Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New Cabin started - SW Texas
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
jrbarnard
# Posted: 4 Mar 2012 17:52

Well, not too too exciting for all of you folks, but starting the build of my cabin finally and I have a few pictures of it. We were busy getting it all delivered this weekend, and I had my 4yr old daughter with me, so I did not get a whole lot more than that and some simple tree cutting. Next weekend we finish the trees and start making the base...but, it is "started" as far as I am concerned ;)

Pics:
Before we started cutting
Before we started cutting
The lumber arrives!!!
The lumber arrives!!!
All unloaded (missing a few items plus metal roofing)
All unloaded (missing a few items plus metal roofing)
SOME cutting..
SOME cutting..

naturelover66
# Posted: 4 Mar 2012 21:46

Its very exciting !!! Congrats and I can't wait to see your progress.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Mar 2012 21:54

Hey congratulations...finally time to start huh? You must be thrilled...hold on and enjoy the ride!!!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 13 Mar 2012 14:48

Sorry, rain has kept us away from building.. the whole idea of using a chainsaw in the rain and mud.. you know... ;)

We will have a crew of us out there this weekend and expect to finish clearing and get the frame of the base up and going!

More pics Sunday night!

Russ

VTweekender
# Posted: 13 Mar 2012 16:58

When your lumber comes in on a tractor trailer you know thats a serious cabin!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 13 Mar 2012 17:22

lol.. hope it is all still there! :P

32' x 24' plus a 15' x 32' covered porch. and a 8' x 8' bathroom attached.

Russ

jrbarnard
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 15:06

New update: Started, but did not finish.. go figure.. heh

We had to move the cabin, to make the natives in the PoA happy, but the spot turned out to be better than the one we originally had, but set us back a couple days.

So, here are the photos:

Photo #1 - We started clearing out the "new" spot. Leveling it etc took almost a day and a half... grrr..:

Day 1

Then we started leveling the base:

The Base goes in

Base completed! Ready to cover it!:

Base done!

Working into the night as it is cooler and added the 8x8 bathroom:

Nighttime

Two teams, one on the framing and the other on the deck!

Two Teams

Wall #1 goes up (Like the windows?)

Wall #1

Wall #2 (2 walls get large windows):

Wall #2

4 Walls and a deck.. time to load the wood up as the week is over

4 walls

We had 2 walls done for the bathroom but left them laying down till we anchor it all.

The view from the back window is awesome!

View

GREAT group of folks:

Folks

We have a lot of work:

island kitchen, spiral staircase to the 8x24ft loft, walls, roof, etc.. but we should be able to get it before the end of the summer.

Russ

Nirky
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 16:09

Wow it's the size of a small home. I assume for the occupancy permit they are making you do septic & well/rainwater collection?

jrbarnard
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 16:31

permit?

heh

We are so far in the boonies, the Game Warden did not even know the place was out there...

R

Nirky
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 16:39

Oh that it were so where I am. You are very fortunate. Keep the pictures coming!

Btw some other guy here on this forum lives in SW Texas and has a rainwater collection system, if you go that route, check his out.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 18:09

Yes, we will be doing rainwater collection. I have a 2500 gallon tank that will set next to the house. We will have about 1280 sq ft of roof line to catch water from.

Thanks

Russ

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 18:40

Beautiful view, many helpful friends and a cabin that I'm sure you will enjoy for many years to come-congratulations! Glad it worked out for you to move the cabin------that you like the spot even better. I will enjoy watching and reading about your progress! Hope the weather will stay somewhat cool for you too!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 20:03

We will not be going back out for a few weeks. I am hoping the walls will weather fine. We covered all of the materials that were not suitable to weather, like the OSB, with a large tarp, so they should be okay.

We went a tad bit over budget...heh.. like $1200...so we will pick it up again in May, as soon as we can set up a new 3-day weekend everyone can make it back out on.

Next step, finish the bathroom walls, bring it all together, and get that dang roof on! ;)

I have about 10 weeks before the electricity gets hooked up.

Russ

oldbuddy
# Posted: 28 Apr 2012 19:42

You make me feel bad when I see how fast you all put that mansion together. It looks like you'll be indebted to a few friends for awhile.
Family and friends make all the difference on a project like that. It looks like something you will really have a lot of good times in!

Our cabin is a hunting/grandkids cabin but I absolutely love spending time there. I just kind of forget about everything that is worrisome while I up there.

Good luck with your project! Whenever you see a semi-tractor/trailer bringing in the material, you kind of get the idea that it may be a "large" cabin!

Old Old Buddy

jrbarnard
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 12:12 - Edited by: jrbarnard

Heading back out this weekend (finally!) to shore up water damage and prepare to put the roof on.

We will be out 3 weekends this month to try and dry it in by the end of the money (well....first week of September).

Sorry for the slowness of updates, but it is kinda hard to get/ask folks to come out in 108 degree temps!

Will upload new pics after this weekend!

Also, sorry for the dead links. I updated my photo gallery on the website and it jacked up the database.

Russ

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 12:24

Was wondering how you were making out these days. Glad you will be getting back at it!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 12:29

I moved some photos around and fixed the links.

Yea, we went about 1500 dollars over budget that one month and we had to "recover".. lol. Now we are ready to hit it again.

Add in the heat as well as the recent rain and we could not book a weekend.

So, we have a few minor repairs to do...it's funny how a lot of rain can show you were you need to shore stuff up ;)

So our goal over the next two weekends is to get it shored up well, lagged down, and the loft on as well as the rafters. If we can get the roof entirely on, great.

If not, we will be back out again at the end of the month for a 4-day weekend with the entire crew.

By September, we will have this dried in come hell or high water.

Also this weekend, we are cutting the 3/4 miles worth of easements for the electricity. Once that is done, we are about 4-6 weeks away from having 2 200amp poles placed, one at the old cabin and one at the new.

Add to that we are closing next week on another 103 acres across the road from us. This will make sure that we own all the land at the end of that road, so we can block it off and privatize the road.

Russ

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 17:06

Quoting: jrbarnard
Add to that we are closing next week on another 103 acres across the road from us. This will make sure that we own all the land at the end of that road, so we can block it off and privatize the road.Russ

thats so smart.good for u.we are slowly doing the same.
Quoting: jrbarnard
Well, not too too exciting for all of you folks

its very exciting.thank u for sharing with us all.your experience blends into ours.we may look at your place and listen to your brite spots,ideas and even woes and learn.thanks for taking the time to share with us.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 07:30

An update!

It has been a while, but it is hard to get updates in this heat.. but we got the main beam up and set!

We were able to get 3/4 of the walls up and the main beam and loft up. We pre-cut the rafters (yes, we left room in case one or more are off when we go to hang them).

You never really get a feel for how large this thing is till you are standing inside of it. I really like how the windows turned out (the large ones)

Russ

The front

Working on the rafters

The main beam

The back view

jrbarnard
# Posted: 23 Sep 2012 21:54

Finally.. an update.

I went out this weekend with just me and the wife and kids and dog.. and did not get a whole lot done, but we were able to cut down the posts for the deck and place them. We could not get the rafters up due to a few different reasons, but I will be back out again next weekend (I hope) with 6-8 guys to get the roof on.

Right now, we are just praying for NO rain (we have been praying for rain but it is the fact those prayers keep getting answered that we have been unable to DO anything... heh)

So.. if it rains.. we are going to be delayed yet again...

If it does not rain. we have a day and a half to add rafters that are already cut and get them on.

The beam for the deck is already made, but I could not lift it myself to add it.. ggrr..

Here is a pic of what we have thus far.
Slow progress due to the heat and timing for this stuff.. but we are hoping like mad to have it dried in by the end of October now.

Russ
Deck shot
Deck shot
Helper #1
Helper #1
Toothless helper #2
Toothless helper #2
View from the back window
View from the back window

jrbarnard
# Posted: 23 Sep 2012 21:56

One more photo..
back of the cabin
back of the cabin

jrbarnard
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:02

Sorry for the slow responses, but we have had a hot summer and just got back out to get some work done.

So, we purchased another 103 acres next to us, so now we have both sides of the road that comes into our property. Total: 336 acres. There was a 12x16ft shed on that land, totally untouched, so we moved it to the new cabin we are building to use as a storage shed. We will, eventually, create a small walk-in cooler in the back of it.

We got the roof added, except for the metal.. i.e. we added the rafters and the tar paper. We nailed down some boards to keep it secure till we can get back out there on November 3rd to install the new metal roofing.
We are going out on the weekend prior to that with a different set of folks to do the bathroom and the last 10-ish feet of walls, plus the gables.

We also added a 2550 gallon tank for rainwater collection.

The electrical lines SHOULD be going in in the next week or two.. we hope.

Here are some pics:
IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1553.jpg
IMG_1553.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1556.jpg
IMG_1556.jpg

jrbarnard
# Posted: 5 Nov 2012 08:05 - Edited by: jrbarnard

We got the roof on this weekend. We still have to do the gables and the bathroom roof, but the majority of the roof is done.

We also added a new center support for the roof. I did not want to add it, but we had about a 1/8 inch drop on the roof without the metal on, so I opted to add this and think it also looks pretty darn cool.. heh.

That roof ain't coming down now :p

We finished about 20 minutes before the rain hit us.. heh

We will be back down for the week of Thanksgiving to finish drying it in, i.e. the gables and the bathroom. Then it is cleanup and starting on the inside as well as outside and trim.

We have 3.5" cedar for the external trim as well as 1x10 for the soffet areas. Then we are going to pint it with "Burled Redwood"... which should make the green roof really stand out, I hope.

Russ
The beam/post
The beam/post
The site
The site
close up
close up

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Nov 2012 18:18

I like your center beam...it looks cool!

I can't believe how rocky your soil is...you could sure put all that to good use when you finally have the time... a lot of work though

jrbarnard
# Posted: 7 Nov 2012 07:55

It is not quite as bad as it appears, we turned that soil up a lot when we cleared out all the trees. I was looking at the pictures and thinking the same thing.. heh.

What I planned to do was get some mortar and let the kiddos collect rocks and build a wall or a firepit or something. It does not have to be fancy, but they will get a kick out of just making it themselves ;)

Thanks about the post.. it added a nice touch, I agree ;) We plan to set the stove close to it after we protect it first (pot-bellied stove).

Wait till after Thanksgiving and we have added the kitchen ;)

Russ

cabingal3
# Posted: 7 Nov 2012 08:21

Russ.great land.i am texas born and bred myself.great land and great place u have build there.its so big looking.love the big front porch...your little kids are so cute and lucky to be involved in all of this great experience.nothing like being a kid and getting to play in the wide open spaces.sure enjoyed seeing this post and all your progress...

jrbarnard
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 20:21

Well, got back from a good work weekend at the ranch. Our goal is to finish the cabin by the end of May, we will see if we make that.

One guy hunted this morning and shot an Axis, his first.

Here is the the pic of his Axis:

Here is the new picture of the front of the cabin. There is a LOT less clutter as we use the wood we have and you can see the new trim is up. We still have some more caulking to do before we paint:

Here is the bathroom. We added a small "cover since we had extra roofing metal and the rafters were so long.. heh

Here is one side with the picture of the trim. We used cedar fencing for the trim, 5.5" and 3.5"

We still need to trim the back rafters and add the trim for the gutters:

The new Polaris on it's maiden voyage sure was fun!:

Back in one piece!

Russ

Kudzu
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 11:11

Everything looks GREAT, keep the pics coming.

Skidster
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 16:46

Russ

Your place looks incredible. Did you have a set of drawings for the cabin? I am looking to do a cabin that size minus the covered patio you have. Thanks for the help

jrbarnard
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 17:03

Thanks Skid and Kud. No, I drew it all up myself.. heh. I tend to do my own engineering because I am not experienced enough to understand other people's ;) BUT.. I must admit.. I used a lot of inspiration from the pictures on this site.

R

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.