Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My 12x34 lofted barn cabin in Texas
SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 20:21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6-XM163Bw

Rifraf
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 11:40

Nice progress !,

I posted on your youtube video, but ill ask here too. Did you restain your trim on that ? My similar cabin is all musty honey color, would like to stain it like yours. If you did stain it yourself, what brand and color did you use on it.

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 20:24

Just replied back to you on youtube buddy. Sorry it has taken so long but it is reclaimed old barn wood so I just put it up as is.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 20:38

nice place--looks good.

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 20:44 - Edited by: SmallTownKid979

I have posted pictures below. Trying to find my older pictures too.

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 20:50

Thanks Turkeyhunter. Hoping to finish it up soon!

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 20:57 - Edited by: SmallTownKid979

Sorry still trying to figure the forum out.

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 20:59

ok now here are some photos.
Front view.
Front view.
My "Welcome" sign lol
My "Welcome" sign lol
Interior Walls
Interior Walls
Kitchen Area
Kitchen Area

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 21:01

And more photos
Bathroom Interior Wall
Bathroom Interior Wall
The custom built shower
The custom built shower
Bathroom with Cedar light
Bathroom with Cedar light
Ceiling.
Ceiling.

Bevis
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 22:22

got an overall exterior shot ?

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 23:15

Yes sir I do. I left my camera at my sisters in Dallas. So whenever I head back up there I will have the camera to upload the pictures on it lol

customrunner
# Posted: 13 Jan 2012 00:10

Love the welcome sign, and all your iterior finishes look great..

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 00:13

Thanks a lot man!

Rifraf
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 13:02

Hey SmallTownKid,

I was referring to the outside of your cabin, the finish looks .. newer than mine. Did you put an oil stain/sealer on it or something?

If not I guess they just do stain from the factory better out there in Texas ! :) Ill have to do mine myself.

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 17 Jan 2012 17:47

Of Rifraf my bad I thought you were talking about the inside. Well I know the outside is Pine. All I did was clear coat it with semi-gloss polyurethane (The Outdoor Coating). Gave it a little more pop.

Rifraf
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 11:07 - Edited by: Rifraf

Np,

I'm pretty close to starting my insulation and was wondering how you did some of yours, I know you said you did the normal bat stuff, but was this on just the walls? My cabin does not have ridge vents in the ceiling, im assuming yours doesnt either but please tell me if im wrong.

How did you insulate the ceiling then, and what have you done to fight moisture buildup in there?

Also in one of your videos it looked like you went in each joist cavity of your walls and trimmed inside with a small bead of "great stuff" or other canned foam, what was the purpose of that ?

thanks again

Rifraf
# Posted: 2 Feb 2012 11:34

One other thing I was curious about.. how did you insulate in your loft floor that is over the porch.. did you completely remove the plywood flooring up there then install batts, or cut access holes and blow in some cellulose or something like that..

Thanks again

hattie
# Posted: 2 Feb 2012 12:07

Your place looks great!!! I love all the wood inside!

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 26 Mar 2012 09:48

Rifraf I actually did not insulate that side of the loft. I decided that I was just going to use that side for storage. Thanks a lot Hattie!

SmallTownKid979
# Posted: 26 Mar 2012 09:49 - Edited by: SmallTownKid979

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-H8em3sDVI

New video up!

Purplerules
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 22:24

I really like how you are finishing your cabin out. We are also in Texas and just purchased our shell cabin it is 16x28 with a small porch and we look forward to finishing it out.

lana
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 16:20

Love It!!! Would really like to see what you've done to it since. Like to see the kitchen area. Did all Kitchen appliance fit ok in the nook area? My husband and I are going to a cabin with pretty much the same floor plan. I will be posting as we go along.

bukhntr
# Posted: 1 Aug 2015 18:51

I dropped my ceiling to a coffered sort of to allow room for baffles and air space. soffit vents and gables move moisture out.

in the pics the flat was dropped just enough to have the batts below the gable vents. I scabbed 2x4's to the rafters to make the flat section. The angled sides of ceiling are whats left of the original rafters after the drop. Hope that makes sense
original vault
original vault
dropped for air space
dropped for air space
attaching flat rafter
attaching flat rafter
dropped and insulated
dropped and insulated

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.