Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 17x24 cabin inTX
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
nathanprincipe
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 16:54

Hey Guys, finally getting around to posting the progress of my cabing build in East Tx. My wife and I started in Oct 2009, we still arnt even half way though. We set out to build a 16X24 cabin with a loft, and somewhere along the way it became 17x24. so here it is so far
the land before we cleared it
the land before we cleared it
after a hards day work
after a hards day work
the post came next
the post came next
after we set double 2x12 beams
after we set double 2x12 beams

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 17:19

a few more
the concept drawing ( going to eliminate the 2 dormers above the main living area
the concept drawing ( going to eliminate the 2 dormers above the main living area
beam reinforcements
beam reinforcements
homemade floor trusses assemble in my garage, man that was alot of work!
homemade floor trusses assemble in my garage, man that was alot of work!
another view of the trusses
another view of the trusses

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 17:23

more pics
sheathing the floor with 3/4 t&g
sheathing the floor with 3/4 t&g
my lovely wife applying sealer
my lovely wife applying sealer
the finished floor
the finished floor
view from teh ground
view from teh ground

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 17:27

more pics
started framing the walls
started framing the walls
more walls
more walls
back wall
back wall
the porch is in
the porch is in

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 17:30

still more
texas heat!
texas heat!
stairs are in
stairs are in
added additional 4x6 post to reinforce the load, spacing is now 4' o.c.
added additional 4x6 post to reinforce the load, spacing is now 4' o.c.
bathroom framed, and arch way to kitchen area
bathroom framed, and arch way to kitchen area

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 17:35

keepin em comin
view of gabled wall from kitchen area
view of gabled wall from kitchen area
started framing loft floor above bathroom and kitchen
started framing loft floor above bathroom and kitchen
more loft framing
more loft framing
finished loft floor, used plain old white pine 2x6 flooring
finished loft floor, used plain old white pine 2x6 flooring

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 17:42

this is my progress to date, I will be constructing the loft walls this weekend and finishing the deck, next comes sheathing the rest of the structure before the roof goes up.
another view looking down from the loft into the main living area
another view looking down from the loft into the main living area
started some sheathing, im using smartsiding painted green for all the exterior except for the porch
started some sheathing, im using smartsiding painted green for all the exterior except for the porch
stared the deck off the main living area, dimensions are 17x8
stared the deck off the main living area, dimensions are 17x8
another view of the deck
another view of the deck

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 17:44

You have been very busy.

Thanks for sharing!

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 9 Aug 2010 11:16

Went out this weekend and put up the loft walls, forgot to take pics tho :( had a few helpers this time, but with the heat at 105 one by one we all dropped like flies and had to call it a day. I will be back in a week or so and will post more then

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 18 Aug 2010 23:24

Went out to the cabin and finished the loft wall framing for the most part, and finished laying all the deck boards that wont interfere with future construction steps. next on the list is to finish the sheathing before the roof framing starts, enjoy the pics

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 18 Aug 2010 23:27

heres the pics
view of loft
view of loft
another view
another view
another view
another view
view of deck
view of deck

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 18 Aug 2010 23:29

views from the outside
view 1
view 1
view2
view2
view 3
view 3

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 19 Aug 2010 08:53

Great work, nathanprincipe!
Thanks for sharing pix of your cabin building project.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 8 Sep 2010 23:01

Got a little more work done on the cabin last Friday, put up all of the smart-siding on around the 1st floor level, yet to cut the windows and doors out. I have 1 more trip to tie up various loose ends, then up goes the roof. Im so excited to see the cabin completely dried in, cant wait!
cabin_sheathing_001..jpg
cabin_sheathing_001..jpg
cabin_sheathing_002..jpg
cabin_sheathing_002..jpg
cabin_sheathing_003..jpg
cabin_sheathing_003..jpg
cabin_sheathing_004..jpg
cabin_sheathing_004..jpg

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 25 Sep 2010 21:50

Took some helpers to the cabin today and started to frame the loft roof, this took more time then expected seeing this is my first time. I was pleasantly surprised when everything fit together as planned tho. I havent mentioned before, but, I am pre measuring and cutting everything at home and taking it out in pieces to put up bc there is no power yet. Im including some other pics we have taken o fother areas aswell, enjoy!

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 25 Sep 2010 21:53

Here they are
view from main living area
view from main living area
ground view from behind
ground view from behind
ground view looking at the deck
ground view looking at the deck
ground view from front
ground view from front

unixfmike
# Posted: 27 Sep 2010 21:19

Well that's coming along just fine. That looks like it would be great for full time living.

--MikeW

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 17 Nov 2010 22:09

Been a while since I updated this thread. I recently finished the roof framing and started install purlins getting ready for my metal roof. To finish the exterior I still lack some framing, some sheathing, the metal roof, trim, windows and doors ( I will have power in the near future also) enjoy

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 17 Nov 2010 22:52

Thanks for the update Nathan. Looks like you might have a roof before winter sets in. What is the reason for the tall foundation? Are you improving your view?

I'm going through building withdrawal. I need to get re-focused and start on some bathroom vanities for the house.

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Nov 2010 05:33

somebodies gonna have a pretty grand place in the woods.hand work does pay off.thanks for sharing.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 18 Nov 2010 09:15

thanks guys! Mike, you are right, when fall and winter hit we can see thru the trees from the deck to the lake, also I just think its cool :) the roof will come soon but Im not sure if we will beat winter tho, but thats ok because we are in TX and working on a metal roof in the winter sure beats summer! plus if it snows it will be like only 1" and last for maybe 1 day! haha

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 31 Dec 2010 13:21

heres a few updated pics, still getting ready for the metal roof but I installed more purlins, got the electrical ready for the services drop, and finished the dormer window framing, enjoy!

islandguy
# Posted: 31 Dec 2010 14:10

Thats looking really great. I also used the same siding on my 16x24 cabin. You can use it as both sheathing and siding in one, but you have already sheathed, as I had when installing the siding. I cant tell from the pics, are you letting it hang an inch or so from your framing so it allows a "drip lip?" Also, are you using any wrapping or tarpaper, or is it not commonly used in dry dusty Texas?
Great looking place, keep the pics coming.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 31 Dec 2010 16:45

thanks for the kind words Islandguy. Actually I did use the smart siding as a sheathing and siding in one, the exposed osb will get house wrap and cedar siding. Most houses do you use house wrap for the entire house but I opted not to use it under the smart siding ( hope I dont regret it!) Also, Putting up the siding that high off the ground was challenging! so what you are seeing as a "drip edge" is probably just imperfections! haha........ notice that I dont have too many "close up detail shots" because there are alot of small imperfections, but I m learning alot at least :)

Timberjack
# Posted: 1 Jan 2011 07:52

Awesome cabin nathan! Looking forward to more updates! Also, I noticed that you added some 6x6 posts to your foundation. How difficult was it to get those installed? I would think you had to lift the area with a jack to get the posts under the band to help carry the load. Details?

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 1 Jan 2011 14:38

Thanks Timberjack. It actually wasnt as hard as it looks. I dug the hole for the post a little wider than normal to allow me to slip it in at an angle, once in the hole ( still at full length) I pushed it snug to the beam and made my mark to cut the post to the correct lenght. It took a little pursuation from the back side of an ax to get it to nudge under the beam but its a pretty tight fit. Im not sure how much of the load it is carrying, but if the beam ever sags a little or the cabin settles a bit then it will be carrying its full load. The reason for this is purely because I was doubting my decision to build that high in 4x4 post alone. If i could do it again I would try to save the extra bucks and go with 6x6 ( or even 8x8) posts from the start and be done with it

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 23 Jan 2011 23:03

Nathan,

Spectacular job! Keep posting as you get things finished up. I'm impressed with all the fine workmanship!

~Elk

pmichelsen
# Posted: 3 Feb 2011 10:44

Glad to see I'm not the only one building a cabin with electrical service. Looks good, can wait to see pictures with the roof on.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 3 Feb 2011 12:32

actually pmichelsen, up till the point you see in the pics we were using hand tools and a cordless saw. You will notice in the last few pics that the service was yet to be hooked up. We pre cut most everything at our home and brought it out for assembly. We now have power and things are moving more swiftly. As soon as I buy a new usb cord for my new phone I will up load more current photos. We have broke ground on the metal roof but didnt get far as I cut my nose open and needed stitches. When the weather makes a turn for the better we will get back after it

pmichelsen
# Posted: 3 Feb 2011 12:53

I meant in the end; I see a lot of people's projects seem to be off grid and I felt a little out of place with my electric service, running water, and septic system. So it was nice to see another project that will eventually have electric service. Though I think mine will still be out of place, ha.

Can't wait to see the new pictures.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.