Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New Cabin started - SW Texas
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
jrbarnard
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 06:50

Well, been a while, but I wanted to show some updates on the cabin.

We have the electrical lines (main ones) run to the cabin and 95% of the panel is run. We still have to hook up the fans and lights and electrical sockets etc, but that is about a day's work.

We also got the inside roof mostly done and one wall.

We are going down this weekend to finish all the insulation and finish painting the exterior.

Then the end of the month we go finish the walls and stain them.

Then the 2nd week of August we plan to head down and do the plumbing and finish the electrical hookups.

More pics later!
IMG_0412.jpg
IMG_0412.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg

Tobit
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 15:16

That ceiling will look real nice once finished.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 06:48

Thanks, we should have all the walls finished and the roof as well by the end of this month, if all goes well. I am heading to Lowes tomorrow to pick a stain....just a light tint will do.

Then, in August, we add all the electrical sockets, fans, flooring, and plumb in the bathroom. I cannot wait

We also decided to make all the bunkbeds, except one. We will have 1 queen bed below the A/C so it does not block it, then 2 more queen beds with a twin above them.

We can easily sleep like 7 people if we had to in the loft, that is 24'x8' and then we will be making another twin-on-twin bunk as well and a flod-away couch.

Gotta pick up a frig and a stove next month off clist!

Russ

Purplerules
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 23:50

That is a beautiful ceiling! Nice to see another cabin builder in Texas. Seems there is a few of use on this forum.
Our place is 1 hour outside of Waco. We are just about to complete our ceiling but we went with the tin. We are really enjoying it work and all. Hey have you had many scorpions this summer? Seems they are out this year.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 02:29

Thanks. Actually, someone made a suggestion and I think I am going to go with it. The center section that is not completed yet, we are going to add currogated tin to it so that it reflects some more of the light. They said it would make a great accent and I think they are right.

We have seen maybe 2 scorpions in the 3 years we have owned the ranch. We have a couple piles of debris from the build and that is where they congregate. I am betting we see more in a couple weeks when we clean all the debris up, but we plan to keep most the stuff off the ground to mitigate it after that.

Post some pics of your place!

Russ

Purplerules
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 23:59

Yeah that is why we went with the metal for the light reflection.
What major city are you near?
cabin ceiling so far
cabin ceiling so far
Back in October
Back in October
Now
Now

jrbarnard
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 06:26

The closest to us is Rocksprings. We are sorta between Del Rio, Uvalde, and Rocksprings, TX.
Yours looks more like...what, Houston?

Russ

Purplerules
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 22:45

1/2 way between Ft Worth & Houston. 1 hour east of Waco.
I have never been out your way and have live all my 50+ years in Texas. Just hard to get to see all of it.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 22:59

Well, give us about a month or two and you'll have to come down and visit!;)

Russ

jrbarnard
# Posted: 15 Jul 2013 12:59 - Edited by: jrbarnard

More cabin pics!

We are heading down on the 26th to finish the walls and stain them, and maybe do some electrical.

This weekend, painting was done and all the insulation:

More pics at the end of the month!
Russ
Before
Before
After
After
View 1
View 1
Kitchen
Kitchen

jrbarnard
# Posted: 15 Jul 2013 13:01

A few more pics:
Bathroom
Bathroom
Side view
Side view
Front View
Front View

jrbarnard
# Posted: 16 Jul 2013 10:38

Here is the stain we are going to use on the walls and the roof:

And here is the flooring:

(ironically called Winchester)

The post we will be leaving natural but with a clear coat.

Russ

jrbarnard
# Posted: 29 Jul 2013 06:14

Okay.. we made progress, just not what I expected.

We got out to the cabin this weekend with the idea we would be doing the rest of the walls, but so much of the electrical work was not completed as planned that we decided it was time to button that up.

Now, as with all things I do.. this was a bigger project than when it started.. heh, so we did not complete all the electrical, but we DID get the cabin to the point we can focus on the walls... i.e. everything we need inside the walls is installed and we can button it up.

We still have electrical work to do, but it is either on the porch or in the bathroom and will take about an hour to wrap up. (the bathroom, not the porch.. that is another 2 hours).

We also ran the cables for the "command center".. i.e. we have 6 electrical outlets placed that will handle the DVR, surround sound, and the wireless router setup for the cameras we plan to ad.

Oh yea, when you have free help, and they have an idea of taking your future internet and giving you a camera setup to watch the cabin via the internet when you cannot be there... yea.. you let them make a 'command center'...

I get a free camera setup, they help build the cabin.. seems like a good trade, right?;)

Not to worry, there will be a 360 degree camera on the 32x15 covered front porch so you too can log into the internet and TALK to us when we are out there.. stay tuned for updates.. lol

And watch animals too...

And yes, there is more than 1 power line incoming to all that mess..

Russ
The Command Center...
The Command Center...
Did someone say dinner?
Did someone say dinner?
This work is soooo hard...
This work is soooo hard...
One....more...rung...
One....more...rung...

jrbarnard
# Posted: 29 Jul 2013 06:15

And a few more pics...
The lights...
The lights...
Kitchen is not done yet....
Kitchen is not done yet....
Loft light and outlet are in...
Loft light and outlet are in...
helpers...you know....helping.
helpers...you know....helping.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 29 Jul 2013 06:18

ok ok.. had to add a few more...
how tall IS that ladder?
how tall IS that ladder?
all work and no play
all work and no play
I keeell yew!
I keeell yew!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 22:17

We got the appliances!

I picked up a nice electric stove today for 90 bucks and a FREE side-by-side for free, plus a small deep freezer chest for free, plus another smaller top/bottom fridge for the other cabin.

Going to haul them all down and set them up this coming weekend.

We will finish all the electrical and then HOPEfully install all the wood for the walls and stain it all before we leave.

Then, we will go down on another 3-day weekend and install the flooring and plumbing!

We are getting close ;)

Pics in a week ;)

Russ

neb
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 23:12

Looks very nice.

Kudzu
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 11:29

Looks great

jrbarnard
# Posted: 11 Aug 2013 21:23

New updates:

We have finished 3 out of 4 walls. Taking longer than expected due to the 100+ heat outside.

We picked up a stove, a small chest freezer, and a side-by-side frig. They are plugged in on the deck till we get the flooring done.

We finished out all the electricity inside the cabin, except for the one frig line we are going to run in conduit under the cabin.

We still have to run the two lines on the deck that will control the ceiling fans and the flood lights. The wires are run, we just need to hook them up.

Then we run electricity to the shed so we can make a walk-in cooler and a light.

We are going back down in a few weeks to finish the last wall, and the bathroom walls, then put in the flooring.

If all goes as planned, we will then go back in the middle of September and start the plumbing, which I know nothing about.. heh..., and should finish that part up 2 weeks after that on a second trip.

If only I knew how to make my own spiral staircase... those things are expensive!

Russ
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG

Purplerules
# Posted: 29 Aug 2013 18:10 - Edited by: Purplerules

It is looking so good.
Thanks for all the pictures.
I still have envy of that large kitchen.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 29 Aug 2013 18:42

Thanks! I am heading out in the morning to work on the cabin.. wait till you see after Monday!;)

Russ

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Aug 2013 18:46

Looking great!!!!!! Big work weekend......yay, for progress

jrbarnard
# Posted: 29 Aug 2013 18:52

yea, we hope to finish the walls, and stain it all.. maaaaaybe get the floors started, but probably just do the walls.

The floors will be the 21st of Sept or sooner if I can get 1 other person out there to help

Russ

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 21:26

that's a huge place.good pics.wow.amazing.always wonderful to put up a cabin and always exciting.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 2 Sep 2013 22:22

Well, back from the ranch today. Heading back out this next weekend. We have one more gable to add siding to then we can stain it all. We stained the kitchen area and the bathroom. We are going to add another coat to the bathroom as we wanted to experiment with a darker shade but I think the rest of the house will be the lighter shade.

We might have stained it all this weekend but rain was coming and we had a crappy sprayer.

So, it is off to Lowes to rent a large sprayer and do it all in a day ;)

Then we get to add the flooring, BAM!

We added the ceiling fans and electrical outlets and flood lights. All the electrical is hooked up now.

No pics off the cameras this trip, I was already fried from helping someone move a deer stand and welding a new hog trap (I'll post pics of the awesome hog trap next week.. forgot to get those too)

BEFORE (Kitchen):

AFTER:

Bathroom needs a 2nd coat of stain on parts of the walls. We wanted to see how it looked after drying. Will all match OR we will add cabinets on the dark corner:

Lots of junk covered.. will look better after the stain ;)

Russ

Purplerules
# Posted: 3 Sep 2013 20:17

Your place is amazing! That wall job is really nice.
And the kitchen....Well you know how I envy that!
Our tiny kitchen
Our tiny kitchen

jrbarnard
# Posted: 3 Sep 2013 21:59

What is a kitchen without a butcherblock table?;)

Purplerules
# Posted: 13 Sep 2013 10:19

When we moved to our new house, there was no place for the butcherblock. the house came with a huge island. So the light bulb went off....and to the cabin it went. Can't get rid of it as hubby gave it to me for a Christmas present.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 15 Sep 2013 18:31 - Edited by: jrbarnard

Welp, we had an issue with Lowes and the stain they sold us... flat out two different colors. It messed up the cabin royally.

Lowes was awesome about it. They were going to give me another 5-gallon bucket for free, but I told them 2 would be enough. I got 2 free gallons of stain and we used 1 so far.

We decided not to "blend" the part above the main floor, but to re-do the roof over the loft as it waqs the most obvious. The rest, we blended the edges as best as we could, but we had other plans and needed to move forward and could have been at that all weekend and still had "irregularities" so we chalked it up as "character" and moved forward.

HOUSTON WE HAVE WATER!

We did not install rainwater collection on the back side of the cabin as we needed the scaffolding moved for that and we had too much to do anyway. We DID install it on the front, which gives us about 32x27 sq ft of collection. If the rain expected for Del Rio hits, we should easily fill up the 2550 gallon tank that is next to the cabin so saving us at LEAST 400-600 bucks of purchasing water.

We expect we should be able to get the back part set up next month.

We also set up a manifold that will also us to hook in another 2550 gallon tank in the future so we do not lose any water/rainfall.

We also got the flooring in! BAM!

That was painful and we will be sore for days.. lol.. but we got ti.

We also found out the floor is not as "even" as we would have hoped.. i.e. you can feel 'bumps' where the flooring is uneven. Nothing we can do about that. If it had been concrete, we could shave it down, but it is what it is. If the flooring comes up over time, we put a screw down in it and we cover it with a rug.. lol. For now, it sure is nice ;)

Pics!
IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_0622.jpg
IMG_0622.jpg
IMG_0612.jpg
IMG_0612.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg

jrbarnard
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 07:10 - Edited by: jrbarnard

I stated I would be at the ranch every weekend.. till it was done, but missed 2 weeks ago due to a flash flood warning that turned out to be bogus.. grr..

Okay, so we went out this weekend and installed a toilet, shower, and sink.

Momma got to install some curtains.. heh She still needs to hem them, but they look and work great!

Moved the stove in and cleaned it up.

We had about 900 gallons of water collected on less than 3" of rain!

We are going out Friday to hook up most of the plumbing etc and to pour a concrete pad for the pump and pressure tank.

Then we will head out the weekend after that for another 3-day weekend to install the pump and other stuff.

THIS week.. the spiral staircase comes in. I hope that turns out half as good as I think it will heh.

I'll pull game cams this next weekend for those curious folks ;)

Russ

Stupid thing does not let you do image links anymore.. go figure.. ok, 4 max then..
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0679.jpg
IMG_0679.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.