Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Cabin Dream
. 1 . 2 . >>
mt mike
# Posted: 13 Nov 2012 23:10

It all started with the memories of my grandfather's cabin, I knew that one day I would have one of my own. After years of searching I finally found a piece of property in south east Idaho that I could afford.
ThunderMountain1.jpg
ThunderMountain1.jpg

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Nov 2012 23:15

Congratulations. I love that area. I spend some time each winter there.

mt mike
# Posted: 13 Nov 2012 23:51

Well i purchased 8 acres on the top of the mountain with a spectacular view. hired an excavator to make road and pad

hattie
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 00:22

Wow, beautiful view. Congratulations!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 19:30

how close are you to Island Park?

neb
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 21:30

Agreat place for a cabin. How many acres do you have?

mt mike
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 00:13

Thank you! It is about two hours from Island Park. We have eight acres and are looking to put a 12x16 cabin up there in the spring

mt mike
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 00:15 - Edited by: mt mike

after bulldozer
exc.jpg
exc.jpg

mt mike
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 00:18

another view from up the mountain
ThunderMountain.jpg
ThunderMountain.jpg

mt mike
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 00:20

I wanted to build my own cabin but found this one allready built on a mobile home chassis
WP_000494.jpg
WP_000494.jpg

mt mike
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 00:28

inside view of cabin on wheels
V__725E.jpg
V__725E.jpg
V__3B66.jpg
V__3B66.jpg
WP_000490.jpg
WP_000490.jpg
WP_000489.jpg
WP_000489.jpg

mt mike
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 00:37

me and my grandson
tmloa.jpg
tmloa.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 10:08

So cool...welcome! Your land (and cabin) are beautiful! Have a great time making memories

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 10:31

Quoting: mt mike
I wanted to build my own cabin but found this one allready built on a mobile home chassis

Mike, those are called "Park Models" and are tax exempt. They are considered RV's or was that one a home built Park Model? Either way, if its on a rolling chassis and has a title, you may be tax exempt. In my state, we have a timber tax or tax exemptions on land,. I almost went that route. If I did, my cabin on my 20 acres would cost me $32 a yr in taxes.

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 12:20

gosh.beautiful land.great cabin and precious photo of u and the little grandson...and cheap taxes to boot.pretty dog gone good.thanks for sharing.

mt mike
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 23:52

we purchased the property and camped with our trailer on it the first year to get a feel of the land(found a flat spot to park trailer on property and spent summer parking trucks on road!) the next year we mapped a spot to have excavated and spent this summer camped in our spot(its real nice to have an actual parking spot and road) next spring we plan on putting up cabin on the property.
camping.jpg
camping.jpg

mt mike
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 23:56

purchased park model cabin as it was good deal compared to building it myself and can remodel inside to better fit my needs.planning on getting a composting toilet like the natures head model, has anyone out there had any experience with them?

mt mike
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 00:11

by the way we have moose, deer,turkey,cougar,hawks,eagles, elk that frequant the property
deer.jpg
deer.jpg
turkey.jpg
turkey.jpg
Photo105.jpg
Photo105.jpg

mt mike
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 00:26

here is the cabin waiting for spring
cabin.jpg
cabin.jpg

mt mike
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 00:31

I need some help on refinishing log siding as the sealer is starting to peel in spots(varnish?) I really do not want to strip entire finish but rather touch up yearly

exsailor
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 12:13

The original owner or Mnaufacturer should tell you what finish was applied to the outsede walls. then it just a matter of patching. The manufacturer may even have maintenance instructions availalble. that is where I would start.

mt mike
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 23:30

I cant find any info on original builder but it has a shiny finish that is starting to peel in places so i am thinking it is just a varnish finish

oldbuddy
# Posted: 22 Nov 2012 13:23

Hi and welcome to the forum. Ours is 12X16 with a bumpout of 8X16 which we use as a bunkroom. Your cabin looks a lot bigger inside than ours. What is the purpose of the wall in front of the kitchen?

What are you heating with or do you plan on using it in the winter? Our woodstove is a real pain learning how to keep it cool enough, only because it isn't a sealed stove and sucks all the air through it. Last week-end we had the cabin up to 117 degrees

I'm looking into a propane stove only to be used for overnight stays..with a thermostat. Anything up to 10,000 BTU's is safe in a sleeping area (unvented).

Goog luck and enjoy your time at the cabin. I love it whenever I'm at ours.....summer or winter.

mt mike
# Posted: 22 Nov 2012 13:35

I plan on taking the wall out and putting in a loft. The wall divides the bed room/greatroom from the bathroom but I will take out wall and bathroom and install composting toilet in space by shower. I have a woodstove/parlor stove but not sure I will need it maybe just a big buddy heater?

Borrego
# Posted: 22 Nov 2012 14:53

Gorgeous place!

neb
# Posted: 22 Nov 2012 19:03

Very nice looking cabin and nice setting!

mt mike
# Posted: 1 Dec 2012 20:01

what kind of heating system will i need to keep the chill off?is a woodstove the way to go or maybe a vented rv propane heater as we are off the grid and will have solar 12 volt power only.

Just
# Posted: 1 Dec 2012 20:20

I gess it depends on the price of wood in your area ,, If it;s free ----- if not?????

mt mike
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 01:19

getting supplies together to rewire for 12 volt solar power inside cabin and start on building the loft

exsailor
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 12:33

Quoting: mt mike
I cant find any info on original builder but it has a shiny finish that is starting to peel in places so i am thinking it is just a varnish finish

It probably is varnish, but maybe shellac. Pick a small spot and lightly sand the surface and paint a little varnish over it. I would check out a woodworking forum to find out how to treat an unknown surface. I figure without seeing it you will have to sand the bare spot and feather back into the good finish. Then paint all of the prepared surfaces, with whatever surface coating you find it is to blend the old and new together again.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.