Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Cabin in the sand, and pine tree
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
countrygirl
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 11:50 - Edited by: countrygirl

In 2011 we were able to by 80 acres 45min for home back on crown land in Manitoba. Half the land is old field, and other half jack pine. In May 2012 we started building our cabin. It's post and beam foundation, with pine beams holding up the loft. We had a friend do the foundation, and frame for us. After the work started.

All spring from may to june we had sandhill cranes that were in our field. We had our first night in the cabin with our kids 4 month later at the end of august. The cabin still need to lots of work, for the inside to be liveable.

August my husband got the solar panels and suff in place. Got the stove in just in time mid of september. We worked ever weekend but but 3 for the start of summer tell now. I'm getting tried off working all weekend but winter is coming, and we need to get things in place. October was time to do siding pine board and batten which I per painted with protective oil. Got of the cabin done but snow came before we could get the last one done. Canadian thanksgiving was the first No Work weekend, and we got 2 feet of snow in 24 hours.

I have learn so much from this form reading all the post, and looking at the pictures on this sight. Here are some picture.
sandhill cranes
sandhill cranes
solar system
solar system
2 feet of snow
2 feet of snow
Cabin after snow storm
Cabin after snow storm

Montanagirl
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 13:55

Beautiful!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 14:03

Be curious to see the interior space/layout.

Also what are you going to use the cabin for? Reading, snowmobile, hunting, etc?

Are you using during the winter? How is solar working in the winter?

countrygirl
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 15:20

When we start this build we wanted to have a place were we could retire, and until then make memories with our teen age kids. We have been campers for 17 years and need to do something new.

We are not hunters, but the whole family (but me) shoots bow. The teens have made a large fort with fox hole for airsoft wars with there friends. What we do there ATV, snowmobile, cross country ski, snow shoe, wildlife watch, jog, play cards, star star gazing and more... we are 45 min from boating and fishing.

We put the cabin in one corner of the field because there have been forest fires the last 2 year and we have to evacuation with our camper one of the times. Solar is the way we when, hydro would cost $50,000 and up. The set up for the solar has had some changed, like a better inverters, and panels. We place cabin facing south to get the best solar heating from the sun in winter. At -25c if the cabin is warm you can let the wood stove burn out if the sun comes in the windows. We have a full size Refrigerator, microwave and more. If the sun is not out we charge the system with our EU3000isC2 Honda generator. 1 hour will recharge the system. In a 5 night stay over Christmas this year we only filled the tank once. We are careful how much power we use, and will be putting in to more panels, at some point.

Heating up the cabin for -20c and colder takes 4 hours before you can be comfortable, 12 hours for the place to feel cosy. We have to parrots so we need it to heat up fast. Up stairs in the loft in good in 20min, so we can up the parrots up there.

We have to bring water in, but hope to get a well in summer. An out house 70 feet away form the cabin and a luggable loo for us girls at night.
floor plan
floor plan
starting
starting
framing
framing
inside
inside

countrygirl
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 15:43

Spent a 2 weekend making 4x4 pine post bunk bed. Seal with varathane and the kids room is done.
bunk beds of 6
bunk beds of 6
working on board and batten
working on board and batten
up in the loft
up in the loft
with my parrot
with my parrot

old buddy
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 23:19

countrygirl
Your cabin is beautiful and huge! Looks like you're ready for the rest of the winter. It appears that you have a fortune in windows but they are stunning. Great build. Enjoy... Old Old Buddy

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 23:23

What is the flooring you used in the loft area?

AYP1909
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 10:26

Quoting: countrygirl
crown land in Manitoba

Being a native of the Oregon country, I am un-familiar with the term "crown land." Would you please provide a definition for us rebels?

project_north
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 11:20

Here is a definition of Crown Land:

The majority of all lands in Canada are held by governments in the name of the monarch and are called Crown Lands. About 89% of Canada's land area (8,886,356 kmĀ²) is Crown Land, which may either be federal (41%) or provincial (48%); the remaining 11% is privately-owned.[2]

AYP1909
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 11:40

Quoting: project_north
The majority of all lands in Canada are held by governments in the name of the monarch

Thank you for the helpful response.
So, when someone says that they "bought" crown lands, did title actually pass to the purchaser or is it more of a leasehold interest?

project_north
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 11:52

That I can't answer. I am familiar with leasehold for 99 yr terms, but you may be able to buy. Will let the author of this topic respond to that.

countrygirl
# Posted: 26 Feb 2013 17:59

We own the land but be hide it there is crown land (government owned land) We go out almost ever weekend.

We have been working on the cabin this winter, but have spent more time cross country skiing, and snow shoeing.
deer coming for snack
deer coming for snack
pet parrot warming up
pet parrot warming up
deer
deer
main room
main room

countrygirl
# Posted: 26 Feb 2013 18:10

Quoting: Sustainusfarm

the floor is 3/4 inch tongue and groove pine.

we put three oil varathane wood stain.
floor
floor

Kudzu
# Posted: 26 Feb 2013 19:58

You have a very nice cabin, I know you will enjoy it.

neb
# Posted: 26 Feb 2013 20:22

Very nice!

hattie
# Posted: 26 Feb 2013 23:44

Beautiful place!!!

countrygirl
# Posted: 28 May 2013 14:36

Been working on the cabin the last couple weekend. So excited that we have finished our outside shower. No more heating up water on the stove or camp cooker. All so found these nice old key hooks at a thrift store.
Shower
Shower
bench
bench
shower
shower
key rack
key rack

countrygirl
# Posted: 28 May 2013 14:47

Been working on a screen room. hope to have it done before the black flies. It's 22"long X 8"wide
side view
side view
front view
front view
putting tongue and groove ceiling in
putting tongue and groove ceiling in

Rossman
# Posted: 28 May 2013 18:54

Real nice countrygirl!

What are those batteries you have there? How many AH is the bank?

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 May 2013 21:52

gosh countrygirl...our whole cabin would fit in your bedroom loft.
those are some homey photos.the snow and the main room.love it all.

countrygirl
# Posted: 28 May 2013 23:30

What are those batteries you have there? How many AH is the bank?

They are L16 6 volt in series to make 12 volt, the batteries are 435 AH each. All together it's bank 2600.

I know my cabins is big to be on a small cabin form, but I learn so much from all off gridded info, and DIY guys on this sight. Just love it.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 29 May 2013 07:54

Your cabin is really nice. I love your screen porch and how open your cabin is. My cabin is off grid too. I have learned a lot on this site and met some really nice people.

My cabin is not small either. It has more sq footage than our city house. One reason for that is the cramped 1950's kitchen I have at home. I have always wanted a big country kitchen. It's not complete. Its getting there. I found the sink i always wanted and the Hoosier cabinet at amazing prices because I've had 25 years of planning and storage space for cabin related stuff. Probably won't be done with the cabin for a long time. That's ok with me I love working on my cabin!

countrygirl
# Posted: 29 May 2013 09:03

this is some of the fun the men and boys had last weekend. They have build an air soft "war zone". While my husband and I work on the cabin the boys are digging trenches, and making forts.
team A
team A
team b
team b
team A fort
team A fort
team B fort
team B fort

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 May 2013 15:38

ha ha ha.that looks so fun.

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 May 2013 15:52

They will have fond memories forever!

Your place is just great! You will spend so much time on your screened in porch. I know I love ours.

Love your shower. We still need to do that. Yours is fantastic-great key hooks too!

grover
# Posted: 13 Jun 2013 08:28

Can you tell me about your trusses? Looks like parallel cord trusses. Do you have to tie your walls together when using them?

jjlrrw
# Posted: 14 Jun 2013 15:00

10 years from now you will remember these as "The good old days" enjoy!!!

We use to bring my son and 11 of his friends to our property to play airsoft, great memories for sure.

neb
# Posted: 14 Jun 2013 23:34

Again very nice looks like a great piece of land!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 06:15

fine cabin and location!!!! like the hunting blind as well!!!!

Arlynn
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 12:28

Oh my, so beautiful! We'll be off grid too. Between solar panels, propane and deep cycle batteries for 12V we hope to eliminate an electric bill. We'll have all the firewood we need free so that's our heat source.

We haven't even finished our plan yet! Beautiful job on the cabin.

Lynn

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.