Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 10' x 15' Shed at "Xanadu"
indigo
# Posted: 31 Jul 2010 18:48 - Edited by: indigo

Hi all. I really enjoy looking at everyone else's projects / progress, so I thought I'd start posting some of my own.

I bought 6 acres in WI in April 2009, and since then have managed to build a (fancy) shed and an outhouse for a bucket toilet. The next set of projects include:

- summer kitchen
- solar shower
- chimney/woodstove set up
- wall insulation/interiors
Exterior Finished! (mostly)
Exterior Finished! (mostly)
Outhouse
Outhouse
Property Last Winter
Property Last Winter

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 1 Aug 2010 01:22

indigo,

I really like your shed. I'm working on one for my mother but for myself I much prefer your design. What else can you tell me about it?

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9024.0

I should finish her shed in August and will begin on mine in Sept. Our family has some acreage and enough room for about three cabins eventually. The sheds come first.

indigo
# Posted: 1 Aug 2010 22:22

Mike,

Thanks for the comment. Where is your shed located? The pictures remind me of New Mexico.

A little more about my project...the inspiration for the basic design came from a project for modern looking shed from ReadyMade magazine a few years back, and from there I used SketchUp to merge that base concept with various other design wants like a front porch, roof overhang, operable windows, etc.

It's has 2x4 walls with 16" centers, plywood sheathing, a Tyvek wrap, and LP Smartside for the siding.

For the foundation, I used the Dek-block piers after learning about them on this site. So far so good, and after the freeze/thaw of the first winter things were as plumb and level as ever.

The roof is metal, which I decided to go with so that I could collect rainwater. Here are a few more photos of the construction process, which was carried out over 2.5 days last fall and another 2.5 days this spring.
Floor deck
Floor deck
Roofing
Roofing
Wall framing
Wall framing
Walls, roof and door!
Walls, roof and door!

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 1 Aug 2010 23:26

Our property is in Southern Idaho. We have 80 acres of rocks to build on.

Is that a 4ft. roof overhang? I have to deal with up to 3ft. of snow so I will have to have a pretty beefy roof and probably a steeper pitch.

I do need to get a better drawing tool. My wife and I want to build a modern shed followed by a modern 'cabin'.

I'm going to set concrete piers on the rocks that are ~1ft. under the surface.

Modern looks simple but the proportions are very important.

Wilbour
# Posted: 2 Sep 2015 10:32

indigo

Was that your place featured in Tiny Homes today?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.