Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Southeast Kansas cabin
. 1 . 2 . >>
bukhntr
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 12:19 - Edited by: bukhntr

Hi all. Our story.... we purchased our land in spring of 2010 with plans to build a small cabin and create a pond into the creek. Then we saved saved saved put the pond in summer 2011. Save save save again to start the cabin. I really had planned to build the cabin from the ground up to save money and just to know I did, We live a couple of hours away and with kids activities and work, with my wifes encouraging we began to look at having the shell/shed built for us so it would be dried in and we could store material and work/enjoy as we had time. I found online a company about an hour farther away from our land that built a great solid building like a house and they were accomodating on anything I wanted extra from a standard building. We had the cabin shell delivered in October 2012. We have been chipping away since. I organized the pics we have taken since the beginning this week and thought I would share a timeline of photos. I really like to see everyones projects. Our next plans include adding an outdoor shower screening in the porch , one day making it full length and adding a dock next spring.
lots of dirt to be moved
lots of dirt to be moved
starting the pond
starting the pond
in the pond looking at my dad on the dam hes in the upper left corner sitting
in the pond looking at my dad on the dam hes in the upper left corner sitting
future fish habitat
future fish habitat

bukhntr
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 12:24

more pics
cabin arrives
cabin arrives
026_2.JPG
026_2.JPG
035.JPG
035.JPG
what it looked like in the beginning
what it looked like in the beginning

bukhntr
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 12:29

more pics
dropping the ceiling for a vented attic
dropping the ceiling for a vented attic
sheetrock and insulation
sheetrock and insulation
032.JPG
032.JPG

bukhntr
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 12:32

more pics
t and g ceiling
t and g ceiling
t and g ceiling
t and g ceiling
stained and added lights
stained and added lights
081_2.JPG
081_2.JPG

bukhntr
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 12:34 - Edited by: bukhntr

more pics This is where we are today, I like the ongoing posts some of of you have and will keep adding to this one. Thanks to all for sharing
058.JPG
058.JPG
059.JPG
059.JPG
060.JPG
060.JPG
061.JPG
061.JPG

Just
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 12:44

congrats on the pond and cabin, open water near a cabin makes a great combo. the water will attract all sorts of wild life . I think it was one of the best things we included in our build .
pond
pond

bukhntr
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 18:27

The second year we attracted a beaver, not a good guest to have around. we were concerned about him digging into the new dam, fortunatly it moved down into the creek bottom, but killed about a dozen trees along his path. It does bring a lot to see though. I enjoy watching the waterfowl come back in during the evenings
048.JPG
048.JPG
049.JPG
049.JPG

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 15 Jun 2014 08:57 - Edited by: stickbowcrafter

Very nice!

-Brian

neb
# Posted: 15 Jun 2014 09:17

Nice! I like it a lot.

Nirky
# Posted: 15 Jun 2014 15:09 - Edited by: Nirky

With the water so close by, don't forget the bug zapper(s)!

http://www.amazon.com/Flowtron-BK-40D-Electronic-Insect-Coverage/dp/B00004R9VW/

bukhntr
# Posted: 26 Jun 2014 22:20

finally getting a chance to get to the cabin in the am for some much needed mowing I'm sure. lots of rain and i have not been there for 5 weeks. How often does everyone mow, I try every 3wks in the spring. When the dry heat sets in I get away with more. This trip I am most excited about taking my dad and to be getting rid of our double air mattress. I completed the barnwood bed my wife wanted, can't wait to see it in the cabin especially at bed time.
unfinished head and foot board
unfinished head and foot board
finished head and foot board
finished head and foot board

bukhntr
# Posted: 26 Jun 2014 23:51 - Edited by: bukhntr

a birds eye view of the place, at purchase in spring 2010 and now. Our cabin is in upper left corner above the pond
spring 2010
spring 2010
winter 2014
winter 2014

bukhntr
# Posted: 27 Jun 2014 20:01 - Edited by: bukhntr

Got to the cabin to mow today. Our favorite cafe along the way closed, everything was made from scratch including their breakfast sausage It felt like losing a family member. Ive ate there for 25 years. We stopped to eat in the next town sure wasn't the same. It has been a routine to stop on about every trip. Great food and always busy looks like taxes got behind and it was siezed. Fishing keeps getting better. Our bass are really growing, sorry bluegill. They have been in just one year. They were 2-3" when we stocked. Got the full bed in to replace the air bed. Now we can look for a dresser to fit between, that should make my wife happy not having everyones duffle bag laying around
5 weeks worth of kansas grass
5 weeks worth of kansas grass
full size bed thank goodnes
full size bed thank goodnes
cool fathers day surprise
cool fathers day surprise
1 yr old bass caught by family friend
1 yr old bass caught by family friend

bukhntr
# Posted: 27 Jun 2014 20:08 - Edited by: bukhntr

saw this idea for a camp fire grill, has adjustable pin to raise and lower above the coals and spins 360 degrees. I'm putting it on my list along with a spit to roast meat. Has anyone built one?
camp fire grill
camp fire grill

Shadyacres
# Posted: 27 Jun 2014 20:35

Really enjoy your pictures bukhntr , I like you enjoy looking at everyone's pictures and the progression as the cabins get finished although I don't think we ever finish them.

Purplerules
# Posted: 30 Jun 2014 00:13 - Edited by: Purplerules

I really have enjoyed seeing your cabin progression. It really looks nice and cozy. We try to go to ours every two weeks to mow. It does not always happen. It has been about 4 weeks, so I am sure the grass is tall.
I really like your full headboard, good job. You will enjoy much more than the air mattress.
Keep telling us your cabin story as you go.

bukhntr
# Posted: 11 Jul 2014 18:13 - Edited by: bukhntr

Thought I'd share some vintage pics of my Grandparents on my moms side along with some other family at their family cabin in eastern Alabama where she grew up. Not sure the year, but would have to be early 50's. All but the little boy are long past so these are a treasure to have . They sold the cabin long before I was born, but hearing my mom talk of all the memories, I guess planted my desire to have a place of my own to make those memories for my family. Other than just wanting one, what planted the seed for any of you to build?
my granny mamma on left her sister-inlaw on right moms aunt
my granny mamma on left her sister-inlaw on right moms aunt
My papa on left and his brother on right
My papa on left and his brother on right
Moms uncle
Moms uncle
moms cousin
moms cousin

bukhntr
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 23:03 - Edited by: bukhntr

Made it to the cabin this weekend to mow again. My father in-law brought his tractor a few weeks ago and fixed my mud hole. Happy to see it go. We have had trouble with it for a couple of years. When we purchased the land we were in a hard drought for a few years which turned out to be a blessing. We would have never got the cabin to the spot we wanted. The trailer would have sank axle deep for sure. A few months after having our cabin shell delivered the rains returned and with the pond now full the water table caused another spring higher up on the hillside that drained through the low spot. I had the rock delivered back in early spring but the dump truck sunk to the gas tank when it approached the drainage. Had to put it on hold til hotter drier summer weather. Put a fork in its done now!!!!
mud hole, much worse than it looks. Complete saturation in wet weather
mud hole, much worse than it looks. Complete saturation in wet weather
bad day for dump truck driver
bad day for dump truck driver
bad day for me, ruts to fix
bad day for me, ruts to fix
pipe installed with a ditch cut on up side to move water to culvert
pipe installed with a ditch cut on up side to move water to culvert

bukhntr
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 23:27 - Edited by: bukhntr

We added a cooking grate to the fire pit and with the help of my youngest son got the bunk bed stained along with the window and door jambs. Now the delima, start getting the place ready for deer season or get to staining the trim for the baseboard,doors and windows. Blew a front tire on the way home in the middle of no where. Photo courtesy of my dad the flagman since we were just over a hill, and could not pull completly off the hiway. I thought is was bad changing the tire in the sun and 100 degree heat then I realized it could be raining or even a 100 degrees cooler and snowing, then I was thankful.
stained bunks
stained bunks
where my mind begins to wander in late summer
where my mind begins to wander in late summer
IMG_4579.gif
IMG_4579.gif
IMG_0225.gif
IMG_0225.gif

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 17:55 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

the cooking grate will come in handy during deer season while enjoying those cool nights..nice buck...get the place ready for DEER SEASON....all the other stuff can wait...at least that's how I do it..lol

and btw~~luved those vintage pics of your folks!!!

neb
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 21:06

Nice pictures.

cnckid
# Posted: 30 Jul 2014 08:41

bukhntr
Have to ask your location in SEK. Our spot is on Shoal Creek in Cherokee county, south of Galena. Thought it was neat while searching for info that I found another SEK project.

bukhntr
# Posted: 30 Jul 2014 23:45

about 20 miles from Independance South of Longton and west of Elk City to be more exact. I'm glad to find another Jayhawker as well. Have you started your cabin yet? Keep me posted

bukhntr
# Posted: 21 Sep 2014 23:23 - Edited by: bukhntr

got to the cabin this weekend but not for our original intent. Should have been black powder hunting opening weekend but summer arrived in full force this weekend. Switched gears and ran the gas line and installed the tank and heater, built and stoned the hearth and ran out of time for the back wall but have it laid out and marked, probly won't complete till spring cause I have a lazy side that does not want to remove the heater and do pressure test again now that it is hooked up. This was a project later this fall so now it is out of the way, if only fall will return I can get to chasing deer. Found evidence of another beaver moving into the pond, cut down a couple of my small oaks in my yard. Hopefully I can get some traps set next weekend (we are allowed to trap nuisance beaver year around) Maybe he won't get as many trees as the one we had a couple of years ago... See pics above
heater on stone hearth
heater on stone hearth

bukhntr
# Posted: 23 Nov 2014 17:26

Just got back from a great weekend at our place had a friend and his son along for an archery hunt. One of the reasons for the cabin is sharing the experience with friends and family. I was fortunate to tag on the second day. Not much better than deer hunting and watching brats cook over an open fire. Happy Thanksgiving to all
IMAG0254.jpg
IMAG0254.jpg
Photo441.jpg
Photo441.jpg

NhLiving
# Posted: 23 Nov 2014 20:01

Sounds like you had a good weekend, and you got a deer! I agree with you about sharing the experience with friends and family, that's a big part of my project as well. Also looking forward to seeing the finished stone hearth you started, looks good so far.

bukhntr
# Posted: 13 Apr 2015 23:01 - Edited by: bukhntr

Made it down Saturday to finish the trim. I'm sure with cabin passion you are never done but for now I say we are finally done or at least are oh so close it feels that way. It has been a fun adventure, great times with friends and family helping and enjoying. Going slow gave us a chance to pick up some bargains and think careful about what we wanted. Not too many regrets. Wish I would have wired in an outside light and far too late in the build process thought of great idea for space saving by building a dead end interior wall of our bathroom out of 2x8 studs to create a broom closet in the stud cavity only giving up 4" of floor space. Maybe one of you guys can make that one come to life. The last of the punch list to paint the bathroom door and interior side of entry door whenever my interior designer (wife) settles on a color. I also need to install the faux stone behind the heater. All of that can be done in one weekend with no power tools I look forward to relaxing at the cabin more now. Since the beginning each trip was to bring in more material and keep chipping away. In the future I would like to build an outdoor shower and add a floating dock to our pond, thankfully those can both be built at home and re-assembled on site. If you have pics of those please share.
installing 1/4" quarter round to cover gap between sheetrock and T & G ceiling
installing 1/4" quarter round to cover gap between sheetrock and T & G ceiling
We used the same thin T&G for base and casing by ripping the tongue and groove off
We used the same thin T&G for base and casing by ripping the tongue and groove off
AHHHHHH the last cut
AHHHHHH the last cut
AHHHHH the last nail
AHHHHH the last nail

bukhntr
# Posted: 13 Apr 2015 23:24 - Edited by: bukhntr

More.....
finished interior
finished interior
a little clean up from last weeks storm with 80 mph winds and softball size hail
a little clean up from last weeks storm with 80 mph winds and softball size hail
DSC05655.JPG
DSC05655.JPG
spring time means range burning in Kansas
spring time means range burning in Kansas

bukhntr
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 20:47 - Edited by: bukhntr

made it to the cabin to mow and a little fun fishing with my dad and a couple of friends. I finished the last work on the cabin today grouting the stone on the heat shield behind the heater. Had to do it in a couple of trips instead of the one weekend trip I had thought it would be. Sometimes murphys law rules the cabin projects. Though we still have a few improvements to do to the property we are done with our build. We spent just a few months shy of 3yrs working on it while using and enjoying the property.

It was a great day fishing. Our fish are growing well. My friend who has been a great help now holds the pond record at 2.5 lb and 18 inches long. Its crazy to think that was the size of a rapala lure just 2 years ago
Photo563.jpg
Photo563.jpg
Photo565.jpg
Photo565.jpg
Photo566.jpg
Photo566.jpg
PART_1437257378203.j.jpg
PART_1437257378203.j.jpg

Just
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 21:16

nice fish ==== lunch

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.