Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Southeast Kansas cabin
<< . 1 . 2 .
turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 21:51 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

like the stone work and bass!!! your pond is doing great!!!

your camp looks real nice...as well!!!

my catfish I put in my pond in Oct...( 5' to 7' fingerling" ) are over a pound to pound & 1/4 now!!! ...amazing how they grow so quick!!!

I am ready for FALL/cooler weather and DEER SEASON!!!

bukhntr
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 09:30 - Edited by: bukhntr

since finishing the cabin we got a start on the dock that we will complete next spring. Doesn't look like it but that's 1200lb of concrete in the ground for the dock footing. Off grid means rubber arms after digging the 4'x2' deep hole in rocky soil and mixing cement. We have also extended our fire break another 10' or so around the cabin. I forgot how much work it was clearing the original site years ago. and next, DEER SEASON COMING !!!!! stands are set ready for my favorite time of the year at the cabin with family and friends. We even had a bachelor party a couple of weeks ago check out the pic
hauling out the last of rock and dirt
hauling out the last of rock and dirt
cured with 12" galv foundation bolts
cured with 12" galv foundation bolts
bachelor party
bachelor party
13pts of sleepness nights at the cabin this fall
13pts of sleepness nights at the cabin this fall

BryanL
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 13:02

Wow, I love seeing your pictures. Was your pond man made? I have 29 acres with some of it lowland and swampy. Would love the idea of putting in a pond. Not sure how hard or expensive it would be. How deep and wide is your pond?

bukhntr
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 16:55 - Edited by: bukhntr

we hired the pond dug in 2011. It took them about a week. The cost was $6k for the excavating and around $800 for the spillway pipe. Our pond lies in a draw below the cabin with a creek flowing into it. It is approx. 85yds across the dam and about the same distance up stream forming an irregular triangle with the elevation of the hillsides on each side. It is about 12-15' in the middle. It makes about 3/4 acre of water and is an investment that you will not regret. You get about $1.50 increase in property for each $1 you spend on water to your land. Every one wants it plus its just fun having your own fishing/swimming hole
DSC05624.JPG
DSC05624.JPG
1441211_573859630115.jpg
1441211_573859630115.jpg
560853_553229852355_.jpg
560853_553229852355_.jpg

bukhntr
# Posted: 13 Dec 2015 22:38 - Edited by: bukhntr

not the typical project on here but a big one for me, to see my wife get her first deer. We've had several close calls this season but something always happened until Sat. Proud of her patience and determination.
Wifes first deer
Wifes first deer

bukhntr
# Posted: 3 May 2016 21:05 - Edited by: bukhntr

I'm battling a beaver again, 3rd time in 5yrs. He's in my head. Now I know how Bill Murray felt in Caddy shack with the gophers. This one is a dam building machine. He has plugged my overflow pipe twice and tries to stop my overflow around the dam. I hauled two heaping garden carts of debris from the spillway Sunday. I have to make the 4hr round trip once a week to make sure the pond is open. We have had about 7" of rain in the last two weeks so he is keeping the pond at capacity.Any one have tips on what they do? I will be setting some traps and keeping a gun close by this weekend, we can take nuisance beavers anytime of the year. Here is this last weekends clean up and plan to keep the water flowing.
half of the debris from the spillway
half of the debris from the spillway
beaver screen
beaver screen

bukhntr
# Posted: 24 Feb 2017 18:10 - Edited by: bukhntr

We were not able to get away to the cabin much last year, in fact had not been there since labor day. With the warm winter we have had, the fishing bug caught us. 75 degrees on Feb 19 gave my 7 yr old the new pond record of 4.6 lb large mouth. Caught on a vintage snoopy pole (my wifes dad saved hers from her childhood) they claim has magic. Can't deny.
IMG_2534.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg
IMG_2535.jpg
IMG_2535.jpg

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.