Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Cabin in the sand, and pine tree
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
countrygirl
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 11:04

Quoting: grover
Can you tell me about your trusses? Looks like parallel cord trusses. Do you have to tie your walls together when using them?

yes they are vaulted parallel chord trusses. All the side wall when up first. They were sheeted, and cross braced to the floor. Then the trusses went up. After they were up and sheeted, we put the beams and loft in.

countrygirl
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 11:05 - Edited by: countrygirl

dog days of summer at the cabin. love it
dog days in the sun
dog days in the sun

countrygirl
# Posted: 8 Aug 2013 14:13

We build a pergolas with 2 swings. It's the new hang out on the deck. Took one hole day to build. Found the swings at menards. Have a little fire pit for the deck at night and can hang a hammock for a nap in the afternoon.

countrygirl
# Posted: 8 Aug 2013 14:15

Sorry the picture when side way, don't know how that happened

countrygirl
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 10:45 - Edited by: countrygirl

The last 2 weekends we have been working hard. We finale finished the siding, as well as put in TG ceiling. The TG pine ceiling was a lot of work. I spent the 2 weeks before putting 2 coats of polyurethane. We also got an old gas stove. What a find that was $120 delivered to our house.
Ceiling 1
Ceiling 1
Ceiling 2
Ceiling 2
Siding done
Siding done
image.jpg
image.jpg

naturelover66
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 11:56

Wow! Looks great!!!!

countrygirl
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 12:02 - Edited by: countrygirl

Its been a hard summer for us. On August 10, this summer while at the cabin our 12 year old daughter was not well. She would not get up in the morning, at 11am when she final got out of bed and got dressed she would not eat, and it look like she was having trouble breathing! She said she felt ok, but my mom senses said something is not right. Got in the car drove 45min to the closed hospital. We didn't even wait in the waiting room when we got there. Her heart rate was 150 beats min. They check her glucose next 37! Off to children's hospital. Even before the we got to children's I know what was wrong. She must have Type 1 Diabetes! Its only been a month now dealing with this life threatening autoimmune disease. She must check glucose 8-15 day, and will have a minimum of 4 insulin injections a day for life. Our world at home has been flipped up side down.

Our Cabin if off grid, and that scares me now. We have no phone line, our cells can stream data, and text, but calls drop out. Have any out there tried phone Signal Booster.

http://www.costco.ca/.product.100007000.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizo ntalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsIn Category

Do they work? and if so which brand?
Our cabin is half a mile for the road and putting a line in will be costly and would take time.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 18:13

Sorry to here that. I hope you find a way.

Owen

naturelover66
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 20:33

OMG...... your poor family.. I hope you have a good Pediatric Endochronologist .

I would have a line of communication or I wouldn't go. I really hope you can find a way to get a phone line in there.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 21:30

Sorry to hear about your daughter having Type 1. Our daughter was diagnosed when she was 9 months old. 2 injections a day and multiple glucose testing 3-4 times a day.
She is now 21 and doing great. The best thing we did was get her an insulin pump when she was about 10 years old.
It makes a world of difference and she has better control. I hope your endocrinologist will provide you with information on insulin pumps. It changed our daughter's life!

countrygirl
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 14:18

Going to put in wind power this weekend. Last weekend we got the Hydro pole in, now ready for the windmill. We pick up Coleman 600W Wind Turbine can't wait to see how it works.

countrygirl
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 10:42 - Edited by: countrygirl

Just spent spring breack at the cabin. There was won really good blizerd that dumped a foot and a have of snow in 12 hours. Made for some good knitting by the wood stove. After the storm left some friend came for a visit and and played outside on the hill we made. The finish of the week we cleaned out the kitchen. Moved counters, sink and pluming. the sink was about 3inch lower then it should have been so wash dishes was hard on the back. Add some Ikea island and cart. What a different, the space will be much better to work in, and look great to. We have been going all winter, but I think the word spring make my husband, spring in to work projects!
Kitchen make over
Kitchen make over
More snow
More snow
Kids playing in the snow spring breack
Kids playing in the snow spring breack
Kitchen make over done
Kitchen make over done

razmichael
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 11:16 - Edited by: razmichael

Quoting: countrygirl
Going to put in wind power this weekend. Last weekend we got the Hydro pole in, now ready for the windmill. We pick up Coleman 600W Wind Turbine can't wait to see how it works.

Hi Countrygirl, I missed this post last fall. How is the turbine working out?

countrygirl
# Posted: 18 Aug 2014 11:44 - Edited by: countrygirl

windmill-still not getting the power out of it we hope for

We been working on a 16X16 guest cabin. going to have a small loft for bed. will have pictures soon!!

Just finished the closet in the loft, of the main cabin.

This is what my 13 daughter has been painting. She is just amazing!
T&G closet in loft
T&G closet in loft

countrygirl
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 16:30 - Edited by: countrygirl

here is what the 16X16 cabin looks like.
board and batten siding will be going on the outside before winter. the stove is in and small solar system.
cabin
cabin
cabin
cabin

countrygirl
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 12:39

work on the small 16X16 cabin is coming along
stove
stove
loft
loft
kitchen
kitchen

countrygirl
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 12:48

In spring this year our boys 16, and 14 told us they wanted to build there own cabin on our land. sod house is there plan. after lots of digging and wood cutting, and help from there friend this is what they have so far. they have a barrel stove placed in the side.
sod house
sod house
see the stove in the wall
see the stove in the wall

06FordFX4
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 13:18

Looks great! Where in Manitoba is this? I'm guessing east of Winnipeg, that's where I wish to build some day.

countrygirl
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 14:59

We are in the sandlands area about 2 hour from the Minnesota border crossings. We have crown land around us, and we just bought the 80 acres next to us. That 160 acres! We are there every weekend, and holidays.

bldginsp
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 15:08

Tell your boys that people in the building trade might take issue with one or two aspects of their construction methods, but MAN I would have loved to have a fort like that myself when I was that age! They actually going to cover it with sod? Send pics during the roofing phase, please.

COOL!!!!!

beachman
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 16:44

I do not think saw any more about a phone booster. But, for what it is worth, we got one from Bell this Spring and it works great. We have gone from no bars to three to five with this thing. Depending on your plan and phone, you can use the phone as a modem for internet on your computer as well. After seeing your place out in the open it seems, I would highly recommend a solar set up.

countrygirl
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 10:35

phone booster was worth it. We can even stream Netflix. We had one bar, and now four.

We have 80 acres of field, and 80 of pine. we build right between pines, and field. it give a great view of wild life form the cabin.

When we look at going with hydro we would have been spending over $40,000 to get it to the cabin. that's when we decided to run a solar system. We are there every weekend summer, and winter (and may move out there someday) My husband has done all the work on it which has saved us lots of money. Don't think its worth putting in a bigger solar system if your not going to use often.

Cost that the question? (all numbers are in Canadian)
Deep Cycle Batteries 8X$425= $3400
Solar Panels250PE Watt SP 6X$250=$1500
Inverters Magnum AE 4000 watt 24 VDC 120/240 both Inverter with 105 amp charger $2000
Charge Controllers $400
Windmill 600W Wind Turbine Coleman $750
LED Bulbs, Energy Meters, Wire etc... $1700
Just under $10,000

going solar has been great. The system work so good we can plug in our compressors and saws and work all day with out starting the generator. We have not needed the generator for a year now! In the 16X16 cabin we have put in a small solar system for lights.
solar set up
solar set up
driveway
driveway

06FordFX4
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 11:24

I'm really enjoying seeing so many people going solar, then more people that do then cheaper not gets!

countrygirl
# Posted: 2 Oct 2014 10:15 - Edited by: countrygirl

on the main cabin we have been working on T&G Log siding. its a lot slower to put in then regular T&G. before the logs go on the wall they already have 2 coats of polyurethane put on them earlier in the week. hoping to get the front wall done this weekend. fall is always construction time for us.
T&G log
T&G log
front wall
front wall

countrygirl
# Posted: 8 Apr 2019 15:56 - Edited by: countrygirl

new venture at the cabin this winter. we have a 2cabin on our property our main cabin, and 16X16 guest cabin that we have just put on Airbnb, in November 2018. Our retirement plan is to rent out small cabins. We have 80acres with our family cabin, then bought the neighbours 80aces about 4year ago, which has a small cabin on it. keep all the rents to the second piece of property. Its been amazing almost every weekend has be book since November , and has been minimal work on my part(about 30min of cleaning after each booking) Most guest we don't even see, they go straight to the cabin. off grid, with good solar system, for lights tv, mini fridge. wood stove for heat and outhouse just outside. I bring in portable water for washing. May see some of the guest walk on our tails or cross-country skiing. I am planning to add a tipi this summer. The plan is to enough money to subsidize day-to-day living. right now with the one rental making $500 month.
tamarack shack
tamarack shack
porch
porch
solar
solar
stove
stove

countrygirl
# Posted: 12 Jul 2019 15:07

add a tipi to our property. 18' 4 - 7 Adults about 24feet tall. excited about sleeping in it this weekend.
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG

countrygirl
# Posted: 17 Sep 2019 15:23

Well it looks like I have some unwanted visitors. I guess I’ll be taking down the birdfeeders Tell the Snow flies. It’s been about six years since we’ve got some raccoons poking around the cabin.

rockies
# Posted: 17 Sep 2019 19:43 - Edited by: rockies

In the main room, would you consider adding a piece of wood to the ceiling above the triangular windows in the gable? It would be the same width at that vertical corner board and maybe 1" thick. It would make it look like you have a timber beam buried in the ceiling.

Depending on your ceiling you might do the same thing elsewhere and it would look like you had an entire timber framed cabin.

RLamoureux
# Posted: 9 Oct 2019 11:47

Thanks for sharing. You are living the dream!
Rick

countrygirl
# Posted: 19 Aug 2020 12:03

New outdoor shower, barrel sauna. For the outdoor shower we put in a standpoint well. Battery solar panel with an RV water pump. Tankless hot water heater is in Eccotemp.
CC84410E76304B8AA.jpeg
CC84410E76304B8AA.jpeg
7756AADD865C46C5B.jpeg
7756AADD865C46C5B.jpeg
79299FF656AB44F0A.jpeg
79299FF656AB44F0A.jpeg
BE78C1A6F6B94C62B.jpeg
BE78C1A6F6B94C62B.jpeg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.