Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12x16 cabin in va
. 1 . 2 . >>
vacabin
# Posted: 28 Mar 2013 08:23

Just got started on a 12x16 cabin project.I work in the waste disposal industry and wanted to build a cabin using as much salvaged and reclaimed materials as possible.so far the only lumber I have purchased for this project are the 4x6 skids the cabin is built on. The floor is 2x8 joist on 16 inch centers covered n 3/4 osb with a layer of 5/8 ply over that.the walls are 2x6 still need to finish framing windows and installing studs above headers.
image.jpg
image.jpg

vacabin
# Posted: 28 Mar 2013 08:29 - Edited by: vacabin

Wall framing
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Mar 2013 08:42

Welcome!
That's great that you are recycling and reusing all you can. Your in the right business for "snatching" all the materials you can We did much of that at our place too.

Keep posting lots of pictures and have lot's of fun building!

old old buddy
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 22:03

Nice cabin! Are you located in Virginia? I have relatives in Chesterfield and my brother-in-law just purchased 40 acres about three years ago in Amelia County but has yet to build on it. He got it for hunting and for building a cabin on and then got sick right after purchasing the property and hasn't been able to do anything since then. It's beautiful country.

How many will be staying at your cabin at one time? We found out that after we moved all our gear in and the kitchen with countertop, that we needed more room. That's when we decided to build our 8X16 room on. With two grandsons and my son and myself.....it's perfect, eventhough they haven't spent a night there yet.

I wish you luck and with 2X6 walls it should be real sturdy...that's for sure.

Old Old Buddy

vacabin
# Posted: 31 Mar 2013 19:11

I'm located in pittsylvania county Virginia .
The cabin will mostly be used by me my wife and our 2 small children.the cabin will have a loft which will add needed space.I installed the 2x10 floor joist for the loft on Friday.the 2x6 and 2x10 are probably overkill but just using what I can salvage.the plan is to complete the 12x16 and add on to it our build another one in the future.

vacabin
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 13:03 - Edited by: vacabin

Here is a pic of recent progress.Got floor joist for loft installed and got ridge board up, hope to have rafters installed by the weekend.Thats one of my friends standing in loft he and my father have been a tremendous help with this project.I was standing on a berm of dirt when i took the picture cellphone wasnt level cabin is though.
cabin progress
cabin progress

vacabin
# Posted: 4 Apr 2013 06:31

Started installing rafters yesterday. This was my first time cutting rafters with a lot of measuring and remeasuring everything fit perfect.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Press
# Posted: 4 Apr 2013 21:23

How did you frame up the loft? Planning something similiar. Thanks.

sparky1
# Posted: 5 Apr 2013 09:01 - Edited by: sparky1

Welcome Vacabin;
great looking job,thanks for the pictures.
i'm not far from you probably-I'm near east of Brookneal---I have some aluminum storm windows, various sizes & some vinyl ones as well. i got from a friend..if you might want some.?
sparky1.

vacabin
# Posted: 5 Apr 2013 09:39

Press for the loft floor joist I sistered 2x6 jack studs to the 2x6 wall studs and nailed the 2x10 floor joist to the 2x6 wall stud with the jack stud underneath.

Press
# Posted: 5 Apr 2013 21:26

Thanks! That helps. I am building in Amherst County so not that far away from you, will post pics when I get started next month.

vacabin
# Posted: 7 Apr 2013 19:53

Got a few more rafters installed this weekend also starting working on a design for the fly rafters
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

vacabin
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 07:33 - Edited by: vacabin

Got the fly rafters installed yesterday
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

vacabin
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 10:44

Did a little yard work trimmed lower limbs on trees in front and field and me and my oldest daughter planted some apple trees.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

vacabin
# Posted: 13 Apr 2013 09:23

Started putting up roof sheathing 7/16 osb I was able to purchase for 7 bucks a sheet.
image.jpg
image.jpg

vacabin
# Posted: 16 Apr 2013 08:20

Finally finished getting all of the roof sheathing installed.This will be my first time installing a metal roof any tips or tricks for installing metal roofing you guys have learned along the way would be greatly appreciated.

vacabin
# Posted: 24 Apr 2013 14:43

Got some of the metal roof installed
cabin_metal.jpg
cabin_metal.jpg

vince
# Posted: 24 Apr 2013 20:12

Very cool! I'm building something like that very soon I hope.

vacabin
# Posted: 27 Apr 2013 09:55 - Edited by: vacabin

Got roof on just need to install ridge and gable trim. Also got a window for gable end.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

ErinsMom
# Posted: 28 Apr 2013 06:46

Looks really great; love the look of the stained glass window.

vacabin
# Posted: 29 Apr 2013 16:59

Thanks for the compliments ErinsMom hoping to get ridge cap installed this week and start working on siding.

vacabin
# Posted: 5 May 2013 14:37 - Edited by: vacabin

Started putting up siding decided to go with lp smart side
image.jpg
image.jpg

vacabin
# Posted: 11 May 2013 01:39

More siding installed
Siding front
Siding front

ErinsMom
# Posted: 11 May 2013 08:50

looking good.

vacabin
# Posted: 20 May 2013 13:52

Had a chance to put sheathing up on gable end.Going to install architectual shingles over sheathing going for a cedar shakes look.
cabin_a.JPG
cabin_a.JPG

Rick004
# Posted: 20 May 2013 16:20

Great lookin cabin !! You seem to have alot of head room in the loft ? Are the ground floor walls 8 feet or 10 ? Do you add a knee wall and what is the roof pitch and how long are the rafters ? Sorry about all the questions but its exactly the size I am looking to build and I want to get as much space in my loft as possible !!

vacabin
# Posted: 22 May 2013 11:00

Rick004 thanks for the comments the walls are 10 feet.The roof is a 12/12 pitch.the loft has plenty of head room.Shoot me your email I will send you a copy of the plans I used.

Rick004
# Posted: 22 May 2013 12:05

Thanks Vacabin !!! It's rickpaquet004@gmail.com .

Rick004
# Posted: 22 May 2013 14:20

Wow !! Great plan !! I would definately go with the 12/12 pitch ! Thanks again Vacabin !!

vacabin
# Posted: 24 May 2013 19:22

Started installing shingles in gable end scored these from lowes for $5 a bundle.
image.jpg
image.jpg

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.