Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northeast Ohio 16 x 24 project with pics and updates
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Apr 2014 20:55

Wow!

Bevis
# Posted: 22 Apr 2014 21:56

Wow...some nice views.

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 25 Apr 2014 11:03 - Edited by: stickbowcrafter

Taking my daughter out turkey hunting in the morning then getting some more work done on the barn. Here's a few more pics I found of the property.

I cut a few roads through the timber last fall to make getting around a little easier.

Picked up a used tow behind brush hog, what a great tool to have. Keeps my paths nice and tidy.

The soybeans my neighbor planted in the fields he leased from me did great. He's planting corn this year. This picture was taken from one of my treestands.

-Brian

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 25 Apr 2014 11:19

I grew up in the suburbs so it's great to experience what it's like to own a farm and what goes into managing the fields and the woods. I am especially thankful that my daughters get to spend a lot of time here growing up and I hope they enjoy this place with their families some day.

Both of my daughters names begin with "A" so I named this place Double A Farm.

We love to hunt whitetail deer and there are plenty here. Wildlife habitat improvement is one of my hobbies as well and we love planting food plots, improving bedding & fawning cover and enjoying pictures of wildlife from our trail cameras.

-Brian

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 17:40

Headed up to the farm to do some work on the building this past weekend but first took my 11 year old daughter out for the PA youth turkey season. We came close the last few years but Saturday my daughter performed like an old pro. Her 20 gauge dropped this big tom in his tracks. I'm so proud of her!

I managed to get the roof plywood on and felt paper. I have to finish building and trimming the gable end overhangs and the side overhangs then I can wrap up the roof with metal.

-Brian

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 17:41

-Brian

w8n4rut
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 20:04

Enjoying your thread Brian-

Congrats to your daughter....that is awesome!

From a fellow stikshooter

old old buddy
# Posted: 2 May 2014 05:41

stickbowcrafter
I'll say you have been busy! Looks like it's coming right along. You're right....you better not have any fear of heights working on that roof

Will you be putting studded walls in later or are you planning something different?

Good talking to you Old Old Buddy

Sarg68
# Posted: 2 May 2014 06:44

Looking good Brian! I hope to get some more time in at my cabin soon as this new clinic gets finished. Its sucking the life out of me and I need the fresh and solitude. Cheers Sarg

duster
# Posted: 2 May 2014 13:37

That's a great looking piece of land.
I was wondering how you mixed the concrete for the piers without a water source? (I'm facing the same challenge - I want to use concrete piers, but I have no well and the lake is at least 150-ft away down a steep slope)

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 2 May 2014 16:02

Thanks everyone. Won't be doing anything fancy as this is storage and a sleeping loft while I build the future cabin. I will probably stud out the loft so I can insulate it to hold some heat in.

Hang in there Sarg. I have been following your thread and can see how stressful that is on you. Nothing better than getting away to the cabin to fix that.

Duster, I picked up two 55 gallon plastic drums from a local car wash I found on Craigslist. I cleaned them out then drilled and added spigots to them. The barrels cost me $20 a piece and a few more dollars for the spigots. I fill them at home then haul them up in my truck or on my trailer. I plan to use both barrels as a rainwater system for the barn.

-Brian

SE Ohio
# Posted: 4 May 2014 18:30

Our local Pepsi bottler lets the barrels go for $5 each, but nor has to be able to pick 'me up during bankers hours. You might give your local bottler a call if you need any more.

Those turkey loads must kick a bit. Kudos to your daughter. Cannot get my 10 year old boy to shoot a .410!

Place is looking great.

Sarg68
# Posted: 4 May 2014 19:05

That's a great price for the barrels! I will go check that out at our distributer. Thanks

Bevis
# Posted: 6 May 2014 21:53

I just picked up 4 barrels from a Farmer/Dairy supply place for $5. They make great dog houses too.

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 8 May 2014 15:57

Didn't get much work done on the barn this past weekend but I did get a new toy that will help with chores.

I even managed to do a little turkey hunting by myself.

-Brian

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 18 May 2014 21:28

Lots of rain and severe storms this past week and it continued on Saturday. Most of the roof paper is gone and tarps were blown off of everything. Said to hell with working in the rain, took advantage of the flooding and went bowfishing.

-Brian

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 May 2014 07:07

Your livin' the dream.

Owen

SE Ohio
# Posted: 19 May 2014 08:07

Bury that carp where you plan to plant something. Great fertilizer!

Sorry about your roofing setback.

My wet rainy weekend was spent camping with our Cub Scout pack. They did catch a few fish when the sun occasionally popped out! Nothing quite as big, though.

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 28 May 2014 22:27

It's been a slow month for building but I managed to get all the overhangs done and started on the metal roof this past weekend. Scaffolding is a beautiful thing!

The weather was absolutely beautiful all Memorial Day weekend.

-Brian

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 28 May 2014 22:32 - Edited by: stickbowcrafter

I have a lot of experience with shingles but this is my first metal roof. I've got a pretty good understanding of it now and I should be able to finish up this weekend.

-Brian

old old buddy
# Posted: 3 Jun 2014 07:26

stickbowcrafter
Lookin good Brian! I hope you got your roof completed this past week-end. I still remember living under a tarp for quite awhile waiting to get the roof done. After it's done and no more worrying about everything getting soaked inside, is quite a stress reliever.

Keep the photos coming

Old Old Buddy

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 3 Jun 2014 23:08

Thanks OOB. Making progress but still slow. I was on my own this past weekend but managed to get some things accomplished. Was nice to see that the mud season seems to be coming to an end. Sure makes things easier when I can drive right up to the building. Hopefully I will get the driveway completely done this year and I won't have to deal with that anymore. I'm liking the looks of the metal roof.

-Brian

Sarg68
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 06:33

Brian,
Looks great! Your right the metal roof looks really good, you did a nice job on it. Sometimes the trips by yourself are the ones you get the most done. I should be able to start my weekly trips back up again starting this Friday. I lost a whole spring of cool weather chasing contractors so, now I will have to sweat some of this winter weight off over the summer. I'll try to remember to take some pictures to post. Cheers Sarg

Smawgunner
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 21:10

Nice work Brian. Curios, how long is that trailer? Looks like an 8 foot? Does your ranger fit on that?

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 07:55

Thanks Sarg & Smaw. Headed back up today to do some more work.

The trailer is a 6x10 but I believe it's actually 6.5x10.5. Ranger and tractor just fit. Had to put the tractor bucket on tongue when I picked it up.

-Brian

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 13:41

THE ROOF IS FINISHED!!!!

-Brian

razmichael
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 14:52

Nice Job Brian! Great feeling when the roof finally gets on. Makes you hope for some rain!

Bevis
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 17:55

Nice job on the roof. It's always nice when you are not having to deal with the mud everytime you go to the cabin.

Sarg68
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 20:03

Brian,
I'll bet that's a real weight of your shoulders! Looks really good. Have you decided on the what your going to use on the floor yet?
Talk to you in a week after Tom and I get back from Boy Scout Summer Camp. Take it easy Sarg

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 15 Jun 2014 08:54

Thanks everyone. Definitely nice to make progress on major phases like the roof. I'm leaving for family vacation next week so I am hoping to close up the loft gable ends and frame out doors and windows this week before I leave. Another step closer to getting dried in.

-Brian

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.