Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Pole barn cabin in Eastern OH
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
R9R Photography
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 21:17

Finally got moving on the cabin! Thought I'd share my own since I've enjoyed so many of y'alls!

We bought the land this summer, been working on fighting weeds/brush/poison ivy/mother nature in general

Plan is a 12x16 pole-barn style cabin. Site isn't level, and I had torn down a pole barn close by that someone didn't want, in exchange for the wood, so it seemed to fit. The site is about 1/2 way back on the property, up hill, with what I think is quite the view.

Done list so far:
*Cleared enough of one field to use for a campsite, complete with recycled pallet wood rack.
*Clear a path across the creek and across the other field, through the treeline (ugh) and 1/2 way up the hill
*Clear ~36x36' square area for cabin, porch, fire ring, etc
*Hand carry (yep) 10 - 4x4 posts across all that and up to the site. They're roughly 8-10' tall.
*Construct a more suitable bridge for all this activity
*Dig first hole for said posts ~48" deep (I got close) thus (hopefully) preventing frost heave issues later on
*Collapse in a pile of sweat and dirt and wait for help

OK not really the last one, but I felt like it several times. I'll attach pictures (assuming it works for me) that are named for what they are. Getting late, gotta get to bed. Hoping to have it up by winter.
Wood rack, recycled pallets
Wood rack, recycled pallets
Cleared campsite (view from the road)
Cleared campsite (view from the road)
Overview of property
Overview of property
Recycled pallet bridge
Recycled pallet bridge

R9R Photography
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 21:19

Views from the cabin site
View NW from cabin site
View NW from cabin site
View SW from cabin site
View SW from cabin site
View NW from cabin site after clearing site
View NW from cabin site after clearing site
View SW from cabin site after clearing site
View SW from cabin site after clearing site

R9R Photography
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 21:23

A few more pics...first pole just went in the ground this past weekend! Amazing how that one small achievement makes you feel so much better. Emotionally. Physically I'm so sore I can hardly move. But that's ok, all's fair in love & cabin building!

Also owe my wife a huge thank you for putting up with my random rants and raves and the general blue cloud that tends to follow me out there sometimes.
Poles at the cabin site
Poles at the cabin site
First hole dug
First hole dug
First pole in the ground
First pole in the ground

R9R Photography
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 20:47

Update from this past weekend: Got the front wall corner posts in the ground...and the first fire up the hill
Best part of the evening
Best part of the evening

R9R Photography
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 18:04

Update: no work to update Pesky things like housework and life tend to get in the way.

To remedy #4 on the list above, we are now the proud owners of a new-to-us Suzuki King Quad 400. 4WD with Lo & diff lock. No carrying crap up the hill this winter! Plus narrow enough it'll fit over my bridge, I just have to put runners on the edges for the tires

Hoping to go up this weekend and at least get the front wall to the level of completeness of the back wall. Assess if we have enough posts of the needed length to do the side walls. If so, set them. If not, floor joists and buy them for next time.

I deconstructed a pole barn about 20 miles away from the cabin site for somebody, in exchange for the wood. So far I have had to buy a box of nails. I'll have to buy the plywood for the floor, and planning on a metal roof. Other than that, trying to keep expenses to about $0. Unrealistic goal? Maybe. But it'll be nice to have minimal $$ investment. And will be nice for the kids to be able to say my Dad built that by hand. Literally. Very, very literally.

creeky
# Posted: 23 Oct 2014 17:50

looks good so far. just remember. the floor is the hardest part and everything gets easier as you go along.

and, in my case, sometimes it ain't working if you ain't swea(er)'n. wrote an essay once on how cussin' was an indication of advanced intelligence. it bein' a reset mechanism you see.

R9R Photography
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 11:11

Creeky - thanks! I've been lurking long enough to see some of your threads and appreciate the encouragement

This past weekend I got the posts set for the front wall. Only 4 more to go. This weekend hope to start on either the remaining 4 posts or floor joists, depending on if I have re-usable posts the length I need. We had a minor disagreement with the quad, it quit on us for a bit and Brian got a tad frustrated lol

R9R Photography
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 11:14

Here's a thought, lets try uploading some pics...
Brian fixing the quad :)
Brian fixing the quad :)
Wall posts
Wall posts
View uphill to site from our creek
View uphill to site from our creek

VC_fan
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 16:21

It looks like you're making progress! Whereabouts in eastern Ohio?

R9R Photography
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 21:09

VC - Coshocton Co. It's really quite nice; far enough away for that getting away feeling, but close enough to make a day work trip.

R9R Photography
# Posted: 6 Nov 2014 18:59

Latest progress -- got all but the outer floor joists in (didn't have the posts in my inventory lol). This weekend plan: set 4 remaining posts. Take a lot of ibuprofen. A lot.
Flag flyin' :)
Flag flyin' :)

jrbarnard
# Posted: 7 Nov 2014 07:02

Keep the pictures coming. Walmart has Walbupropen.. really cheap.

I know this...

lol

R

creeky
# Posted: 7 Nov 2014 11:22

any bupropen is your friend.

flag flyin'. progress. looks great.

btw. your son looks like he'll be a great engineer. i recognize that look.

neb
# Posted: 7 Nov 2014 13:25 - Edited by: neb

Looks good. I just built a shed/shop and did the pole barn thing. It would be easy to install joists like you do in your cabin build. I built one kind of like this 20 years ago and poles are still sound as the day I put them in. I had them bore tests and know rot. Are you direct burial on your posts??
Here is a couple pictures of my construction. Keep us posted.

The only reason I didn't use full length poles is I had to pack all supplies by hand or sled material to building site. I knew an old time that had a very nice cabin and it was started as a pole burn construction.

R9R Photography
# Posted: 11 Nov 2014 19:38

Many manhours and ibuprofen tablets later...progress from this past weekend:

*All cabin posts/poles are set (hal-e-freakin-loo-ya!)
*Floor is 100% framed, ready for decking
*Started on the cross boards that the sheathing will nail to. Whatever they're called. Ya know, the things...
Progress end of Saturday, looking kinda up the hill
Progress end of Saturday, looking kinda up the hill
Floor framed
Floor framed

R9R Photography
# Posted: 11 Nov 2014 19:45

jrbarnard
Mom has a Sam's membership, so we get the industrial bulk OMG sizes. Wonderful

creeky
Yes. Ended up being a loose wire on a fuse box. But I'd hate to tell him that and ruin it...

neb
Looks good. Them be some serious posts! Phone poles? Tell me you at least used an auger to dig those puppies in?? I hurt just looking at them lol.

Overall turning into quite the adventure. Pricing out metal roof now, as well as some bridge improvements (my trailer is ~5' wide, bridge is less than 4). Need the trailer to get trusses up there easily...or at least easier...dunno, still noodling

Can't wait until it's sit inside with a coffee time. Geez

VC_fan
# Posted: 12 Nov 2014 19:06

Looks like progress! What I learned about metal roofing... When I had it quoted at Home Depot the markup was exactly 100% over their cost. And on their web site, Home Depot was the only supplier the manufacturer identified in my area. I called the manufacturer and told them HD had ticked me off and I would not buy it from them. They then gave me the name of another local supplier (not a big box) and the cost was 30-40% less. So it will pay you to shop around a bit. Good luck with the build!

R9R Photography
# Posted: 13 Nov 2014 18:56

VC_fan
Yeah Menards is doing their 11% thing right now but I'd still have to shell out a good amount before the rebate. Plus 2-3 week lead time. There's a place on the way to the cabin from home that says they can get it cut in under a week, and it's about 25% less than Menards in the first place. Keep meaning to call them but life and all lol.

Just made a deal on a window on CL for $50, nice arch at the top, will be nice. It'll go on the SW side of the cabin with a view of some of our property and the hill across the road. Should be nice in fall. Also got a sweet hook up from my Father-In-Law on some *free* additional windows, and a door. Score!

R9R Photography
# Posted: 16 Nov 2014 19:46

Good evening fellow cabin-ers (yeah, best I could come up with after this weekend :think

This weekend's progress: Got 3 of 4 walls framed. 1 big opening for a nice arch top window I picked up on CL.

4th wall just need to frame window then the nailer strips. Then top nailers (?) that the trusses will sit on. Actually feeling fairly accomplished

Time for beer, ibuprofen, and bed. In that order.

But we're out of beer. Crap
View from said arched window
View from said arched window

R9R Photography
# Posted: 23 Nov 2014 18:08

Progress update:

Wall framing complete! Good thing too cause I had about a nail left in my box lol.

Plywood floor next. Don't feel great about trying to set trusses & roofing with just the joists. That's a bad accident waiting to happen. Don't need a lost time accident on the job, geez...

First snow we've had out there for the weekend, made walking around the cabin kind of interesting lol.

Also aquired a LP fireplace for heating/ambiance - I heart CraigsList. Kind of talked through with my wife where the bed's going, and maybe the fireplace then. It's nice to be able to walk around and say "right here"
Front wall
Front wall
Back & side walls
Back & side walls
Front & side (window) walls
Front & side (window) walls

neb
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 21:28

Looking good!! You keep us posted on your build. All holes dug by hand 3 feet deep.

R9R Photography
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 07:17

Update: got the trusses hauled up the hill to the site last weekend. Also aquired a truck load of firewood, got that up the hill as well. Next trip I should get the trusses nailed in.

R9R Photography
# Posted: 30 Dec 2014 19:30

Hola cabin amigos! Don't ask, I dunno.

Anyhoo - latest & greatest: roof all framed! Half a cord of firewood moved/stacked/tarped Even started on the plywood. Prolly needs a coat o' paint in the spring Roofing on order.

Side note: part of my Christmas from my Mom was a Sam's Club pack of Advil. Thank you thank you thank you
Roof framing & firewood
Roof framing & firewood
Plywood going up
Plywood going up

Smawgunner
# Posted: 30 Dec 2014 19:43

Lookin' good!!!

R9R Photography
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 20:52

OK - I've been slacking on my updates it would seem. Latest progress report: cabin is dried in!!! Roof on, plywood up, door & winders in! I'll attach some progress and finish pics here...

Now we can worry about heat - little things like that. And insulation.
Job site
Job site
Plywood up
Plywood up
Door, winders, roof!
Door, winders, roof!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 11:29

Looking quite habitable. Have you had an overnighter yet?

R9R Photography
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 19:35

Not yet. Just finished the roof last Sunday lol. Maybe this weekend, we'll see how it goes.

R9R Photography
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 10:36

Used the warmer weather yesterday to get the foam sealant/insulation done. Also took the oil lamps up and hung. Got them a while ago and used mostly for decor (and if power went out or whatever), but they'll be more use out there Kicking around getting a little bigger hanging lamp to put in the middle of the trusses, or 2 more of the wall ones. We'll see. CO detector too.

Think we've settled on the small military/camping wood stove (ebay) for heat instead of LP fireplace. So if anyone's looking for an LP fireplace cheap let me know lol
Lamp next to window
Lamp next to window
Lamp
Lamp

R9R Photography
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 10:52

neb

Hi there! A while ago we were discussing the military/camp wood stove...as I mentioned above we've pretty much decided on that route. Your setup seems to work well (at least at the time - hopefully it hasn't changed) when we were talking on another thread here. Has it still held up well? And for a relatively small investment in fiber board, blocks, and some flex pipe it seems like the ticket. I really only need a couple more feet. The chimney pipe that comes with it would get it to about the inside of the roof, not through and up tho.

R9R Photography
# Posted: 8 Feb 2015 15:15

Update: Got the couch up the hill (ouch ). And got the insulation hauled up the hill too. Probably going to order the hanging lamp from Lehmans. We'll see lol.

Not much picture worthy this trip. Plus after all that wasn't feelin' like stopping for a snapshot. Advil here I come!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.