Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New member building a 16x20 hunting cabin
. 1 . 2 . >>
Troutstudent
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 12:42

Been reading this forum and site for a while now and finally decided it was time to rebuild our hunting cabin that was burnt to the ground 6 years ago by an arsonist. The previous cabin was a 16x28 foot pole barn cabin but it was our weekend hunting get away for over 20 years. This cabin is going to be 16x20 and have a really short time to build it before the weather turns cold. Will be building it on pre formed blocks. It will be in southern Missouri near the Arkansas line just off of bull shoals lake. Will try to figure out how to post pictures as we go. Just started building back wall in my garage at home since I can't get away for another week and the build site is two hours from home. Doing the foundation in 2x6 and walls in 2x4. Hoping for a quick build since hunting season is already underway and my hunting buddy will be hard to drag away from the stand to help.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 14:31

A few pictures to get started
First load of wood
First load of wood
Back wall almost framed
Back wall almost framed
Old cabin area after it was burnt
Old cabin area after it was burnt

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 16:31

Maybe a big buck will get his rack stuck in the new construction. Good luck , I don't get anything done during season.

Owen

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 17:20

Quoting: Troutstudent
First load of wood

Nice truck.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 17:21

Not sure about a big buck getting stuck the outhouse area is kinda close. Finished the frame work of back wall and started on front wall now should be done framing it in an hour or so I'm hoping. Completely rookie at all this and even shot a nail trough a board and into my hand. Lesson learned don't have hand so close.
Back wall framed in
Back wall framed in

Troutstudent
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 17:24

Thanks, I love my truck.
Trip to Colorado last September got a little dirty
Trip to Colorado last September got a little dirty

Troutstudent
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 17:33

Working on front wall now.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 17:34

Front wall
Front wall going together
Front wall going together

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 19:44

Did the nail in the hand stop the work for a while? I know from experience that it's the next day that is hard to move the hand.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 5 Oct 2014 20:19

No it didn't stop the work, got the front wall framed besides the final for door and window. Then when I was wrapping that up and putting tools back up the house garage door broke so got to spend the next hour fixing that. Not sure why pics are coming up upside down and sideways of build. Should have some actual site pics next week after my hunting buddy gets back in town.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 19:56

Ok I've never done much of this before and not sure on doing windows or doors any advice? I built frame for bottom of window to give me right height but not sure after that. Two windows I bought look like the have a once inch gap for a piece of wood all the way around the window. They are very cheap windows and only 2x2 in size. Any help or advice would be great.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 21:57 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

looking forward to watching your hunting camp build...

I will be spending a lot of time at my hunting cabin in about 2 weeks...tis the season ;)....big bucks on the move soon

on your window framing ... check this video out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXfVf48rAug

Troutstudent
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 22:25

Thank you Turkey hunter, I've seen some of his other videos but had not located that one yet, that will help a lot. Believe we will be heading down next Wednesday to start the on site build. Hoping to have about five days to complete the cabin or at least get it mostly done. I'm thinking the foundation will take the most time.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 20:05

Ok I have a question I just can't put my head around if it's a 16x16 building with just over 8" walls how long will my rafter boards have to be? It will be in southern Missouri close to the Arkansas line with very minimal snow. I wouldn't worry about snow but worried about leaves and limbs cluttering the roof. I would like a small loft for my girls to be able to sleep up there with enough room for them to sit up on a bed padding on the loft floor without hitting their heads. How long should my rafters be? Thank you for the help and responses.

Lou Sifer
# Posted: 8 Oct 2014 08:33

An 8- 12 pitch will give 64 inches or so headroom
your rafter is A Squared plus B squared = C squared
A = width of building
8feet by 8 =64
B= height -64 inches headroom
C= your rafter length
so 64+
5.3 times 5.3 =28.09
5.3 is headroom in feet-5.3 feet
64 plus 28.09 =92.09=C squared
the square of that is 9.7 feet rafter
You have to add your overhang say 12 inches /
So buy a 12 footer.
If u snap this out full sized on your cabin floor u will see what it looks like.Half the roof snapped full size will be best.U have room for that.Use a chalk line or straight board

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Oct 2014 16:00

Yes like he said, just lay it out on the floor. A 12/12 pitch means up 12 over 12. So in half the width of a 16' wide there is a total rise of 8'. Although you need to deduct the thickness of the rafters and loft joists. An 8/12 pitch would rise only that 64'' mentioned , then take away rafter and floor joist thickness.

Owen

Troutstudent
# Posted: 8 Oct 2014 16:27

Sounds great thank you both for the help/info. I changed the floor plan to 16x16 instead of 16x20 just made it much easier for me with no experience. I will be going to the woods to build it next Wednesday. I should have 4 to 5 days, so hoping few issues so I can get it together in that time frame.

Jeremy
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 09:44

Troutstudent,

I started a build this summer and finally got it dried in last weekend. I have a 16x20 with a 12/12 pitch. We used 14 foot rafters so we could use the tail as an over hang where we will put the soffit in. On one side of the cabin we were able to use 12 footers as we didnt need the over hang due to a porch coming in on that side of the roof.

I have very little building construction experience. If this is new to you also, you may want to get help or hire someone to put the roof on. I had my uncle who is a roofing contractor guide me. I assisted him with it in other words... Lol Money well spent. My finish floor level is pretty high about 30" to 48" depending on what part of the cabin you are standing next to but we used walking planks from the loft to the gable ends and still had to use a 10 foot ladder to put the ridge beam on. Otherwise I may suggest ordering pre built truss.

A little extra money may be worth not falling and going to the hospital over...

I will upload more pictures today by my build is titles northern wisconsin cabin.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 16:36

I appreciate the info Jeremy, our cabin will be on the cement foundation blocks on our mostly rock ground and will only be approximately 12 inches off the ground. I have never put a roof on before but have applied shingles and tin to building roofs. I just haven't framed a roof before but have a little wall framing experience from 25 or so years ago. The area for loft will just be a bonus area for my girls to sleep when the come down during hunting season so it's not going be a big area. Just hoping I don't get rained out starting next Wednesday supposed to be raining at least next three days solid.

Jeremy
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 17:00

The loft is a nice platform to work on also. my loft is about half way across. What pitch are you thinking? 12/12 is nice because you can cut the rafters 3/4 inch from the correct measurment(to make up for the 1 1/2) and when you hang them from the ridge it sits perfect with the birds mouth cut out.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 17:05

I know the rafters will be longer than this but this is what a friend of mine drew up for me.
Roof drawing
Roof drawing

Jeremy
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 20:50

yeah thats what we did too. trial and error. we used 2x10's with a 2x12 ridge also.

Don_P
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 21:40

These might be of some help;
http://www.timbertoolbox.com/Calcs/raftercalc.htm
http://www.timbertoolbox.com/Calcs/ridgehgtclc.htm

razmichael
# Posted: 10 Oct 2014 08:20

Another application to look at is
Easy Rafters - 30 day free trial.
I used this to design my gambrel roof (with LVL ridge beam)

Troutstudent
# Posted: 10 Oct 2014 20:51

Thank you Don-P and razmichael those are both helpful and I will defentily use them to help.
I do have another question as this is primary a hunting cabin I'm considering putting tin on all sides and roof. Has anyone used tin on the sides and my hunting buddy suggested installing it horizontal instead of vertical since cabin is 16'. Any ideas on doing it?

toofewweekends
# Posted: 11 Oct 2014 15:55

Trout, I used tin roofing from a tear-down cabin as horizontal siding on a sauna. Ran about 48 inches off the bottom, then ran used T111 the rest of the way up. Just used roofing screws to attach it to the plywood underneath. I looks pretty good for a building made of mostly scrap materials. although the corners where the tin meets will be a little funky. I just remind myself, it's a sauna not furniture

Bevis
# Posted: 11 Oct 2014 15:59

There is a guy in my hunting club that put the tin on the sides and the roof. Looks good. He put it up vertical. Its the Ag panel from Home Depot.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 11 Oct 2014 18:04

Yes our previous hunting cabin was a pole barn with tin all the way around and on top, funny how an arsonist can burn the entire structure completly even though it was mostly tin. I have. A place close by to get galvanized tin 3'x16' and am thinking just running it horizontal would save a lot of expense and cutting since building is going to be 16' wide on all sides. Our previous tin pole barn lasted around 30 years before it was burnt. We are two miles in on on a old wagon trail and surrounded by private on three sides and corp one the other that goes to the lake. We will be heading down Wednesday to actually start besides the two walls I have framed at home. I'll check Home Depot for ag panelling. Hopefully Ill have some pics to post in a few days.

Don_P
# Posted: 11 Oct 2014 18:49

Quoting: toofewweekends
the corners where the tin meets will be a little funky

The local metal roofing supplier can usually make trim pieces out of matching metal. If nothing else take a look at vinyl siding corners for something to modify and copy in metal.

Troutstudent
# Posted: 12 Oct 2014 15:58 - Edited by: Troutstudent

Believe after everything is said and done (only thing left to purchase is tin) our 16x16 hunting cabin will cost right at $3000.00. Not too bad. Have to pick up tin siding on way to build location but everything else is ready to go for next week. Then hopefully the next trip we will add the 4x12 porch on it to be able to sit outside during bad weather.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.