Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Colorado Cabin
theszabos
# Posted: 23 Jun 2013 23:04

I'm new to the forum and have been digging around reading as much as possible. What a great place to research and discuss everything I'm interested.

I'm in the process of building an 18x24 cabin in Northern Colorado on 35 acres. My building site is accessible by ATV, completely off the grid. I've chosen to make the most if our pine beetle epidemic and use materials harvested from the property.

Prior to discovering this forum I started a blog to track my progress, www.szaboscabin.blogspot.com

I look forward to bouncing ideas off you all and learning from your experiences.
Current status of my project.
Current status of my project.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Jun 2013 07:18

Boy it that going to be nice. Do you have your own mill? Oh yeah, welcome.

WY_mark
# Posted: 24 Jun 2013 15:23

Where is your cabin? We landed in WY after discounting Red Feather lakes (too expensive, too many rude people, too small of lots) and livermore(big lots, nothing to do) I would SO love to have some trees like that. Now we're on prairie and right next to national forrest and a lake.

theszabos
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 18:53

Owen - My father was kind enough to lend me (permanently) his mill, so I now have an aging Woodmizer Lt40. Better yet, he delivered it from Michigan.

Mark - I'm actually in the Livermore area. Sorry about your negative experience with the locals, I've had nothing but positive interactions the last eleven years. As for nothing to do, it's right up my alley, solitude and large expanses of forest to play in. Your place sounds great, I do not have a lake in my back yard We'll see how many of those desirable trees I have left when the beetles finally leave. For now they are supplying me with plenty of building material.

hattie
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 21:55

Welcome to the forum theszabos. Looking forward to watching your build progress.

PatrickH
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 22:17

welcome,I really don't like pine beetles, makes me feel like the devil is flying right at me

neb
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 23:19

Looks very nice! How thick is the plank siding?

theszabos
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 01:10

Neb, the walls are squared up logs, 6" thick and 8" tall, joined at the corners with half dove tail joints. I cut my floor (someday will be subfloor) planks a full inch and a half thick.

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 01:21

gosh.thats beautiful.so good and sturdy.love it.thank u for sharing with us.

theszabos
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 00:44

I've made a little progress since my original post. Walls are getting taller and the concrete pads are in place for the porch support posts.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

neb
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 11:30

It's coming along very nice. keep us posted!

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 15:56

very cool place.will love to see your progress.thanks for sharing.

theszabos
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 11:20

Windows roughed in, walls tied together. Next week should see some real progress.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

theszabos
# Posted: 21 Jul 2013 21:46

Little progress this week but it sure was fun having the kids with me for four days. Deck supported, loft structure in place. Soon I'll be working on the roof, I hope.
porch supports
porch supports
start of loft
start of loft

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.