut against the plate / girt?

I should have done haunched half-laps...

fpw
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 20:54

Timbers will check at the 90s. Won't affect strength, but if you cut a curve the check won't start there and it will look better.

Good luck raising your loft. I am interested in seeing how you attach those timbers.

fthurber
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 18:05 - Edited by: fthurber

We finished the loft rafters, hung the door, and got some ship lap siding up this weekend.

We did not taper the lap joints because we are pressed for time...our next project will be a proper timber frame barn.
My wife admires her work on the door
My wife admires her work on the door
My son finished the lap joints for the rafters
My son finished the lap joints for the rafters
My son working on the rafters
My son working on the rafters

fthurber
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 22:10 - Edited by: fthurber

Here is a beautiful knot-light 4x4 I got from my local sawmill. It was 14 feet long and cost $9.90. Let's see a Big Box store top that!
Beautiful 4x4
Beautiful 4x4

fthurber
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 23:13 - Edited by: fthurber

A shot of the cabin in the snow
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG

neb
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 08:54

Very nice and keep us posted.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 09:00

nice build!!!!

fthurber
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 21:17 - Edited by: fthurber

Here we bundled up against the wicked cold building a back door to the cabin and one of my wife's chickens decide to help.
Our chick helper
Our chick helper

oldbuddy
# Posted: 13 Feb 2012 06:31

Your last picture of your son and you remind me of my son (Old Buddy) and I. He isn't very comfortable above about 8'.

I would recommend taking all the photos you can because you'll be going back looking at them over-and-over again. Our cabin project has been a great father and son project, eventhough we have had help from a few others, Old Buddy and I have done the bulk of it. He's pushed me along the way to get things done or we wouldn't be near as far as we are. He's been a great help and only hope he has enjoyed it as much as me. I haven't seen a post from you lately on here. Did the cold weather bring you to a grinding halt? We had to stop last year in November I think. We couldn't get up the hill after that for several months. Now that we have a four-wheeler ATV, getting up there is no problem.

Good luck on your build and don't forget to keep snappin' the photos.

Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 13 Feb 2012 06:34

Disregard my last. I somehow noticed that December was your last post date. Then I saw it was yesterday. I guess you're Pressing on through winter!

Old Old Buddy

fthurber
# Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:01

It was wicked cold last week; I turned into a popiscle doing that door, but it is all cut. My son will clamp it and fasten it together with 1/4 carriage bolts this week. Hopefully we will get it up next weekend and make some serious progress on the siding.

fthurber
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 09:29 - Edited by: fthurber

We got three windows up along with their 4x4 framework.
The north side with a large double-hung and smaller hinged windows
The north side with a large double-hung and smaller hinged windows
Double-hung from the inside
Double-hung from the inside
Fixed east window
Fixed east window
Sap is running
Sap is running

hattie
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 12:46

Quoting: fthurber
Sap is running

I'm SOOOOOO jealous!!! How much do you normally get?
Your place is coming along great!!

fthurber
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 18:14 - Edited by: fthurber

Quoting: hattie
I'm SOOOOOO jealous!!! How much do you normally get?
Your place is coming along great!!

We never get more than a cup or two when it is boiled down. Note: these are swamp maples not sugar maples so we need more boiling.

I worked on the ship-lap siding today; it was so hard to fit it together. Our local sawmill has not done any ship lap in a long time so the stuff that was left was warped and knotty; very difficult to work with

fthurber
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 19:02 - Edited by: fthurber

We have started to do the siding with ship lap pine
Exterior
Exterior
Interior
Interior

fthurber
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 20:50 - Edited by: fthurber

The south side windows are going in
Lower windows
Lower windows
The inside
The inside

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 21:59

Very nice...I love your windows!

Ditchmonkey
# Posted: 12 Apr 2016 20:25

Really cool build. Any updates?

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.